IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

Some further thoughts:

The Renoise .xrns format saves song and patch data, maybe these can be converted and imported into 7800basic. 

There is also an .fxp format for patches which will vary according to which VST you use.  Maybe the ones for VOPM can be imported into 7800basic or converted to OPM.

The goal is a fully automated system of song creation:  Track it in Renoise using VOPM VST, export ..xrns or .mid, export your instruments, then import the song and instruments into 7800basic.   I will do up a demo soon to test this idea.

• Like 2

I'm not super keen on interfacing 7800basic with commercial software. Also, that one seems pretty advanced, which I think lessens the chance we can export it to something that the 6502 can use. And .mid files are too verbose for most of the chiptune type songs people will be crafting. (I've played with midi conversion to 2600)

Looking around, one possible alternative is DefleMask tracker, which (among other sounds) already bundles a YM2151 module which can read .opm files. It's available freely on Windows, Linux, and OS X (and not as freely on Android and iOS) and it has it's DFM output format documented. I'm not saying integration would be a cakewalk (no midi pun intended) but it would seem like a possibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ekthanatou said:

This is a massive thread, considering it is only one month old!

This sounds amazing. So, will an XM enable an NTSC 7800 to play PAL games?

I'll be watching, for sure. If there is a wait list, I'd love to get on it.

The thread may be a month old, but we have been waiting for the XM for a decade :D

No, it won't make an NTSC machine be able to play PAL games

You missed the wait list 10 years ago :P

14 hours ago, ekthanatou said:

This is a massive thread, considering it is only one month old!

This sounds amazing. So, will an XM enable an NTSC 7800 to play PAL games?

I'll be watching, for sure. If there is a wait list, I'd love to get on it.

It is supposed to be in the AA store at some point after all the preorders have been received. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Figured it out ... each .opm can be edited.  They need to be broken into chunks of 8 ...

I am excited.  Gonna work up a demo in Deflemask... and then post it.  Then, see if someone on here can get it ported to the XM.

Lots of new toys to try Bobby - excited to hear what you come up with mate ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RevEng said:

The problem with that approach, similar to using midi, is that it would eat quite a bit of ROM.

I could make a board, bigger than 1MB, but who wants to pay for the components?  Plus, if you can't make a 1MB + XM game, you suck anyway. :P

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RevEng said:

We fairly easily dump the voice and note data sent to the virtual YM2151 with a hacked driver. The problem with that approach, similar to using midi, is that it would eat quite a bit of ROM.

Never mind.

I can recreate the music from scratch, and with my sound library, make it sound better than the arcade version anyway.  ?

This is gonna make the NES jealous ... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Never mind.

I can recreate the music from scratch, and with my sound library, make it sound better than the arcade version anyway.  ?

This is gonna make the NES jealous ... 

What I would love to see for the 7800 is a Super Mario killer, along with music that sticks in your head like that game does!

On that note, I still need to test out the SMS gamepads I have on mine, they should work, right?  I have the stock joystick, plus sms versions of the 500xj, but I don't think I have tried any two button games on it yet...

Looking forwared to buying the XM whenever they go up for non-pre order sale.