IGNORED

Atari 800 video problem

jimerson

Hi, I got an older Atari 800 beige s/n 946-2193 a couple weeks ago. It came with the ROM and 16K module. Also Centipede, Star Raiders and Basic cartridges. The cartridges all seem to work and I can play the games but there is always "garbage" scrolling down behind the text characters. I believe this has a GTIA because "GRAPHICS 9" (and POKE 623,64) command shows a black screen. Also because I saw it when I re-seated all the chips :) I would appreciate any help troubleshooting this, I don't really know where to start.

To make the photo below, I used GRAPHICS 2:PRINT#6;"ABCDEFG..." to enlarge the text to get a much better look at the problem. I hope the video works.

Thanks, Jim

3264-2448-max.jpg

• Sad 1

Wow, crazy! Some parts of the characters are not affected: top of A, bottom of V and Y, middle of I and Z, and all of the left bracket. Only where there are pixels in the left side of the characters does the noise show up.

Also the downward scrolling is mostly on the left side of the screen. Elsewhere the noise looks more random. The left side is when ANTIC does refresh cycles, so there might be data timing issues. Timing is handled by the smaller chips on the CPU board and the ROM board, so check them if swapping ANTIC chips doesn't help.

It wouldn't hurt to reseat all the chips again and look for bent pins and pins with excess corrosion. I have a few early Ataris and they always need reseating. Their boards don't have gold edge contacts and they corrode more quickly. Try running a pencil eraser across the darker tin edge contacts until they start to shine brighter.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. When I reseated the chips I just pried them up a bit then pushed them back down. I will remove them and check for damage and corrosion. If that doesn’t work I will order an Antic and swap it (I don’t have any spare parts). Will report back in a few days.

That'd be Antic for sure.  There's some sort of screwed up behaviour in a counter or something.  GTIA has next to no "buffering" so wouldn't generate such behaviour especially between adjacent scanlines.

Can you try some other stuff - like maybe GR. 7 : C. 1 : PL. 0,0 : DR. 100,100

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Can you try some other stuff - like maybe GR. 7 : C. 1 : PL. 0,0 : DR. 100,100

Ack, not anymore! I decided to pull the chips from the cpu board and look at the legs and sockets. I noticed some brown crud on pin 8 of the 6502B, and that leg broke off when I pulled the chip. Looks like pin 8 is Vcc so it was probably going to fail soon anyway. The board is very clean and all solder very shiny, looks almost brand new. I should have the replacement ANTIC and 6502B before Friday.

have you ever had to attach a donor leg when the break is very close to the chip body?

i have a DRAM chip with a broken leg that has next to nothing exposed. does anyone know if can i 'dremel' the body to expose more contact?

On 1/5/2020 at 3:11 PM, xrbrevin said:

have you ever had to attach a donor leg when the break is very close to the chip body?

i have a DRAM chip with a broken leg that has next to nothing exposed. does anyone know if can i 'dremel' the body to expose more contact?

Take a machine-head precision socket, plug the defect chip in, fill the intact legs with solder, so that nothing can move even for a nano-meter ? - Then take a little piece hard wire, plug in into the unused hole where the broken leg is. let flow some solder into the hole of the socket. Place this "new leg" against to piece from the former leg of the chip and solder again. This way I salvaged some ANTIC, GTIA and other from disposal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jimerson said:

Thanks for all the excellent assistance, it works now. On the CPU I soldered a donor leg from a bad C=64 PLA. Replaced ANTIC chip and video is now good!

Nice to see a C64 being of some use ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, jimerson said:

Thanks for all the excellent assistance, it works now. On the CPU I soldered a donor leg from a bad C=64 PLA. Replaced ANTIC chip and video is now good!

Awesome. Great to hear!! That donor leg may sometimes interfere with the boot process. If it refuses to boot try typing load "D:*.*",8,1 into notepad.

• Haha 1