IGNORED

Question for the Intellivisionaries

I watched your video on making a Flashback controller that allows simultaneous disc/button pressing. I would like to get a Flashback Intellivision controller adaptor to use a Flashback controller on an Intellivision II, and possibly one of these controllers you made in the video depending on the price. Tedious work, I almost feel guilty to order one! I actually came across a spare controller, but the front smaller frame is falling off. I put a rubber band on it temporarily. Any solutions for this type of problem?

20191229_154107.jpg

20191229_223039.jpg

20191229_223048.jpg

20191230_185417.jpg

You add the argument  --kbdhackfile=  to the jzintv command, but that might not help.  Side buttons should work without a hackfile.  The keypad however is not expected to work without one.  Does the controller test ok with a real intellivision?  Do all four side buttons not work?  Does keypad 4 make it go right?

Edit:

Use this web site to test your controller.

https://html5gamepad.com

Edited by mr_me

I tested the extra controller on an Intellivision and the wrong buttons made 1 and 2, I think I pressed 4 and 5. The disc and fire buttons worked. I tested the original controller on the emulator and no keypad buttons or fire buttons registered. The disc worked. I tested the extra controller on the emulator and got the values you see here on the left side keypad. 1, 4, and clear. The rest of the keypad and fire buttons did not register. I think the kbdhackfile is used for that. I dont know how to use it, it gave an error so far. It needs a .txt file thats a .cfg file. I cant save the .txt as .cfg.

RightInt.jpg

LeftInt80or08.jpg

IntvControllerTest.jpg

First test the controller using that link I posted earlier.  If buttons and directions don't work through that website test, there would be nothing you can do in jzintv to fix it. 

Pin 1 is used for disc left as well as the bottom row keypad.  Pin 6 is used for the left column keypad and top side button.  You'd think pin 1 isn't working but we know it works with the clear button.  It looks like pin six might not be working.  You'd have to take the controller apart and figure out where it's failing.

Edited by mr_me

I tested the extra controller on an Intellivision and the wrong buttons made 1 and 2, I think I pressed 4 and 5. The disc and fire buttons worked. I tested the original controller on the emulator and no keypad buttons or fire buttons registered. The disc worked. I tested the extra controller on the emulator and got the values you see here on the left side keypad. 1, 4, and clear. The rest of the keypad and fire buttons did not register. I think the kbdhackfile is used for that. I dont know how to use it, it gave an error so far. It needs a .txt file thats a .cfg file. I cant save the .txt as .cfg.

Not sure why it posted the same message again. Will that website test the controller if you download the page and use it offline? Internet's not working lately. The funny thing is the disc automatically works and the buttons dont, when I run Guintv with Jzintv. I tested the player 2 controller today with the same result. I played a few games of Bump and Jump with the 2nd player controller and Jzintv by pressing shift to jump and the disc to steer.

You can test on any computer that has internet access and supports usb game controllers.  You can also use any macintosh game controller test utility you can find to test your controller and adapter.  If you have access to a windows computer you can test using its built-in game controller test utility.  If you have a real working intellivision tested with other controllers, you can test it there.

• 6 months later...

Slightly old topic, but I just saw it now...

I'm not currently making Dual Action Controllers.  They require 2 'donor' Flashback controllers to make one.  And in case it's not clear, I can't make one using any other Intellivision controller (original, Sears, Intellivision II) due to the way the circuit matrix connects to the wiring, and the way I layer two circuit matrices together inside the controller housing.  The Flashback controllers lend themselves to the modifications I do to make the controllers (as shown in my video), the others do not.

And yes, it is a lot of work!  When I was making them a couple years ago I was charging $70 if you supplied the two Flashback controllers, $100 if I did.  I have a few Flashback controllers, but they're ones I use, and a couple spares/backups.  If someone wants to send me the 2 donor controllers, I might make more.  As of 2018 - including my personal prototype Dual Action Controller - I have made 21 of them (most of them were purchased by Atari Age users - you know who you are).  And no, @cmart604 didn't buy more than one. ;-P

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, nurmix said:

And no, @cmart604 didn't buy more than one. ?

Just tell him that there are two different versions ... on the inside. You know, the blobs of solder are shinier in one than the other. That'll get him riled. oh, wait - did I say that out loud? And no, you do not want to be around when he's riled. Or so I hear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 12:03 PM, nurmix said:

And yes, it is a lot of work!  When I was making them a couple years ago I was charging $70 if you supplied the two Flashback controllers, $100 if I did.  I have a few Flashback controllers, but they're ones I use, and a couple spares/backups.  If someone wants to send me the 2 donor controllers, I might make more.  As of 2018 - including my personal prototype Dual Action Controller - I have made 21 of them (most of them were purchased by Atari Age users - you know who you are).  And no, @cmart604 didn't buy more than one. ?

Speaking of, somewhere in my attic is a box with two Flashback controllers that never got sent to you. At least I hope they're up there. ? happened, stuff got tossed around, and I hope nothing important ended up in the trash.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:49 AM, gunoz said:

Speaking of, somewhere in my attic is a box with two Flashback controllers that never got sent to you. At least I hope they're up there. ? happened, stuff got tossed around, and I hope nothing important ended up in the trash.

Well, since you were on my list back in 2018, if you manage to find those two Flashback controllers I may be persuaded to finally make your Dual Action Controller (yours would be #22).  Of course @cmart604 might object to there being one more controller in the world, as it may affect rarity/value/bragging rights for him in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1