IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

7 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Bah! Youngsters...I’ll be 53 in June.

I got you beat by 3 months.  I'm happy to have grown up in the era I did though.  I got to experience Pong, the VCS and learn programming on the early 8-bit Atari's.  Also got to be a "free range" kid without any worries of all the danger's out there.

• Like 4

On 2/11/2020 at 11:43 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

Never mind.

I can recreate the music from scratch, and with my sound library, make it sound better than the arcade version anyway.  ?

This is gonna make the NES jealous ... 

I did a mockup around 3 years ago (not the latest rom) of Pokey music by rockman_x_2002 (who did amazing work).  YM music would be an even more impressive upgrade for use with the XM.  I'd still love to see a standalone pokey cart at some point.  I love this version of the game.  It could be better with more enemy sprites, but in my opinion, is already the closest to the arcade of any 8-bit version and would definitely stand out with Pokey and/or YM music.

• Like 3

Well I have you all beat, but I know you went and look When I joined earlier and my birthday is posted there.

So you all are all young compared to me. Like this is something to be really happy about. Im just getting old.

I still like talking to you all since being in this hobby makes me feel young. I miss some of the guys who were up here

when I was a lot younger. They were 50 and 60 then . They would be in their 70s and possibly near 80s now.

Some of these guys did amazing things and were a lot of help to me after my wife passed away in a car wreck.

Well then some of us can remember small parts of the 1960s, While others remember the early 1970s.

One thing I can say when the Atari VCS came out it really was a nice change to playing so many variations

of pong machines. Pinball was the big thing but probably most of us were told to go outside and play.

Then come in before the sun goes down. Anyone remember those days ?

Edited by Sean39

8 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I did a mockup around 3 years ago (not the latest rom) of Pokey music by rockman_x_2002 (who did amazing work).  YM music would be an even more impressive upgrade for use with the XM.  I'd still love to see a standalone pokey cart at some point.  I love this version of the game.  It could be better with more enemy sprites, but in my opinion, is already the closest to the arcade of any 8-bit version and would definitely stand out with Pokey and/or YM music.

Wow! This needs a standalone cart?

Hi Curt

I have been trying to write you back as you ask but it saying you cannot take messages right now.

What is going on. Please let me know what has happen since we were talking.

Thanks

Im out of here and let you all have your thread back

Good By

Edited by Sean39

7 hours ago, leech said:

Hopefully I can get an XM before I hit 64.  So that gives another 20!

I am only 1 year younger.. I was a happy person back in 2010 when the XM came out . Now 10 years later found out I can never be the same ever. Life sucks. At least we have this fantasy land where we can dream about the better times.

lt will feel like tomorrow and we will all meet to play Atari. 

OK, sound demo done ... :)

This is my rendition of the Area 1/Area 3 music from the NES shooter Zanac.  It's been heavily redone in 8 channels.  Most of the sounds are converted from my Yamaha DX-100 library but some had to be heavily altered.  The kick, of course, is 100% identical to the demo song I posted earlier.

Attached is an mp3, , a.vgm module, and a Deflemask .dmf module.  Now ... can someone on here convert this to 6502 code and test this on an XM?  If this actually comes out of an Atari 7800 ... OMG.

zanac - area 1 and 3.mp3 zanac.vgm zanac.dmf

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:04 PM, Sean39 said:

Hi Curt

I have been trying to write you back as you ask but it saying you cannot take messages right now.

What is going on. Please let me know what has happen since we were talking.

Thanks

Im out of here and let you all have your thread back

Good By

I got your msgs Sean & replied 

book on its way ?

17 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

This is my rendition of the Area 1/Area 3 music from the NES shooter Zanac.  It's been heavily redone in 8 channels.  Most of the sounds are converted from my Yamaha DX-100 library but some had to be heavily altered.  The kick, of course, is 100% identical to the demo song I posted earlier.

Attached is an mp3, , a.vgm module, and a Deflemask .dmf module.  Now ... can someone on here convert this to 6502 code and test this on an XM?  If this actually comes out of an Atari 7800 ... OMG.

zanac - area 1 and 3.mp3 1.17 MB · 15 downloads zanac.vgm 19.31 kB · 3 downloads zanac.dmf 1.31 kB · 3 downloads

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if games on the 7800 with the XM can have sound like that it’s going to be incredible!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just checked out SunStone and Advanced Circuits... boards range from $23 to $46 each to be made, what a bargain ?

I checked with PCBWAY, they are back up in limited resources, they will be do 2 layers green only, so I may just go back to them while I wait for JLCPCB to either get back up and running or become permanently shutdown by the bat soup zombie plaque ?

18 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

zanac - area 1 and 3.mp3 1.17 MB · 18 downloads zanac.vgm 19.31 kB · 4 downloads zanac.dmf 1.31 kB · 3 downloads

This is the perfect background music for a 7800 version of Zippy the Porcupine ?

Still hoping someone does Marble Madness on the 7800....  or...

7800 Crystal Castles, which was actually an early launch title but never materialized...

If we are going to have all these new capabilities, the 7800 needs new games (but enhancements to existing one will definitely be welcomed!) 

Oh...  7800 Vanguard ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt Vendel said:

This is the perfect background music for a 7800 version of Zippy the Porcupine ?

Still hoping someone does Marble Madness on the 7800....  or...

7800 Crystal Castles, which was actually an early launch title but never materialized...

If we are going to have all these new capabilities, the 7800 needs new games (but enhancements to existing one will definitely be welcomed!) 

Oh...  7800 Vanguard ?

Indeed .  

Keeping in mind ... arcade Crystal Castles was a quad POKEY I think, not Yamaha.  But no reason we can't upgrade the sounds!

For comparison I am going to post the NES and MSX versions of Zanac.   Opcode also recently did a port for Colecovision.

Always believed 7800 could do this... in fact, one could even hack Xevious.  With the YM ... wow.

• Like 1