IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

SMS controllers will not work properly on 7800 for 2 button control without modifiication.  Same for Genesis, although one of the three buttons is mapped to the paddle 0 register and another is the standard trigger ... so if it were coded in the game, you essentially have a 2 button controller.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone...  just checked with the PCB fab, still sitting at 87%, its been like with for almost 2 weeks and I just emailed their customer support.   I explained that I know the virus is making things difficult, but could they please try to complete my order.   Not much else I can do right now, sorry everyone.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Hi Everyone

How do I get a pre order for this XM module. I want to get one.

I have early Atari 7800 with serial number 000517 EP-264.

I am guessing it will still work with it. My Dad brought it home in his days when working with Atari.

That did not last long and is a whole different story since he quit in late 1984 and we moved to the east cost and

my dad work as a Electronic Engineer under contracts.*mil

I have a lot of other cool Atari things from the past that he brought home when I was a kid and by the time the Atari

7800 came out in 1984 I was near my graduating year of high school. Dad was an electronic Engineer under contracting.

This Sounds so cool.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

3 hours ago, Sean39 said:

Hi Everyone

How do I get a pre order for this XM module. I want to get one.

I have early Atari 7800 with serial number 000517 EP-264.

I am guessing it will still work with it. My Dad brought it home in his days when working with Atari.

That did not last long and is a whole different story since he quit in late 1984 and we moved to the east cost and

my dad work as a Electronic Engineer under contracts.*mil

I have a lot of other cool Atari things from the past that he brought home when I was a kid and by the time the Atari

7800 came out in 1984 I was near my graduating year of high school. Dad was an electronic Engineer under contracting.

This Sounds so cool.

Thanks

You can't pre-order it.You'll have to wait until the people who pre-ordered in 2010 to get theirs. Then I'ts been said that they will be sold on AtariAge.

Oh ok.   Well I hope I can get one. I was not all that young when the Atari 7800

came out in 1984. I know people say they did not sell any in 1984 but from what I understand they did.

They just did not sell that many since the project was shut down. Actually it was Atari did not ship that many units out before

the change in Management. I started college in 1985 ,so that give you an ideal how old I was at the time.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Sean39 said:

Oh ok.   Well I hope I can get one. I was not all that young when the Atari 7800

came out in 1984. I know people say they did not sell any in 1984 but from what I understand they did.

They just did not sell that many since the project was shut down. Actually it was Atari did not ship that many units out before

the change in Management. I started college in 1985 ,so that give you an ideal how old I was at the time.

Thanks

Hi Peteym!

11 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Hi Everyone...  just checked with the PCB fab, still sitting at 87%, its been like with for almost 2 weeks and I just emailed their customer support.   I explained that I know the virus is making things difficult, but could they please try to complete my order.   Not much else I can do right now, sorry everyone.

When it comes for the 2nd run, maybe pick someone else.  Who did opcode get to make their PCBs for the Phoenix?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

When it comes for the 2nd run, maybe pick someone else.  Who did opcode get to make their PCBs for the Phoenix?

The Coronavirus outbreak will affect every Asian fab house for months. Very few US-based PCB manufacturers these days, I think. And even those may be affected by component shortages or shipping issues if Curt intends to have the fab stuff part of the board during manufacturing.

• Like 2

Who is Peteym!  or what does this mean?

I been on this forum 13 years and mainly dealt with the Atari 2600

and 8 bit computers. I am just now really trying to find out things my dad told me

back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Sorry that not my name or if it means something else.

Anyways thanks to everyone who help out with letting me know about the pre order list back in 2010.

Here is my dad Atari 7800. I took pics of it of the outside and insides.

Out side pics with serial number tag. Tried placing the Link to it and this comes up.

pictures of the insides of it.

Not sure why this is coming up and just not the address line.

Anyways sorry if I offended anyone Just wanted to know about the Module and maybe some history to

fill in the gaps on my dad things. My question was answered so thank you very much.

I will leave this thread back to you guys and go back to the ones I am usually on.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

53 minutes ago, Sean39 said:

I been on this forum 13 years and mainly dealt with the Atari 2600

and 8 bit computers. I am just now really trying to find out things my dad told me

back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Welcome to the XM thread Sean39.  I would happy to hear any Atari stories you may have heard from your Dad.

4 hours ago, mellis said:

Hi Peteym!

I doubt that Peteym5 was making multiple accounts back in 2008.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

yeah - this is happening everywhere. We had to switch PC vendors from Lenovo to Dell for my firm because Lenovo can't ship anything right now.

Hi tep392

I was mainly on the 8 bit computers. I like the Atari 800 computers and I also had the Atari 400 as well.

I had set up also the Atari 130XE computer.  Anyways non of them are set up now but back then I was in to

the programing thing. Also I like the Atari 2600 alot but really more for the history of it. Anyways Just trying to get the real story

on the 7800 since so much was thrown at me back then. I am talking about in 1984 and with trying to get out of school and move

on to college. Then on top of that we ended up moving from the West cost to the east cost. There was a lot of new adjustments for in life itself.

