IGNORED

The end of the game.com

Yes, you mentioned your website already.

The system software has an internal timer that shuts off the game.com after 3 minutes of inactivity. There's no way to override it. So regardless of which game you are playing, if you don't touch anything for 3 minutes then the system powers off completely. If you are sitting in the game.com boot firmware, there's an annoying little ditty that starts to play as you approach the time limit. If, however, you're playing a game, there's ZERO indication whatsoever.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I also have a game.com site. I need to work on it some more, though. I think it was during playing Scrabble that I discovered if you don't press any button after a short while, it shuts down. Sometimes I need to think when I play that, so it was an unwelcome surprise.

Good going so far

I,d forgotten about that stupid energy saver power thing. Sometimes you need to think on puzzles, so that was certainly a surprise bitd, and unwelcome. Of course the system has many larger problems that will likely keep some issues like this hidden from most people.

Unless the auto-off "feature" was controlled solely by the firmware and couldn't be touched by the game software -- and we simply don't know the answer to that yet -- there's really no excuse to why the developers didn't either disable it, or allow it to be toggled off. Hell, even an internal time counter with a "press a button soon or I'll turn off!!" message would have helped. Something! ANYTHING!!

And its not like the game developers didn't know the system inside and out. They were all either internal Tiger employees, or outside contractors who were working directly with Tiger employees AND helping to write the official SDK!

*takes a deep, calming breath*

Or, to distill my point to its essence, and save y'all some frustrating reading:

They just didn't care.

Edited by DeathAdderSF
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

The 1999 Tiger Electronics toy fair catalog recently landed on my doorstep with a big ol' thud, which would have been fine – if I didn't have to scan it. Sadly, duty calls. So I brought it inside, snipped its binding rings, carefully removed all of its game.com related pages, aaaaand... D'OH!! The pages were too wide to fit any of my scanners! Grrrr! Thanks, Tiger: you have screwed me again.

But, whatever. After a bit of disgruntled scanner shopping, I found myself in possession of a brand new Plustek OpticSlim 1180 jumbo flatbed scanner (very expen$ive): perfect for the task of properly archiving the aforementioned catalog pages.

And... HEY!! There's some interesting stuff here, y'all: namely info & pics for a slew of unreleased games. So have a look!

The end of the game.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, atari2600land said:

It takes a reaaaaaally long time to load.

Assuming you're referring to the 1999 toy fair catalog: It's a very high quality scan, weighing in at nearly 300 MB. So yes, depending on your internet connection speed it may take a while to load. Patience is a virtue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wowee. That’s a lot of stuff I never knew was in the works. MGS looks like bullshots, but SotN looks legit. Nascar seems like it would be unplayable. I wonder if everyone who was working on some of these that clearly were a ways into development just threw away their computers or something. It is a shame no protos have ever leaked.

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

SotN looks legit.

Sure does. BTW: Handheld Games actually jumped onto Usenet back in '98 to briefly talk up Holyfield Boxing. It, NBA Live '99, and Small Soldiers also had official screenshots shared via their website. I've archived all of that on this page, along with the verified list of vaporware that Tiger Electronics had officially announced as being in development at one time or another.

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I wonder if everyone who was working on some of these that clearly were a ways into development just threw away their computers or something.

Out of shame for having worked on game.com software, you mean? I could see that.

But somehow I think it was simply that Hasbro execs, after the acquisition of Tiger Electronics, simply pulled the plug on the game.com because it sucks. And because it wasn't making any money. Because it sucks.

Edited by DeathAdderSF
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I wonder what the “RAM BLAST expansion” was.

My guess would be it was just fancy marketing gobbledegook for "internal SRAM battery." Considering the pocket pro was out already, I seriously doubt Tiger would greenlight a game it couldn't use.

Then again this is the same company who rushed Jeopardy! to the market so fast, they didn't fix (or even notice?) that it won't play if there's a second cart in the system.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, chicgamer said:

Just curious—what do you use to store your Game.com carts?

Wastebin. (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

Actually about a week ago I accidentally stumbled upon someone selling 3D-printed "cart cozies" for game.com carts. So there's definitely a solution out there, but you'll have to do some digging as I didn't save the link.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeathAdderSF said:

Wastebin. (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

Actually about a week ago I accidentally stumbled upon someone selling 3D-printed "cart cozies" for game.com carts. So there's definitely a solution out there, but you'll have to do some digging as I didn't save the link.

Wow, now that is a delayed response! :)

Thanks for the info, though. I'll see what I can find.

• Like 1

High time I added some new interviews, isn't it? After all, I had two former Tiger employees on the horn back in June of 2020 [!]. Why not finally share our convos with the world?

First up is Anthony Grimaud, who was the Regional European Sales Director at Tiger Electronics from 1995 - 2002. Then we have Marc Rosenberg, the Senior Vice President of Marketing at Tiger Electronics from 1987 - 1998, and Executive Vice President of Marketing from 1998 - 2003. Give 'em some applause!

These gentlemen were kind enough to share their unique, firsthand insight into the ups and downs of the game.com, and of Tiger in general. The resulting interviews – which I've just finished properly transcribing and editing – are the most in-depth and extensive yet, to appear on this website!

Anthony Grimaud interview

Marc Rosenberg interview

Edited by DeathAdderSF
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably be packing a suitcase for my imminent trip to Japan – especially since I've been unable to visit for the past three years [!] – but what the hell: Let's make the game.com a priority.

I'd be a Halloweenie if I missed the “opportunity” to announce the discovery of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night prototype (or as I like to call it, “Simfauxny of the Naught”) in time for the upcoming holiday. So... BOO! I'm announcing it.

Go to the unreleased games page, where you'll find a link to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Click that link, et voilà: Drac is back. I've also added the game's icon to the cartridge icons page.

BTW: In case you're curious about the origins of this prototype, I invite you to read some of this website's recent updates: a few of which snuck in just now! *wink*

Also, suffer through this video if you like...

https://youtu.be/G9p2ceWSWYI

castlevania-gc-attack.png

castlevania-gc-different.png

castlevania-gc-gameover.png

Edited by DeathAdderSF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I published one too. I don't know if it's decent, but it's in French. 😅

🙄 Où est le lien ?

Edit: Found it.

Thanks, I appreciate your sharing the announcement and kindly linking to my website. Also the use of the "This castle is different..." screenshot at the top is perfect. That's exactly why I picked that particular screenshot as one of the main ones to share.

Edited by DeathAdderSF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1