IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Power Strike (Sega Master System) 25 mins

Astro Warrior (Sega Master System) 8 mins

Thunder Force III (Genesis) 22 mins

Fire Shark (Genesis) 43 mins

Task Force Harrier EX (Genesis) 32 mins

Mega Bomberman (Genesis) 35 mins

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) 41 mins

Arrow Flash (Genesis) 28 mins

Super Mario 64 (N64 but played on Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch) 36 mins

Super Mario World (SNES but also played on Switch) 12 mins

• Like 4

Sega CD Spider-man vs the Kingpin. 8 hours. 

I was exploring nightmare difficulty and mapping the locations of the comic books. I discovered that the comic books' hidden locations are randomized.  Thus any guide you will find online is incorrect. I mapped out three full play sessions worth of comic book locations and there was no pattern for the 21 comic books across all the different City locations.   Nightmare difficulty makes it more important to keep collecting web icons, which are mostly plentiful. Venom makes more frequent cameo appearances across the levels. And I think you have to hit the enemies one or two extra times. It really doesn't make the game much harder though. 

It surprised me that I enjoyed the game perhaps more than I did back in the day. The rock music even hit all the right notes with me this time, and I liked the faster more fluid gameplay compared to the Genesis version.

• Like 5

Let's try this again after an anxiety-fueled hiatus, lol.  I keep trying to work on DK Jr, but I just don't have a good rhythm down like I did in the 80s- BurgerTime still is one of my all-time-favorite arcade games.

Arcade:

BurgerTime - 75 minutes

Centipede - 17 minutes

Tempest - 17 minutes

Donkey Kong Jr - 12 minutes

Famicom/NES:

Dragon Quest 2 - 256 minutes

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 4

Gameboy

Burgertime Deluxe 36

Donkey Kong Land 2 41

Donkey Kong Land 3 22

Gameboy Color

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces 74

Game and Watch Gallery 2 40

Lo Zelda Oracle of Ages 9

Lo Zelda Oracle of Seasons 44

Mario Tennis 28

Micro Machines 1&2 Twin Turbo 67

Pokemon Pinball 47

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe 17

Warlocked 60

A big week for me on the Gameboy(s).  My goal has been to try and play all my Gameboy carts, and I've largely succeeded at that (you'll see the GBA time in the Modern Tracker).  This upcoming week, I'm going to focus on 20 or so specific games across all three handhelds.

Notes from this group:
I actually purchased Burgertime Deluxe last week and played it almost as soon as it arrived.  I'd read online that the game has new and different levels from the arcade and even cut scenes.  It does!  It was neat to experience something "new" in Burgertime after all these years.

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces pulled me in right away.  The game is VERY similar to the classic NES version, but it has a bunch of new things thrown in.  I can see how I might have wanted to skip over this game BitD because it is so similar to the NES version, but playing it now feels like I am finally uncovering some deleted scenes or a director's cut or something.

Warlocked is a campaigned-based RTS game for the GBC - weird right?!  The first hour was great, and I plan to play it more.

Micro Machines 1&2 Twin Turbo is apparently just like the NES games.  I really thought that I had played those games, but apparently I had not because these were totally new to me.  Honestly, I thought the gameplay was a bit too easy, and I just kept winning race after race.  I did lose eventually, but I kinda wanted it to end . . .

• Like 4

Coming in a little late with the post this week on account of a really busy day today, but it was a good week for gaming! I got in a little more time in Breath of the Wild on the Switch, finished up my second playthrough of DOOM Eternal on the Xbox One, and checked out Doom Zero; the latest add-on for classic Doom on the Switch. I think Doom Zero might be my favorite fan made add-on yet, since the levels really do feel like classic Id Software designed levels. There's some pretty cool new sound effects too!

For the spousal unit's gaming time this past week we sat down and played The Lion King for the Genesis together on Wednesday night, which was my first time playing the game since I was a little kid back in probably 1994 or 1995, and it was her first time playing it ever. The Lion King is a beautiful game with great animation and music, but holy heck is it ever hard! Like, "sodomizes your grandmother while pouring sugar in your gas tank" hard. We played it all night until the sun was coming up and ended up making it to the second adult Simba stage in the lava caves, but promptly ran out of lives and continues and crashed and burned there. That level seems darn near unbeatable to me, though I know some people have actually done it. 