As you can see I would have not been paying much attention to what was going on with the 7800. I just knew my dad was not happy and came home and said he had a new job on the east cost and quit. Anyways I was tied up with school and now packing everything for a move.

My dad talked about the Atari 7800 and I thought he had said something about a shipment of them before the new management came in.

Yes the new management stop all shipments but the old management had time to ship things out before the new guys came in.

This is what I was understanding at the time from my dad. I could be 100% wrong but from my understanding that consumers were

being told after buying the Atari 7800 there would be no more they could get for it.  Since the Atari 7800 was basically cancelled.

Remember no one knew it was going to ever back around in 1986 especially in 1984. My question was why were consumers being told this

in 1984 if they did not already have the console at hand. See these are questions I want answered. My mom and dad would talk about this stuff over the dinner table and it just made my dad more angry everytime he thought about it.

Anyways I am not this Peterym5  guy but I am a person with alot of questions now . I really wish back then I had got more of the story from my dad. Just know it was a very touchy topic in our home. This whole thing change my life. I ended up graduating on the east cost from high school and end up going to an east cost college.  I did like the east cost very much and ended up loving it there. The change was very good.

Well I am not going to go on for ever. Again Alot was going on and I am not even sure if any 7800s shipped out in 1984 but from what I did pick up from my dad. It made me to believe at least one shipment did get out before new management came in and took the company over.

After that it was history my dad started looking for work other places. Not a fun time when your dad comes home mad almost every night from work. Anyways I do not want to get in to that over the internet.

I am sorry if I anger anyone over this. I am not sure of everything that happen back then but now I sure wish I had paid more attention to it.

Well I will leave this thread back up to you guys and return back to the ones I use to get on.

Thanks for all your helpful information on the module. By the Way is there anyone on Atari age anymore in their

50s++ and 60s. My generation. I am just Asking since you would have to be this old to Remember Atari Pong

when it first came out. By the time Atari 2600 came out everyone on my block thought it was so cool in 1977.

Remember before this we had nothing and were told to go outside and play and come in at dark. Most kids of our generation were told this since there were no Video games at all. ( not even Arcades) If you like pinball machines you had that.

Anyways we did other things. Now I am dating myself. I was not that young when I graduated high school like most people.

Let just say I goof off a lot and should have done better.

Good Bye.

Edited by Sean39

3 hours ago, Sean39 said:

Anyways Just trying to get the real story

on the 7800 since so much was thrown at me back then. I am talking about in 1984 and with trying to get out of school and move

on to college.

Pretty sure the motherboard of the first one I got where the case was cracked all over had a copyright of 1984 on it.  But it would be interesting to see if we could figure out which ones actually were shipped out in 1984, and which were shipped after the Tramiels decided they should sell it.

29 minutes ago, leech said:

Pretty sure the motherboard of the first one I got where the case was cracked all over had a copyright of 1984 on it.  But it would be interesting to see if we could figure out which ones actually were shipped out in 1984, and which were shipped after the Tramiels decided they should sell it.

There's plenty of info about this on the forum. Several thousand pilot units were assembled in Atari's El Paso TX facility in 1984 and have "EP" serial number prefixes. Following that run, Atari ordered a much larger (unknown to me) production run of boards with AT-84 serial numbers. There was a small trial release in 1984 in the NYC market before the payment kerfuffle between GCC (the designers of the machine), Tramiel's Atari Corp. and Warner Communications blew up and got most of that run stuffed onto warehouse shelves for 18 months or more. By the time of the re-launch of the product around 1986 or so, the NES had been introduced in the US and stolen the imaginations of a new generation of kids. Atari never regained all that lost time, marketshare or emotional connection with its customers. 

See here for more:  http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800menu/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

The Coronavirus outbreak will affect every Asian fab house for months. Very few US-based PCB manufacturers these days, I think. And even those may be affected by component shortages or shipping issues if Curt intends to have the fab stuff part of the board during manufacturing.

I may have to just bite the bullet and order from Advanced Circuits...  gonna cost me a bundle, but what choice do I have, I need these out there to people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

There's plenty of info about this on the forum. Several thousand pilot units were assembled in Atari's El Paso TX facility in 1984 and have "EP" serial number prefixes. Following that run, Atari ordered a much larger (unknown to me) production run of boards with AT-84 serial numbers. There was a small trial release in 1984 in the NYC market before the payment kerfuffle between GCC (the designers of the machine), Tramiel's Atari Corp. and Warner Communications blew up and got most of that run stuffed onto warehouse shelves for 18 months or more. By the time of the re-launch of the product around 1986 or so, the NES had been introduced in the US and stolen the imaginations of a new generation of kids. Atari never regained all that lost time, marketshare or emotional connection with its customers. 

See here for more:  http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800menu/

From what I have seen, there were 10,000 EP (El Paso) units made. How many were shipped before the company was sold is the real question. Though I have heard that 5000 of them made it out the door in 84.

Also, there appear to be ~64,000 AT84 (Atari Taiwan) units made and ~23,000 AT85 units.

Now to get back on topic...

Mitch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1