IGNORED

Fun with tiles: another weekend experiment

cmadruga

I started the MinGW msys environment to get access to some better comparison tools.

cmp counts to 3723 binary differences between the first and the last ROM you posted, despite they only differ in size by 1 byte. If it originally was built from the same bin + cfg, something really funky must have happened with bin2rom or uploading/downloading the ROM from AtariAge. I would assume the program crashes entirely if it was badly corrupted.

But regardless, the last ROM is fine for me and probably everyone else.

Edited by carlsson

I tweaked the code to work with empty account names.

Also caught a bug that was preventing one of Wedlund Joakim's accounts to be validated.

Now all of Carlsson's provided accounts pass the verification test.

Does this feature make this port of GB the first cross platform game ever made for the Intellivision? ? 

One can play Ghostbusters on the C64, get an account number from there, then enter it on the Intellivision and continue playing.

Then maybe take the Intellivision account number, bring it to the MSX and continue from there.

Kind of neat to think about it. 

Here is the updated account verifier rom v0.2.

prog.rom

image.thumb.png.3a42262c3ca104ce4a506035422a18f7.png

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I tweaked the code to work with empty account names.

Also caught a bug that was preventing one of Wedlund Joakim's accounts to be validated.

Now all of Carlsson's provided accounts pass the verification test.

Does this feature make this port of GB the first cross platform game ever made for the Intellivision? ? 

One can play Ghostbusters on the C64, get an account number from there, then enter it on the Intellivision and continue playing.

Then maybe take the Intellivision account number, bring it to the MSX and continue from there.

Kind of neat to think about it. 

Here is the updated account verifier rom v0.2.

prog.rom 8.57 kB · 1 download

image.thumb.png.3a42262c3ca104ce4a506035422a18f7.png

Today, Ghostbusters ... tomorrow, Fortnight!  ??

14 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Now I had to look up whether Hacker, also by Activision, had a similar code system but it does not seem to have one, only a general purpose login code to enter the game.

It looks like Survival Island from 1983 on the 2600 may have been the first use of a password save. But that game was not released on several platforms like GB did. So the cross-platform element was not there.

23 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I found a few more codes if you have any doubt about your algorithm.

http://www.commodorecheetah.co.uk/Cheats/000028.htm

Thanks. 

Looks like the code is working well.

I just tested those entries you provided, and the ones that don't work, did not work at Perifractic's either. So I'm assuming those account names/numbers are incorrect.

Also, I'm not supporting the entry of those weird ones with numeric account names, neither those with letters as account numbers. Do the originals really support this stuff? I have to check.

I don't think the accounts were supposed to be setup like that.

Edited by cmadruga

Yes. Codes like 12345 - 25393120 and LEFTY - LEFTY work on the original C64 version. However POKE and 2014,9 does not work. Also blank name + blank account number is not valid.

I wonder if the other implementations support those or if it is by accident that in particular letter based account numbers work.

Edited by carlsson

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, cmadruga said:

This may or may not lead to a full game.

GRAM is a significant constraint at the moment.

That looks great! I took a stab at that a couple years ago, my version was just scrolling the whole playfield left and right, score and all. I like they way you did it better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...