For the rest of her gaming time this week, the misses spent a few hours over the weekend enjoying the copy of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy that I gave her for Christmas. I remembered that she really liked the original Phoenix Wright on the DS, so importing a copy of the trilogy from the Switch ended up being a great gift idea. The visuals have been bumped up to HD resolution and thankfully the Japanese import physical copy of the Phoenix Wright Trilogy does have an English language option to make it play just like the US digital release.

That's all for this week, but best wishes and happy gaming to all of you and I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season! :)

Ineligible

Doom [Classic]: Doom Zero (Nintendo Switch) - 40 minutes

DOOM Eternal (Xbox One) - 322 minutes

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (Nintendo Switch) - 225 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch) - 175 minutes

Sega Genesis
The Lion King - 187 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

949 minutes (15 hours 49 minutes) [187 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 440 minutes

Xbox One: 322 minutes

Sega Genesis: 187 minutes

• Like 6

I put in a decent amount of time this week, here are some of the old school games that I played.

Atari 2600

Demon Attack             -10 Minutes Again this is one of my favorite shooters for the system, and it is really challenging. I keep trying to get past the 7th or 8th level but am having a hard time doing so.

Solar Fox                     -10 Minutes  I need to figure out the patterns a little more, because I keep on getting stuck in areas where the enemies shoot at me and I have no where to go. Maybe I'm missing a certain escape route that I'm not seeing. Either way this is a really fun game

NES

Gradius                         -10 Minutes   This is a really good shooter for the NES, but it is a rather difficult one. It is really fun to play and I would recommend it to anyone.

Metroid                          -115 Minutes  I finally beat this game since first seeing it the late 80's. If I had this game as a kid,  I don't think I ever would have been able to get through this game, and I especially wouldn't have been able to beat the final boss. I needed to use a walkthrough as for it is a very puzzling game the first time playing it through to the end. I think this is one of those games that helped define the phrase "Nintendo Hard" and I definitely needed save states to complete this game with a more anxiety free experience. Either way this game is a classic and I would highly recommend it.

PS1

Metal Gear Solid              -75 Minutes This is a stealth game  and it is really fun to explore the world. I am enjoying trying to complete this game, and just like Metroid it is very puzzling at times. Its funny both Metroid and Metal Gear are similar in the sense that I would never find certain areas, or it would just take me a really long time to do so, if I didnt look at a walk through at certain times. This is a very good game and would recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 52, running from December 21 - 27. We logged 3771 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Bases Loaded (NES/Famicom) - 658 min. (#9)
2. Spiderman vs. the Kingpin (Sega CD) - 480 min.
3. Dragon Quest II (Dragon Warrior II) (NES/Famicom) - 256 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 198 min. (#5)
5. Lion King (Genesis) - 187 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 149 min. (#8)
7. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 130 min. (#7)
8. Metroid (NES/Famicom) - 115 min.
9. Mappy (Arcade) - 81 min.
10. BurgerTime (Arcade) - 75 min.
10. Demons to Diamonds (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
10. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation) - 75 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 198 min. (PN#1)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 149 min. (PN#3)
3. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 130 min. (PN#2)
4. Mappy (Arcade) - 81 min. (PN#8)
5. BurgerTime (Arcade) - 75 min.
5. Demons to Diamonds (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 68 min. (PN#4)
8. Lady Bug (ColecoVision) - 50 min.
9. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - 40 min.
10. Gaplus (Arcade) - 31 min. (PN#5)

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (1123) (#8)
2. Atari 2600 (703) (#1)
3. Sega CD (480) (#2)
4. Genesis (422)
5. Game Boy Color (386) (#5)
6. Arcade (233) (#7)
7. ColecoVision (130)
8. Game Boy (99) (#6)
9. PlayStation (75)
10. Atari 8-bit (39)

In the 11th inning (yes, I know a regular game normally doesn't exceed nine unless it is a tie), Bases Loaded hits a home run and wins the totals, almost three hours ahead of Spiderman and the Kingpin. The pre-NES list is a bit similar to last week, except that Kaboom! and Jr. Pac-Man exchange places 2-3. Systems wise, the NES/Famicom has a strong week and becomes the most played.

No new entries to the 1000, 5000, 10000 minute clubs.

