IGNORED

doubledown's 5200 Edition - VVG Paddle Controller

doubledown

11 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Due to it's size there would be no way to add a joystick to this Paddle Controller, but I am working on 1 or more joystick type controllers, 1 digital for sure, and 1 possibly "truly" analog.  

Hmmm, yeah, I wasn't sure if they made high quality analog joysticks that were smaller like some of the old IBM gameport ones:

5 hours ago, Swami said:

If you decide to make these to order, I would definitely be interested. Also, I was thinking, if you could add a decent joystick you'd have a great original controller replacement that would really be a game changer. It's tricky, though, several past attempts at this usually result in analog sticks that work well with digital games but move too fast with the analog ones, which is ironic. It makes me wonder why the analog games use such a small portion of the analog range.

But how can you do both paddle and joystick in the same unit.

18 hours ago, Swami said:

magic, of course...

joystick instead of paddle

Personally I don't think that I would be interested in making a small hand-held 5200 joystick.  I grew up with a 2600 and it's handheld paddles, so when looking at making this 5200 paddle, I decided to make it a hand-held unit as well.  For joysticks I sincerely prefer laptop/tabletop style arcade sticks, and that's what I'm looking into right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

Personally I don't think that I would be interested in making a small hand-held 5200 joystick.  I grew up with a 2600 and it's handheld paddles, so when looking at making this 5200 paddle, I decided to make it a hand-held unit as well.  For joysticks I sincerely prefer laptop/tabletop style arcade sticks, and that's what I'm looking into right now.  

Not making a separate joystick.  Just modifying the paddle.  Adding a stick and a paddle knob.  Stick on bottom.  Paddle on top.

Thanks...it works pretty well.  Originally I had my 5200 plugged into an old LCD monitor for the initial testing and while the Paddle Controller completely worked as expected, I thought wow I really suck at Kaboom! and Super Breakout.  So I had AtariBrian take it and try it on his console and he said it was a lot better which lead us to taking into consideration the lag of the LCD monitor.  So when he brought it back over I pulled out and set up a CRT and, it was perfectly fine.  Just glad to know that in 35 or so years, I haven't lost my paddle game skills.  It does play Pole Position pretty good too.  Obviously as it was built, it's not perfectly ergonomic for shifting, but as you don't shift too often in that game it's definitely a step up from the CX-52s.

19 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Also found another magic 909 on eBay but not sire if tis worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Magic-909-Joystick-for-IBM-with-Box-and-Manual/223071942980?hash=item33f01fb944:g:eWgAAOSwDZ1a9mhy

Does it feel solid and move freely.

I don’t have one, I just copied a picture off reddit as an example of a small analog joystick.