IGNORED

7800 Ballblazer prototype?

CincYnoTi

35 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Ok if that's the case and I can get the other side out intact then I only need to fix 6 pins.  Maybe I can keep this one as a backup or something? 

As long as you are only missing the tips like shown in your picture you should be fine to use it as is. The whippers will make proper contact I'm near sure of it.

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

As long as you are only missing the tips like shown in your picture you should be fine to use it as is. The whippers will make proper contact I'm near sure of it.

Not sure about trying to insert them into a socket, which is what Matt needs.

Ugh, what a mess. But the top half of the legs are still there, so it can be fixed. The best pin donors are old socketed PAL chips, since you can't reprogram them.

Desoldering a chip is not a simple skill. After at least 30 years of it, I'm still coming up with new tricks. Basically it's about melting ALL the solder to the other side, and sucking it all out at once. The most important thing is making sure the pin is free (with those red squeeze bulb types I gently wiggle the pin around until it can move) and adding fresh solder if it doesn't suck out properly. Ground pins are the worst because they absorb so much heat and tend to have more solder on the other side. The other trick that I recently learned is to put some extra flux on, to help it melt better. (that's probably why the fresh solder helped)

And it'll be funny to see a half-broken Pokey chip being used just for the audio part.

22 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Not sure about trying to insert them into a socket, which is what Matt needs.

Ya, they will be fine. It makes a solid connection. Especially on a brand new socket. It's not ideal but I don't see any issues in doing so seeing the situation he's in.

Edited by Shawn