IGNORED

FS: Various Atari 2600 and 7800 consoles

Cmherndon79

Hi there,

I'm newly registered to AtariAge, but I've read posts for a long time and received a few gifts and bought from the store.  About 6 months ago my wife was laid off and I decided to start refurbishing old consoles and several months ago settled on working on Atari systems almost exclusively.  I've reconditioned over 40 2600s now and one 7800.  On the 2600 I replace the 2200uF capacitor, any 47uF electrolytic caps (1-4), the 2 polystyrene audio capacitors, any .22uF chicklet caps (0-2), voltage regulator and power jack, sourced from Console5.  Most of these I AV mod, which I know can be controversial around here, but even composite video isn't easily accessible to people that don't have an older TV or can or want to find an old VCR.  I never mod the heavy sixers with AV though, only repair and recondition those.  

If anyone is looking for anything specific, I have on hand a few heavy sixers currently, some 7800s yet to be worked on, but I have new stuff coming all the time. Feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi @davidcalgary29 .  Thanks for your interest.  I've currently got everything I've got for sale (12 Atari 2600's I think currently) on my eBay page, all of them cleaned, reworked, burned-in and fully tested.  My username is the same as here, cmherndon79, so if you're interested in something you can search there under my username.  Those listings are often bundles of the system, controllers, some games, etc.  I do post just consoles there too, but they don't move as quickly, but I figured people here might be looking for a console only or a non-AV modded console in certain cases and can happily build to order, something specific.

So you want others to do the leg work to do an advanced search by seller on ebay just to see the items you want to sell and how much you are charging for them? Not off to a good start. First posts in the marketplace are frowned upon enough but adding a lack of interest in making your items visible and priced when potential buyers have asked isn't helping your cause at all either.

Sorry @Shawn.  It wasn't my intent to waste anyone's time, nor to try and redirect anyone specifically to listings elsewhere.  I was only trying to state that I run through a decent bit of hardware and if someone wanted something specific, then reconditioned or perhaps modded too, I'd be happy to talk about it.  For example, I had a user on another platform ask specifically for a 2600 "Vader" refreshed with new internal components and modded with a coax F port on the back, replacing the RCA cord, we went though the details and he got what he requested and was happy with it. 

I'll post some pictures of recent work I did, just as an example.

If this isn't the right place to talk about these types of things, I'll be happy to return to what I've been doing and this thread can be marked for deletion and I apologize and wish everyone well.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

1 hour ago, Cmherndon79 said:

Sorry I posted here on this topic at all.  I apologize, I wasn't trying to list individual items.  I have no problems selling these Atari consoles I work on.  I was only trying offer I can build something to order for someone who has an interest.  Wish everyone the best!

No need to apologize. Shawn's advice to include a link is a good idea.

I have a 7800 that someone else modified. It only has the red and white ports so I guess it's mono component? In any event, one of the ports has broken free. I'd be interested in finding out how much you would charge to fix it. Feel free to PM me.

46 minutes ago, cvga said:

No need to apologize. Shawn's advice to include a link is a good idea.

I have a 7800 that someone else modified. It only has the red and white ports so I guess it's mono component? In any event, one of the ports has broken free. I'd be interested in finding out how much you would charge to fix it. Feel free to PM me.

I'll do it for you, for shipping, if you can't get help.  Scheduling is my biggest issue, but I do that for free, for a friend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cmherndon79 said:

Sorry I posted here on this topic at all.  I apologize, I wasn't trying to list individual items.  I have no problems selling these Atari consoles I work on.  I was only trying offer I can build something to order for someone who has an interest.  Wish everyone the best!

The way it usually works is that eBay items go in Auction Central, the topic below this one, with a link. This topic is for direct transactions. Do you do S-video or component modded light sixers?

9 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I'll do it for you, for shipping, if you can't get help.  Scheduling is my biggest issue, but I do that for free, for a friend.

You have been an awesome friend for a long time. I've been PMing the "new guy" and we have a really good deal in place that isn't that much more than the cost of shipping. I'm happy to give him some work and will post about our successful deal after my 7800 is returned so it should be a win-win. He seems like a good guy.

• Like 1

Hi @Swami I can certainly do S-Video mods on light-sixers.  It's an easy mod, though I've never done it, only because my target audience has been eBay and it adds an additional roughly $15 to the cost that most of those users aren't willing to pay extra for (less if I bought components in bulk for S-Video as I do for composite mods).  I've thought about doing it on one of my own, but the VCS resolution is low enough, I didn't see much point of separation of the luma and chroma signals in S-Video. My understanding is that RGB component wasn't possible on the 2600, though I could look into it further.  If it is possible a lot of modern-ish TVs wouldn't accept the 160 x 192 resolution output unless possibly connected to something like a RetroTink x2.  I found an old Samsung early HDTV compatible (2002 ish I think) TV to run my Genesis at 240p because most TV's won't do that natively.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, Cmherndon79 said:

Welcome to Atariage.  I'm sure a number of people would like to know where to get a modded console... if not now, down the road.  If your work is good, you'll build a nice reputation in the user feedback forum.

And there's no need to apologize.  Thanks for posting! ? 

Edited by 8_is_enuff

On 1/3/2020 at 10:02 PM, AtariBrian said:

Hope this doesn't end up another swampfox thread.

I doubt it, he is sending me the 7800, without paying first.  And he soak tested it.  Maybe you can some day thank him for another internal POKEY upgrade coming to fruition. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Maybe you can some day thank him for another internal POKEY upgrade coming to fruition. ;)

At any time you could have used your pretty desoldering tool to remove and socket a CPU on any of your six 7800 mobo's but you are just too lazy to do so :P

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

At any time you could have used your pretty desoldering tool to remove and socket a CPU on any of your six 7800 mobo's but you are just too lazy to do so :P

If I had a NOS CPU, I probably would have, and I am too lazy.  An hour of my time, is worth more than the price of something like this. :P

Plus, I wanted all chips with sockets, no way I would try that, the 7800's are a bitch to begin with.  Took almost 2 years to make the Versa board for Bob, would have sucked, if it only worked on a modded system.  I have had zero reports, about any of my boards not working, across the wide spectrum of weird mobo's.  Every 7800 game from the store, runs on my boards.

I'd love more 7800's, this is only my 7th. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

If I had a NOS CPU, I probably would have, and I am too lazy.  An hour of my time, is worth more than the price of something like this. :P

Plus, I wanted all chips with sockets, no way I would try that, the 7800's are a bitch to begin with.  Took almost 2 years to make the Versa board for Bob, would have sucked, if it only worked on a modded system.  I have had zero reports, about any of my boards not working, across the wide spectrum of weird mobo's.  Every 7800 game from the store, runs on my boards.

I'd love more 7800's, this is only my 7th. :D

If there are any other particulars you're looking for let me know. I get way more VCSes in, but I try to pick up the 7800s whenever I can get them for a somewhat decent price.