gar0u

Problem Building Intellivisionaries's Flashback Cable

Following the instructions on Paul's YouTube video at: 

I'm sure I've done something wrong, but I wrote down the pin mapping as Male -> Female:

M     F

====

1 -> 2

2 -> 9

3 -> 1

4 -> 4

5 -> 6

6 -> 7

7 -> 8

8 -> 3

9 -> 5

I have checked these pins for continuity on the finished cable and it checks out.  So either the above mapping is incorrect, or my orientation of the ports is incorrect.  This is how I understand the pinouts to work on the finished cable:

Male:

\ 1 2 3 4 5 /

\ 6 7 8 9 /

''''''''''''''

Female:

\ 5 4 3 2 1 /

\ 9 8 7 6 /

''''''''''''''

Can anyone that's built one (esp. Paul) spot anything I screwed up?

Testing with Q-Bert on an Intellivision II.  It works fine with the original controller, because I just beat Defender of the Crown with it over Christmas vacation!

Thanks,

Will

Posted (edited)

I think the mapping is mirrored on the console side. E.g. 1->4, 2->6, 3->5 (ground), etc.  Otherwise the mapping looks to be correct.

Edited by mr_me

Posted (edited)

Here's the cheat-sheet for making these cables that I put together some time ago:

DB9 diagrams

MALE PORT          FEMALE PLUG

_________         _________

( 1 2 3 4 5 )       ( 5 4 3 2 1 )

\ 6 7 8 9 /         \ 9 8 7 6 /

\_____/            \_____/

Mapping for converter for plugging an Intellivision flashback controller into an Intellivision 

---------------------

Socket (M) end      ->      Plug (F) end

1                                    4

2                                    6

3                                    5

4                                    2

5                                    9

6                                    8

7                                    7

8                                    3

9                                    1

Your mapping doesn't look like a simple reversal, something else went wrong there.  This is the mapping layout I use when I make the adapter cables.  And yes, for anyone reading here who has requested a set from me, I am behind -- I got seriously sick in December and am still recovering.  I'll be making adapters soon for the handful of orders that have been sent my way...

Encouraging to see others in the community attempting to make these on their own, however!  It's an "open source" kind of hardware thingy...

[EDIT LATER]

I just took another look at Paul's video and his naming of pin-to-pin is very different than the diagram I posted above.  mr_me's posting of three pin mappings agrees with my list, and I know I've used this diagram and list to make these cables before.

I think I see the mistake Paul was making in the video.  He was treating both ends of the cable as if they were numbered identically -- using the Socket (M) side numbers for the pins on both sides.  E.g. his first connection he describes as pin 1->2.  The actual connection should be M pin 1 to F pin 4.  He's basically saying "row 1, 1st column on the socket side to row 1, 2nd column on the plug side as you look at them end-on".

Edited by Rick Reynolds
  • Like 2

He's probably reading the female connector pins left to right.  Notice when he does 7->8 the wire colour is the same.

Just now, mr_me said:

He's probably reading the female connector pins left to right.  Notice when he does 7->8 the wire colour is the same.

We cross-posted replies...  Yep, I think that's exactly what happened.

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone.  Rick, sorry to hear of your health troubles last month.  I hope you're on the mend.

I wanted to help out the Intellivisionaries podcasters and fans by working on the backlog of Flashback cables--but I've got to get mine to work first!

Edited by gar0u
  • Like 1

Happy to report that I was able to successfully build a Flashback cable using Rick's pin out.

Played a game of Burger Time and was instantly transported back to my childhood in the '80s--minus the 65" OLED TV.  ;)

Will post a link to this thread in Paul's YouTube video comments.

• Like 1

Well if anyone does end up making these I’d like at least 1 up to 4 so I can use my sears intv with fb controllers.I cannot do it myself I’m 100% disabled army lost left eye/left foot/2left fingers and other injuries so if anyone does them I’d love to get them?I am not savvy on tech I do not even understand how to message people here.But I can give you my email if you message me.Thank you and please not trying to get sympathy from anyone I’m just late to the retro gaming scene;)

Sent you a message a few days ago.  I'd be happy to make some cables for you.

Reply here if you can't read it and we can figure out an easier way to communicate.

Just need to confirm your console is Sears INTV and how long you want each cable.  Long cables are nice!

Edited by gar0u

On 1/5/2020 at 5:22 AM, Rick Reynolds said:

think I see the mistake Paul was making in the video.  He was treating both ends of the cable as if they were numbered identically -- using the Socket (M) side numbers for the pins on both sides. 

I made this same mistake while converting Sega Genesis controllers into controllers for Tomy Tutor.