IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

Hi everyone, okay so I was up till about 3am working on things and doing a lot of testing, so I posted up several videos up to the 7800 Expansion Module group on facebook (also known as evilbook as well ;-) so just sharing the videos and love here as well keeping everyone up to date...  More XM's on there way out, yay!!!

• Like 8

Hi Everyone,

Okay so I was able to reach Albert and he cleared out the video's, they were just way too big, so I started uploading to Youtube and I'm embedding the links here, sorry for all of the trouble...

Here they are:

#1:

#2:

#3: The "Not Atari" Lab...

• Like 20

5 minutes ago, Giles N said:

@Curt Vendel

Congratulations!

Hope this will be produced in some larger quanta and be sold with A7800s (somewhere) or game-bundles of non-pokey versions of games with pokey-sound-programming.

?????

I have enough plastics and name plates to build 500 of them, I'm sure that will be plenty for everyone.   I've tried to stress to coders that if possible, to have a TIA mode and a POKEY mode on their games.   Others that will use the Yamaha or use the additional memory, keyboard or SIO obviously may not be able to have ways to work without seeing those features but coders may end up doing non-XM versions of that games with more trimmed down capabilities too to sell along side the more feature rich XM only versions.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Curt Vendel said:

I have enough plastics and name plates to build 500 of them, I'm sure that will be plenty for everyone.   I've tried to stress to coders that if possible, to have a TIA mode and a POKEY mode on their games.   Others that will use the Yamaha or use the additional memory, keyboard or SIO obviously may not be able to have ways to work without seeing those features but coders may end up doing non-XM versions of that games with more trimmed down capabilities too to sell along side the more feature rich XM only versions.

Very good!!

Any approximate price for these boards yet (without shipping)?

Edited by Giles N

36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Here is hoping the GroovyBee name is removed from the final version. Too much negativity attached to him and all his missteps across all vintage gaming. No point in flaunting that in the faces of all of those he has done wrong by.

I think he is working on it now...

3 hours ago, tep392 said:

He has been supporting it for the last couple years now.  His work is essential for getting it done since the BIOS is all his.

Others, including yourself, would have taken over on the BIOS long ago if he handed over the source when he quit and took his ball to run home. Hell even CPUWIZ was at one point willing to finish the BIOS but Mark wouldn't play nice. For a time frame reference, that was about the same time he took a good $10k from members for games that never happened and refunds that of which many still have not happened to this day. The only things he ever completed was 2 short little games in Worm! and Wasp! of which I produced the initial run of carts (he got royalty payments) and I did the label art for them both. This was a decade ago. Everything else has been false promised, missed deadlines and vaporware. The only reason the BIOS is "all his" is because it was a forced situation . All the feature creep the XM had was his fault also. Where are all these games that needed all that crap? Oh yeah, they don't exist cause it was all hot air. If you are cool with someone like that's name on your toys that is fine, I'm not cool with it and I personally know many others who are not ok with it either.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, JonnyBritish said:

Can you post a vid of the yamaha demo curt

are those patch wires i am seeing

purple boards look awesome

This was why I ran just the 5 dev boards of the new SMD design, turned out 3 of the traces didn't get routed correctly to the top layer of the devices, so I put on some straps to resolve. I've updated the PCB files and now when I run off the end user versions, those are fixed and I don't have any patches to place on the boards, they are all set ?

As you requested:  An audio demo with the Yamaha chip...

https://youtu.be/0ftA_AGNx-A

• Like 7

12 hours ago, DEBRO said:

Do you have a demo of the XM working with a CC2 built in high score and POKEY?

Also, is there a way for a developer to know the XM is present?

Hi Dennis,

Yes CC2 works with the XM, that was one of the very first hurdles that was completed.

Your code is going to look for the devices same as it would for an HSC, POKEY ($450), check for SRAM (If your game will be able to work in a limited way without seeing the SRAM) and such...  I've posted some of the register info up 7800xm.com and a lot more will be made available over time.

Would love to see you coding XM games! ?

Hi Curt,

19 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Yes CC2 works with the XM, that was one of the very first hurdles that was completed.

That's great to hear! Thanks!

Your code is going to look for the devices same as it would for an HSC, POKEY ($450), check for SRAM (If your game will be able to work in a limited way without seeing the SRAM) and such...  I've posted some of the register info up 7800xm.com and a lot more will be made available over time.

Looking for the HSC, region (i.e. NTSC or PAL), and POKEY are currently three separate checks, right? Now with the XM, I understand you do another check as POKEY could reside in another place?

I looked at the site and can't tell if those all read or write registers. Curious, with the XM installed, is the stock 7800 RAM mirrored and contiguous with SRAM? Not that big of a deal...I was just curious. I'll wait for more information to come on the XM. This is exciting!

Would love to see you coding XM games! ?

I would love to do / complete a game on any platform at this point :lol:

• Like 4

I shipped Bob's (PacManPlus) XM to him about 1 hour ago, he'll have it on Friday and I have to say, given all of the games Bob has written, it is a true honor to put one these into his hands.  Hoping he'll start working on more of his games with POKEY, HSC and hopefully with Yamaha and use of the memory...   Maybe a Super Pac Man XM version??? ;-)

bobs-xm.thumb.jpg.577b96f96bb90d8310f25ef78fe3d6ab.jpg

• Like 19