IGNORED

Ultra Disassembler by Adventure International

jcbstein

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, SlowPokey said:

Here are .ATR files of the two sides of the accompanying disk,

Nice, a missing title with your second post to AtariAge. :)

@www.atarimania.com also no autoboot on this image.

This seems correct because according to the manual on page 1-1 you should format a disk with DOS 2.0S and copy Ultra Disassembler to this disk.

This request rules out copy protection as well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SlowPokey said:

Here are .ATR files of the two sides of the accompanying disk, much thanks to Loharek for his marvelous SIO2SD which I'm just finally archiving my disk collection with; I had to dig this program out of a box of 8 bit treasures and glad to see a 37 yr old floppy still reads.

UltraDisassemA.atr 90.02 kB · 18 downloads UltraDisassemB.atr 90.02 kB · 17 downloads

Thanks for doing this. Both the manual and the disk image. If this looks like an original disk, could you make a scan of the physical disk?

Like the picture below.

disk3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow, some how I missed this thread all year!

The pictures of the physical disk above say "boot in drive 1 unless otherwise instructed" I'm guessing that's because it's just a generic Adventure International label for any Atari programs they published and, indeed, one has to write the program to a DOS 2 disk as the manual instructs? (which is why they have the quote I just made on the disk)

Thanks for all of this to all who posted images and sent stuff to Atarimania...now I just have to go download the manual from there. I do believe I will be using this a lot in the near future, since I'm teaching myself assembly, and the ability to examine most any program and change them will really help me in the learning process!

Does anyone know if the output code can be used with Mac/65? That's the Assembler I use; it's not one mentioned on the back cover picture above. Maybe Mac/65 came out after Ultra-Disassembler?

Edited by Gunstar

• 5 months later...
On 12/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, SlowPokey said:

Here are .ATR files of the two sides of the accompanying disk, much thanks to Loharek for his marvelous SIO2SD which I'm just finally archiving my disk collection with; I had to dig this program out of a box of 8 bit treasures and glad to see a 37 yr old floppy still reads.

UltraDisassemA.atr 90.02 kB · 55 downloads UltraDisassemB.atr 90.02 kB · 52 downloads

While cleaning up my hard drive I stumbled over this dump and the one found by @GeoHolub in Don Maslin's Disk Image Archive. Out of curiosity I compared them and found out three things:

1. SlowPokey's dump contains a customization file (which is only interesting for hardcore archivists). ;)
  2. The dumps are from different releases and differ by exactly one byte.
  3. Side B of the disk contains the (most probably complete) source code of the disassembler.

SlowPokey's version contains an off-by-one bug in a routine to clear memory which has been fixed in the other dump.

; correct version from v2

46B9: A9 00             LDA #$00
46BB: A2 59             LDX #$59        ; LDX #$5A in v1
46BD: 9D 41 52          STA $5241,X     ; label SECMAP below
46C0: CA                DEX
46C1: 10 FA             BPL $46BD
46C3: 60                RTS

; source code on side B

; Miscellaneous tables & buffers
;
KBBUF   DS 32
SECMAP  DS 90       ; 90 = $5A
NUMBUF  DS 6        ; $5241+$5A is the first byte of NUMBUF

Meanwhile a second dump of the fixed version was found which contains the B side as well. For convenience both sides of that disk.

When downloading, please remember that the disk does not boot. Instead you need to copy the binary to a DOS formatted disk as stated on page 1-1 of the user manual.

Ultra Disassembler_v2 sideA.atr  Ultra Disassembler_v2 sideB.atr

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 3