IGNORED

Newby trying to load playfield after title screen

enginpost

I am completely 100% new to batari basic. I am having fun so far with basic tutorials. I am wondering if I could get a little code review help.  In my attached file I load a basic title screen and then, after a few cycles, try to load the actual playfield.

The title screen appears, but the playfield never does. Could someone have a look and, if possible, point me in the right direction?

game.bas

Hi and welcome, so after having a quick look in notepad++ i noticed you haven't defined the alias to an variable. I have commented out what you had and defined an variable to the alias you were using as a counter.

I haven't tried to compile however it should be what you're looking for. Also it will probably go to a static or black screen as your program is not finished ie: you still need to add the new playfield and game loop. Hope this helps.

See attached: gamefix.bas

The problem is with your variable declaration:

rem ----- init variables -----

dim _title_frame = 1

You need to use dim to set your variable to one of the built-in variables (a-z), and then set the value to 1.

rem ----- init variables -----

dim _title_frame = a
 _title_frame = 1

After making this change, it works as you were intending, although 10 cycles is a little too short for a title screen to display (60 cycles = 1 second).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, enginpost said:

oh ok - thank you so much. now i get it!  This helps. One thing I have noticed is that many of games out there seem to have higher resolution playfield. Is that a kernel setting to get a more detailed field?

No worries yeah check out here on RT's site for kernel options ect

6 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

No worries yeah check out here on RT's site for kernel options ect

RT's site is amazing. I too am a new bB'er but after reviewing that site and playing around with the various kernels with each of their pros and cons I feel that I had been able to progress greatly and have been personally satisfied with the results 

• Like 2