IGNORED

Fun with tiles: another weekend experiment

cmadruga

Quick test on sprite editor...

Looks like 3 sprites for the protagonist could do it. 2 double Y, 1 simple.

Could make him draw the weapon only when needed, and try to fit it on the black sprite.

firestart.gif.a3969ba9e987dc80dc0b5a27caec3d94.gif

Also need 1 sprite for the laser beam coming from his weapon. That's 4 already.

Need to see how many sprites are needed for decent looking enemies.

I assume it would be a matter of 1 or 2 double Y sprites per enemy.

- If I use 2 sprites, enemies will look nicer. But then with 2 enemies on screen I use up all sprites.

- If I use 1, I can have 3 enemies on screen. That would leave 1 sprite available for enhancing backgrounds.

Then I could make the corpse below get a little closer to the C64 version.

Decisions, decisions...

image.thumb.png.f4340425ea836f51c268652b68694ecf.png

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

A request - in the C64 version, they use a "running" animation when he is moving (on-screen) at the pace of walking. Reminds me of Karateka (same problem).

Would be great if either he could be moving faster using that animation, or use a "walking" animation if moving at that speed/rate.

20 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

A request - in the C64 version, they use a "running" animation when he is moving (on-screen) at the pace of walking. Reminds me of Karateka (same problem).

Would be great if either he could be moving faster using that animation, or use a "walking" animation if moving at that speed/rate.

Maybe the guy had too much coffee or something?

What you suggest would be a nice upgrade!

5 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Yep, that's the one. Multi-load was terrible.

Did you finish the game?

..not really, I may give it another try now that it's in a easyflash format (No disk swapping, zero loading times)

Regarding the port, it would be really cool if we turned this into a full on Aliens game !

Sprite-wise with a little effort we could have Ripley running around blasting Giger's aliens.

Of course this means re-scripting the text parts and cut scenes too..

Edited by TIX

1 hour ago, TIX said:

..not really, I may give it another try now that it's in a easyflash format (No disk swapping, zero loading times)

Regarding the port, it would be really cool if we turned this into a full on Aliens game !

Sprite-wise with a little effort we could have Ripley running around blasting Giger's aliens.

Of course this means re-scripting the text parts and cut scenes too..

Only the scenes with aliens, the others are cool sequences of dead bodies torn apart and humans betraying the player 

• Like 1

Even genetic hybridization between Aliens and humans would fit in the plot of Alien movies.

It could be named Project Prometheus and the ship Nostromo III

The hybridization process could be aimed to militarily purposes, but the player could discover it by himself, having been told that the mission is about rescuing the result of a scientific project for production of humanoid workers in mines of Titan

10 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Could make him draw the weapon only when needed, and try to fit it on the black sprite.

firestart.gif.a3969ba9e987dc80dc0b5a27caec3d94.gif

Also need 1 sprite for the laser beam coming from his weapon. That's 4 already.

Need to see how many sprites are needed for decent looking enemies.

I assume it would be a matter of 1 or 2 double Y sprites per enemy.

- If I use 2 sprites, enemies will look nicer. But then with 2 enemies on screen I use up all sprites.

- If I use 1, I can have 3 enemies on screen. That would leave 1 sprite available for enhancing backgrounds.

Then I could make the corpse below get a little closer to the C64 version.

Decisions, decisions...

image.thumb.png.f4340425ea836f51c268652b68694ecf.png

What if you do not plot the bullet from the gun but you just show its effect on the animation of the enemy you have hit? You could make the monster have an hesitation rising his arms or slow his walk for few frames  

Edited by artrag

I don't know guys... I'm a HUGE Aliens fan as well, but it's just hard to make a really good Aliens game.

Plus expectations/hype tend to be an issue when doing anything in that space. 

Firestart is more of an underdog, a cult game that I don't think received proper mainstream recognition.

Of course it was already too ambitious for the C64... developers have said that themselves.

Which makes the job of developing something similar on the Inty an extraordinary technical (and creative) challenge... 

Still, I'm motivated to pay tribute to the original game, and consequently to potentially make the first true survival horror game on the platform.

To be honest I don't think I can pull it off, but then again I thought the same for Gooninuff. So who knows?

Learning makes the effort worth pursuing.

Plus @skywaffle knows I'm interested in getting better at handling cinematics/cut scenes for other potentially outrageous projects in the future.

Edited by cmadruga

1 hour ago, artrag said:

What if you do not plot the bullet from the gun but you just show its effect on the animation of the enemy you have hit? You could make the monster have an hesitation rising his arms or slow his walk for few frames  

That would be an idea! At least it could save a sprite!

