IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Able to Use Wireless Controllers of 9?

I was looking at a teardown of a FB9 Gold and noticed a structure labeled "antenna" on the mainboard that is identical to something I noticed on the FBX deluxe.  It may be possible for someone with expertise beyond mine to enable bluetooth on this and get the wireless controllers from the FB9 Gold to work with the X.  I am not sure if the X has the radio on the board (don't even know what to look for).

fb9gold.png

fb10dx.png

• Like 1

I just picked up a cheap FB9 Gold on eBay. I’m going to open it up and examine the boards to see if there are any components connected to that antenna that are missing on the FBX Deluxe’s board. I suppose before doing any of that, I will simply put batteries in the controllers and see if the FBX Deluxe picks them up. Who knows? Maybe it’s already built for them but shipped with wired ones to cut costs.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I ended up purchasing a used FB9 Gold and it turns out the FBX did not recognize the wireless controllers. I tried updating the FBX firmware just in case the newest version had wireless capabilities, but still no luck.

I would love if anyone could figure out a way to make this work, if it's possible.

So i took high quality pics so you can see that there is nothing for the bluetooth. There arent any capacitors or resistors and the two chips that appear to go to the fb9 (he posted bad pics so cant say 100%) uses for the bluetooth are missing on the front and back of the fbx board

https://m.imgur.com/a/1iK6L6c.jpg

https://m.imgur.com/a/HvYrZd9.jpg

I wonder if I could use another replacement controller for FBX. The original one is not bad, but it has very short cable and I would like to play on my chair instead of a floor. I like my Atari Vault Bundle USB controller which has very long cable which can I use with my another SBC emulation machine. It would be fine to have also the original FBX style controller.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:31 PM, Serpentor said:

I was looking at a teardown of a FB9 Gold and noticed a structure labeled "antenna" on the mainboard that is identical to something I noticed on the FBX deluxe.  It may be possible for someone with expertise beyond mine to enable bluetooth on this and get the wireless controllers from the FB9 Gold to work with the X.  I am not sure if the X has the radio on the board (don't even know what to look for).

fb9gold.png

fb10dx.png

Any chance you can take better quality pics of the motherboard so i can see traces and numbers and chips so i can compare to flashback x to see if i can just buy a flashback 9 and steal all the bluetooth circuits and put it all in the flashback x. The flashback x motherboard has spots on the backside where i believe the ic chips for the bluetooth plus some capacitors go. Plus the oscillator and other caps on the top side. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2020 at 9:22 PM, pimpmaul69 said:

Any chance you can take better quality pics of the motherboard so i can see traces and numbers and chips so i can compare to flashback x to see if i can just buy a flashback 9 and steal all the bluetooth circuits and put it all in the flashback x. The flashback x motherboard has spots on the backside where i believe the ic chips for the bluetooth plus some capacitors go. Plus the oscillator and other caps on the top side. 

Sorry, I just now got back on here and saw your message.  I will work on getting pics tonight and post them tonight or tomorrow.

Although I've not messed with it at all, I observed on the FB X that there are two new binaries in the /emulator partition, one named "serialinput" and one named "wireless".  The "serialinput" binary is being executed immediately before launching the UI, presumably to handle the wired controller input as a sort of daemon.  The "wireless" binary is not being used at all, and I can't say exactly what it does or whether it is even functional.  FWIW.

I just acquired a flashback 9 gold and while it all looks like the same hardware could be used in the fb9 gold could be used in the x for the 2.4ghz, there are different traces going to the clock (which isnt on the x either) and a few other places, means the 2 chips designed to be used in the x must be newer/different chips.  

• 10 months later...

If anyone finds out what chips need to be purchased/installed, I'm totally up for doing it to mine.  That would definitely make it more worth using, imo.  I wonder if AtGames would be willing to give us that info.  Would probably be difficult to get hold of the right person who could find out unless you had the right contacts.

To me, the X is nice from a "mini" appearance accurate standpoint, but as for functionality, I prefer the 9 Gold.  Those wireless controllers are great.  I prefer the front controller ports and even the looks of the 9 as well, except for those round system buttons.  Eventually, I want to 3D print some black ones, maybe with a smaller silver circle inlaid.

Edited by KevinMos3

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...