IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

Just now, eebuckeye said:

I just hope any future revision of the XM does not segregate XM users.. i.e. you must have version 2 to run this XM game or use all the features.  That would really suck after the delays.

Good point, and precisely what I had in mind as well.

Just now, Kobra Kai said:

You're right, the remark I made early this morning was out of line, and for that I apologize. I woke up cranky but that's no excuse. I pop off like that sometimes.

No worries, I have my days as well, and when I do I really have to bite my tongue big time, lest I say something I'll regret ? . Seems like that comes with the territory as one gets older, hence the saying grumpy old man sometimes fits me well. For me a lot has to do with how good I slept the night before.

The bad thing about forums, is that everyone is so far apart from each other. Otherwise I'd say lets get together for beer ? and pizza ? and forget about it .

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

So I noticed this has an SIO port.  Will current 8-bit Atari peripherals work with this?  Does this mean that Atari 8-bit formatted disksvare readable?  or a Lotharek SD reader?

And with the keyboard... maybe might see games using it, or ports of Atari utilities like TurboBASIC or Action!

If a coder makes the SIO protocol driver and makes applications to access it, yes, you would be able to use drives, printers, etc...    You could conceivable see someone doing a word processor, terminal program or maybe creating developer tools to actually do coding on the console or coding on a PC and then loading the game or application into the XM's 128K of onboard memory, running the file to test and debug on the real hardware.     The potential is there, if coders are willing to tap into it.

• Like 3

Got a lot of good news from Bob and Perry over the weekend, they've been testing a great deal of games and so far they've all worked.   Perry also testing a game I've been concerned about which was Serpentine because it has its own onboard memory on the cart and it plays perfectly well with the XM.   Would be interesting to look into doing an XM version of Serpentine where the cart won't need the RAM but can use the onboard XM RAM instead and reduce the cost of the cartridge.

One final thing being implemented is creating the signature for the POKEY boards being sold and to have the XM recognize them and have the XM check for POKEY and turn off its own, so that's being worked out and should be implemented shortly.   But so far nothing seems to be holding back from continuing forward with completing the final BIOS.  I just ordered in a new batch of boards with the fixes to the 3 straps that were needed and added a nested footprint for future FRAM chips for the High Score function so Dallas or FM chips could be used and both footprints are there.

Mytek suggested looking at JLCPCB he uses for the 1088XL's... their prices are fantastic, only downside is they don't have purple soldermask.  No one is really going to be seeing the boards much, so color doesn't really matter so I'm giving them a short and did a run of boards with them and I'll have them in by Monday or Tuesday to build out another batch of boards.

Will give another update next Monday or Tuesday when there is more to report...

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Got a lot of good news from Bob and Perry over the weekend, they've been testing a great deal of games and so far they've all worked.   Perry also testing a game I've been concerned about which was Serpentine because it has its own onboard memory on the cart and it plays perfectly well with the XM.   Would be interesting to look into doing an XM version of Serpentine where the cart won't need the RAM but can use the onboard XM RAM instead and reduce the cost of the cartridge.

One final thing being implemented is creating the signature for the POKEY boards being sold and to have the XM recognize them and have the XM check for POKEY and turn off its own, so that's being worked out and should be implemented shortly.   But so far nothing seems to be holding back from continuing forward with completing the final BIOS.  I just ordered in a new batch of boards with the fixes to the 3 straps that were needed and added a nested footprint for future FRAM chips for the High Score function so Dallas or FM chips could be used and both footprints are there.

Mytek suggested looking at JLCPCB he uses for the 1088XL's... their prices are fantastic, only downside is they don't have purple soldermask.  No one is really going to be seeing the boards much, so color doesn't really matter so I'm giving them a short and did a run of boards with them and I'll have them in by Monday or Tuesday to build out another batch of boards.

Will give another update next Monday or Tuesday when there is more to report...

Would it be possible to have double POKEY?  Meaning, XM POKEY plus a cart onboard POKEY?

5 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Would it be possible to have double POKEY?  Meaning, XM POKEY plus a cart onboard POKEY?

No, the XM will turn off its onboard Pokey if it see's an external since they'd both reside in the same locations and conflict with one another.   You could have both the XM Pokey and Yamaha both work together, now THAT would make for some serious ear candy!  ?

• Like 3

I updated my original cartridge guide design.  I did an exact duplicate of the Atari design not realizing that tons of 3rd party carts can't fit in the 7800 because the Atari guide is just way too narrow and the corners angle in on their radius too far inward. To I adjusted the draft on the front and back sides to match the left and right sides, redid the top lip to accomodate and more squared off the bottom corners to accomodate the more squared cornered carts.    Bob (PacManPlus) is going to do a 3D print and test them out and then send one to Perry and me to evaluate. 

If they work out as they should, this means 7800 owners can finally play all of the Imagic, Spectravideo, Coleco and some Activision cartridges that just never fit in the 7800's, plus these will make good upgrades for everyone who cracked their cartridge guides.

Product Design.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt Vendel said:

I updated my original cartridge guide design.  I did an exact duplicate of the Atari design not realizing that tons of 3rd party carts can't fit in the 7800 because the Atari guide is just way too narrow and the corners angle in on their radius too far inward. To I adjusted the draft on the front and back sides to match the left and right sides, redid the top lip to accomodate and more squared off the bottom corners to accomodate the more squared cornered carts.    Bob (PacManPlus) is going to do a 3D print and test them out and then send one to Perry and me to evaluate. 

If they work out as they should, this means 7800 owners can finally play all of the Imagic, Spectravideo, Coleco and some Activision cartridges that just never fit in the 7800's, plus these will make good upgrades for everyone who cracked their cartridge guides.

Product Design.png

This is EXCELLENT!! @Curt Vendel . I hope it works the way you hope it will. 

I will ask again...Is there anyone out there that doesn't want their pre-order and wants to sell it now?  ??

• Like 2

Product Design.png

Oh yeah!  If you build it, we will buy it.

• Like 1

No, the XM will turn off its onboard Pokey if it see's an external since they'd both reside in the same locations and conflict with one another.   You could have both the XM Pokey and Yamaha both work together, now THAT would make for some serious ear candy!  ?

Paperboy anyone?  That used a Yamaha and dual PoKeys.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

ok.  can someone point me to some good docs on doing Yamaha sound in 6502?

Perry is working on some of that and we've been talking with Commander X-16 guys as some of them are writing tools for using their 2151 on the 6502/65816 computer (its kind of like a C64'ish clone)

6 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Actually, my Versa PLD code can pick up the POKEY in many locations, so for instance, if you code for $0450 for XM, you can also trigger the Versa POKEY at $0500 for instance, but you probably can't mix the two on your board.

• Like 1