IGNORED

Problem Building Intellivisionaries's Flashback Cable

gar0u

Following the instructions on Paul's YouTube video at: 

I'm sure I've done something wrong, but I wrote down the pin mapping as Male -> Female:

M     F

====

1 -> 2

2 -> 9

3 -> 1

4 -> 4

5 -> 6

6 -> 7

7 -> 8

8 -> 3

9 -> 5

I have checked these pins for continuity on the finished cable and it checks out.  So either the above mapping is incorrect, or my orientation of the ports is incorrect.  This is how I understand the pinouts to work on the finished cable:

Male:

\ 1 2 3 4 5 /

\ 6 7 8 9 /

''''''''''''''

Female:

\ 5 4 3 2 1 /

\ 9 8 7 6 /

''''''''''''''

Can anyone that's built one (esp. Paul) spot anything I screwed up?

Testing with Q-Bert on an Intellivision II.  It works fine with the original controller, because I just beat Defender of the Crown with it over Christmas vacation!

Thanks,

Will

Here's the cheat-sheet for making these cables that I put together some time ago:

DB9 diagrams

MALE PORT          FEMALE PLUG

_________         _________

( 1 2 3 4 5 )       ( 5 4 3 2 1 )

\ 6 7 8 9 /         \ 9 8 7 6 /

\_____/            \_____/

Mapping for converter for plugging an Intellivision flashback controller into an Intellivision 

---------------------

Socket (M) end      ->      Plug (F) end

1                                    4

2                                    6

3                                    5

4                                    2

5                                    9

6                                    8

7                                    7

8                                    3

9                                    1

Your mapping doesn't look like a simple reversal, something else went wrong there.  This is the mapping layout I use when I make the adapter cables.  And yes, for anyone reading here who has requested a set from me, I am behind -- I got seriously sick in December and am still recovering.  I'll be making adapters soon for the handful of orders that have been sent my way...

Encouraging to see others in the community attempting to make these on their own, however!  It's an "open source" kind of hardware thingy...

[EDIT LATER]

I just took another look at Paul's video and his naming of pin-to-pin is very different than the diagram I posted above.  mr_me's posting of three pin mappings agrees with my list, and I know I've used this diagram and list to make these cables before.

I think I see the mistake Paul was making in the video.  He was treating both ends of the cable as if they were numbered identically -- using the Socket (M) side numbers for the pins on both sides.  E.g. his first connection he describes as pin 1->2.  The actual connection should be M pin 1 to F pin 4.  He's basically saying "row 1, 1st column on the socket side to row 1, 2nd column on the plug side as you look at them end-on".

Edited by Rick Reynolds
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone.  Rick, sorry to hear of your health troubles last month.  I hope you're on the mend.

I wanted to help out the Intellivisionaries podcasters and fans by working on the backlog of Flashback cables--but I've got to get mine to work first!

Edited by gar0u
  • Like 1

Happy to report that I was able to successfully build a Flashback cable using Rick's pin out.

Played a game of Burger Time and was instantly transported back to my childhood in the '80s--minus the 65" OLED TV.  ;)

Will post a link to this thread in Paul's YouTube video comments.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well if anyone does end up making these I’d like at least 1 up to 4 so I can use my sears intv with fb controllers.I cannot do it myself I’m 100% disabled army lost left eye/left foot/2left fingers and other injuries so if anyone does them I’d love to get them?I am not savvy on tech I do not even understand how to message people here.But I can give you my email if you message me.Thank you and please not trying to get sympathy from anyone I’m just late to the retro gaming scene;)

Sent you a message a few days ago.  I'd be happy to make some cables for you.

Reply here if you can't read it and we can figure out an easier way to communicate.

Just need to confirm your console is Sears INTV and how long you want each cable.  Long cables are nice!

Edited by gar0u

On 1/5/2020 at 5:22 AM, Rick Reynolds said:

think I see the mistake Paul was making in the video.  He was treating both ends of the cable as if they were numbered identically -- using the Socket (M) side numbers for the pins on both sides. 

I made this same mistake while converting Sega Genesis controllers into controllers for Tomy Tutor. 

• 5 months later...

My info is ‘wrong’ but somehow my cables work... ;-)

I have seen pin numbering in DB9 connectors shown as left to right, and right to left. My system is based on looking at both the male and female ends facing me, side by side. It just works for my way of thinking about it I guess - even if the numbers are reversed.

Here’s my little ‘cheat sheet’ reference card I use when making the cables.

1379c490b379089dc391826411dc17e2.jpg

•Sent from my Intellivision keypad phone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nurmix said:

My info is ‘wrong’ but somehow my cables work... ;-)

I have seen pin numbering in DB9 connectors shown as left to right, and right to left. My system is based on looking at both the male and female ends facing me, side by side. It just works for my way of thinking about it I guess - even if the numbers are reversed.

Here’s my little ‘cheat sheet’ reference card I use when making the cables.