Note that the current week is a short one that ends at New Year so please post your minutes for Dec 28-31 by Saturday. Just like I wrote in the modern tracker, I haven't determined if we'll have a short 3 day week at the start of the year or extend it to 10 days. Comments are welcome, though I realize that week numbers won't match the calendar if the first week is extended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think extending it is fine. At least, I think it makes more sense than only having 3 days, which is kind of short. Probably easier for you to deal with, as well, unless the whole thing is automated.

I'll finish the year with Akumajou Densetsu, which was the first game I beat this year (somewhere around noon on January 1st, actually) to hopefully make it the last game I beat this year as well, and also a little bit of PS2 on modern side before it becomes old and gets kicked over here and then I'll start the year with the PS2 since it will magically be old. Looking forward to the PS2 joining the list of old systems in next year's tracker.

• Like 2

Ok. We'll finish off this year on New Year's Eve and have the first week of 2021 run between January 1-10.

It seems that week numbers are not consequent anyway, and depends from country to country whether you consider the week to begin on Sunday or Monday. Some calendars even wrongly denote Jan 1-2 (or 1-3 depending on when a new week begins) as week #52 when if anything it should be #53 or #0.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2020 at 9:44 AM, Atarian7 said:

Solar Fox

Do you ever get stuck in a position where there's nowhere to go in this game and all the enemy shots coming at you are across the whole screen?

On 12/28/2020 at 9:33 PM, agb said:

Solaris

This looks like a really fun game, I am going to try to play this game in the current week.

On 12/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, digdugnate said:

Let's try this again after an anxiety-fueled hiatus, lol.  I keep trying to work on DK Jr, but I just don't have a good rhythm down like I did in the 80s- BurgerTime still is one of my all-time-favorite arcade games.

Arcade:

BurgerTime - 75 minutes

Sorry to hear you've had allot of anxiety recently, I hope things are getting a little better now. I also like Burgertime, but I don't think I've ever played the arcade version.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, wongojack said:

Burgertime Deluxe 36

Micro Machines 1&2

I also heard good things about the gameboy version of Burgertime. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this game. Have you ever tried playing Micro Machines for the Nintendo 64, I thought that was a fun game to play.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:31 AM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

That's all for this week, but best wishes and happy gaming to all of you and I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season!

Thanks and the same to you. Happy Holidays to everyone here as well

12 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok. We'll finish off this year on New Year's Eve and have the first week of 2021 run between January 1-10.

As always thanks for listing the game times for that week, I really do appreciate it

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

Not much this time, as I was focusing on finishing Mary Skelter Finale on modern side one more time before the year ended so I can finish writing that damn strategy guide that I started for it. I'm actually taking a break from writing that to post this and have not calculated my modern times yet. I will sleep before I do that, so my post for modern side will be considerably later than usual. Don't worry, I'm not dead or anything.

Game Gear
Game Gear Micro White credits - 3

Yes, the credits of the Game Gear Micro White are a game.
GG Aleste 3 - 40

This is a new Aleste game that was created specifically for the Aleste Collection and the Game Gear Micro White, which were both released on the 24th, and it definitely pushes the Game Gear's hardware. They are currently planning on not making any Game Gear carts for this game, so you can only play it on the PS4, Switch, and Game Gear Micro White, and I am assuming it runs on emulation in all instances. Of note is its title. The previous game used the Roman numeral II, but this one uses the Arabic 3. Do you know how to pronounce Aleste without doing any research? I do, but I bet you don't...

Mark III/Master System
Aleste - 3
Aleste Easy - 5

This is a new official ROM hack of Aleste that was released on the 24th as part of the Aleste Collection and the Game Gear Micro, where it is selectable as its own game, separate from Aleste. It's Aleste, but easier.

FC/NES
Akumajou Densetsu - 69
This was the first game I beat in 2020 (around noon on Jan. 1st), and it was also the last. Landed final blow only a few seconds after the clock hit midnight on the 31st!

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Neo Turf Masters - 7

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

Well, it wasn't much gaming I had time for in this last few days.

Atari 2600: (on AFP)

Atari Video Checkers - 10 min.

ZX Spectrum: (emulated)

Spell of Christmas Ice, A - 5 min.

The A8 adventure game we play in the HSC is a children's game made in The Quill, ported from the ZX Spectrum. As it was unclear if the port was complete or not, I played through the game on the ZX to verify it contains everything except for some beeps and colour changes.

Also I had a few midnight goes at Checkers but I'm not really familiar with the strategy (though I understand the rules) so it was fruitless. Othello/Reversi is more my type of board game.

• Like 2