5 hours ago, cmadruga said:

That would be an idea! At least it could save a sprite!

That is a great idea -- you could animate a flash on the character side, and animate a hit on the enemy side, and not need to have a "bullet" at all. I'd say you could help stretch that further with sounds at both ends as well -- a "shot" shot and a "hit" sound.

Looks like 2 double Y sprites per enemy would be a requirement. 

firestart_monster3.gif.279d89c9cc0bb16b52991dd5287566a2.gif

If I don't use a sprite for the player's laser shot, then I suppose I could have 2 enemies on screen.

Or maybe even 3 if I could multiplex the black outline on those enemies.

So all in all, it looks like I would need to reserve 11 spots on GRAM:

- 5 for player sprites ( 2 double, 1 simple)

- 4 for enemy sprites (2 double)

- 2 for a background enhancement sprite (assuming 1 double) 

Feels like 53 spots on GRAM for background would be tight, but probably feasible.

I did not violate that limit when I put the 3 screens I showed here previously.

Looking good from a feasibility standpoint so far.

Question is: would it fit 42K?

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1

Is the screen drawn in Color Stack mode? Otherwise GROM is out of the question. Going by the actual shapes and not hearsay, I'd say perhaps 4-6 GROM shapes would fit in the screen. It could be enough to fit the other custom graphics.

Regarding if 42K decles is enough, only implementation could tell. I believe the premium publishers have bank switching schemes to allow for even larger games if that strictly would be required, not sure if e.g. LTO Flash! supports larger ROMs for development purposes. It is true though that the cracked version of Project Firestart on the C64 uses 3 floppy disks (348 kilobytes = 174 kilodecles) and I'd suppose the original does the same. Perhaps you could make it a light version if you notice you quickly run out of space.

LTO supports plenty of room with its paging system.

I have used it in the Deep Zone cartridge version and JZ has been so kind to customize prologue and epilogue of intybasic to support page swap from intybasic.

Carlos, let me know if you want to see my intybasic setup for using rom pages in LTO.

The board can fit games up to 120K words (240K bytes).

Moreover it supports some extended ASM instructions that can be very helpful in game coding.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qtzYEc9ftnbQsYJRaT2V_DcctKpT6xEn/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to stick with FGBG, so no GROM cards for me.

Maybe I should mock up a few more screens on the tile editor to get a better feeling for GRAM space requirements.

Either way, 120K would be a much more reasonable limit to work with. Feels feasible.

Artrag, thanks for the offer! If this project really goes forward I will take you up on that.

Either way, the game has a lot of fluff that I could leave for last if space would allow for it.

For instance, this room activates a hologram that is just for eye candy.

Project Firestart: Vive el terror en tu Commodore #Ready and Play ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Firestart

About the plot I see that the idea of genetic experiments for militarily purposes is already there.

There is also a white large creature that acts as end boss that has to be killed in a special way using the weakness documented in the logs.

The plot on wikipedia is very vague about this point...

I should find the final monster in the walkthrough and see how it looks like and if visually presents troubles.

Edited by artrag
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, artrag said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Firestart

About the plot I see that the idea of genetic experiments for militarily purposes is already there.

There is also a white large creature that acts as end boss that has to be killed in a special way using the weakness documented in the logs.

The plot on wikipedia is very vague about this point...

I should find the final monster in the walkthrough and see how it looks like and if visually presents troubles.

The final monster is a little underwhelming, and maybe something that could be improved.

He's like an albino version of the regular monsters.

He moves around quite fast and is immune to weapons. So you have to use environmental things to contain or kill him.

Edited by cmadruga

11 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Trying my hand at a more complicated screen to see how much gram would be needed.

So far using 33 out of the 53 gram addresses I'm budgeting for background graphics... this does not look good.

Open to (possibly extreme) bank switching?

9 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Open to (possibly extreme) bank switching?

What do you call *extreme* bank switching? Sounds exciting! ?

But the challenge here is really that with bank switching or not, I’m still limited to 64 gram addresses per each individual screen... Bank switching would just allow me to have MORE screens built.

7 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

What do you call *extreme* bank switching? Sounds exciting! ?

But the challenge here is really that with bank switching or not, I’m still limited to 64 gram addresses per each individual screen... Bank switching would just allow me to have MORE screens built.

Yeah, if you think you can't do what you want in 48 (or 64) grams, then I agree, more memory wouldn't help.

(Too bad there aren't per-line interrupts available!)

But if the 2 sample screens above were 33, then it sure looks like it is reach. Even if the background had to be solid.

Then just plan on using 48 (or 64) per screen, and then memory becomes the limit, and at least there is a way to compensate for that!