1379c490b379089dc391826411dc17e2.jpg

•Sent from my Intellivision keypad phone

that is correct:

Male:

761514299_DB9Malepinnumbering.gif.6f3900a91b62b3025664d6e741b93d6a.gif

Female:                                            

1609126156_DB9Femalepinnumbering.gif.646230bf5712b11ad372884dbecb317b.gif

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 7:22 AM, Rick Reynolds said:

Here's the cheat-sheet for making these cables that I put together some time ago:

DB9 diagrams

MALE PORT          FEMALE PLUG

_________         _________

( 1 2 3 4 5 )       ( 5 4 3 2 1 )

\ 6 7 8 9 /         \ 9 8 7 6 /

\_____/            \_____/

Mapping for converter for plugging an Intellivision flashback controller into an Intellivision 

---------------------

Socket (M) end      ->      Plug (F) end

1                                    4

2                                    6

3                                    5

4                                    2

5                                    9

6                                    8

7                                    7

8                                    3

9                                    1

Your mapping doesn't look like a simple reversal, something else went wrong there.  This is the mapping layout I use when I make the adapter cables.  And yes, for anyone reading here who has requested a set from me, I am behind -- I got seriously sick in December and am still recovering.  I'll be making adapters soon for the handful of orders that have been sent my way...

Encouraging to see others in the community attempting to make these on their own, however!  It's an "open source" kind of hardware thingy...

[EDIT LATER]

I just took another look at Paul's video and his naming of pin-to-pin is very different than the diagram I posted above.  mr_me's posting of three pin mappings agrees with my list, and I know I've used this diagram and list to make these cables before.

I think I see the mistake Paul was making in the video.  He was treating both ends of the cable as if they were numbered identically -- using the Socket (M) side numbers for the pins on both sides.  E.g. his first connection he describes as pin 1->2.  The actual connection should be M pin 1 to F pin 4.  He's basically saying "row 1, 1st column on the socket side to row 1, 2nd column on the plug side as you look at them end-on".

Would the opposite adapter just go in the opposite direction, and one would just swap male and female sides so that a standard "labor for hire" can easily build one?

1 hour ago, tripletopper said:

Would the opposite adapter just go in the opposite direction, and one would just swap male and female sides so that a standard "labor for hire" can easily build one?

I thought I changed my answer in the other thread, that I do think a cable adapter in reverse would work.

Do you want to plug a sears or intellivision ii controller in to a flashback?

27 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I thought I changed my answer in the other thread, that I do think a cable adapter in reverse would work.

Do you want to plug a sears or intellivision ii controller in to a flashback?

Well I have a pair of Nurmix FB controller to INTV 1 cables.

If I develop a way to make my Sinister Sticks work, I must find the more popular default, whether INTV2 or INTVFB.  if INTV2 is more popular, then it'd be smarter to design it with INTV2 in mind, and I need an INTV2 controller to INTVFB machine adapter for my case, right?

It doesn't matter what is popular and what is not popular. 

It depends on what you have and what you want to do. 

An IntvFB is limited to the 60 games that are on that unit and cannot be expanded to play other games. 

An Inty2 has a cartridge port, so it is much more versatile in what it can play. 

His intellivision now has flashback connectors so his controllers need flashback pinout to work.

You could rearrange the pins on that 9-pin in line connector so its de9 matches intellivision ii pinout; if that's what you prefer.  Or just make your controller with flashback pinout.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

His intellivision now has flashback connectors so his controllers need flashback pinout to work.

Well that's the answer right there, so why was there even a question... 

As I stated:

9 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

It depends on what you have... 

Exactly, make it work for what you have...

If what you have changes in the future, then change your pinout at that time. 

Sounds simple. 

No need to make life more complicated than it needs to be 

• 4 weeks later...

i have a question about intellivision flashback controllers. i followed the instructions in this thread to build one of these adapters that converts a flashback controller pinout to the pinout of an original intellivision 2 controller. to test it i'm using a PC with a bliss box adapter which is a universal controller adapter that lets you connect many different types of console controllers to a pc. i don't actually have an Intellivision to test with.

i believe i have built the adapter correctly because the wheel and all the buttons are recognized correctly. however, several of the number pad buttons also falsely trigger directional inputs. i fought with this for a while thinking it could be caused by the adapter i created or perhaps the software in the bliss box before finally going back to test the controllers with the flashback console and sure enough, i get the same false inputs there too. so the problem must lie in the controllers themselves.

my question is, is this a common issue with these flashback controllers to falsely register directional inputs when pressing number pad buttons? for instance, pressing numbers 1,2, or 3 might also trigger a down direction. pressing clear or 0 might trigger a left direction. it seems to be dependent on how much pressure i use, and the direction that's triggered is consistent with how the traces are laid out on the flex circuit.

It can happen with original mattel controllers as well.  The worst is when a disc and side button triggers a keypad button and you accidently hyperspace or shoot an arrow.  This happens because each button/switch closes two circuits but sometimes they don't close at exactly the same time.  Mattel did redesign the flexcircuit to mitigate the problem.

Yes, this is what I did with my original mattel controllers.  Flashback controllers are similar but I can't tell if it's different enough to affect what I'm about to suggest.  Each keypad button brings together three lines; two data pins and ground.  On the upper sheet is one data pin, on the lower sheet is one data pin and ground.  Ideally, when you press a button, you want the upper sheet to touch the data line on the lower sheet first and the ground line second.  What I did is put a very small dab of conductive paint on the lower data line.  This ensures that the ground line gets touched last,

• 10 months later...