IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

The idea is ... on the recent POKEY version, the ramp music is an octave too high, and there is a technical reason:  $Ax on POKEY in 8 bit mode can not reach the low A#2 needed to play this note.  It only goes to B3, so the original Atari XL programmer transposed it up an octave. 

My solution is to pitch everything up one semitone to B2.  It will sound better :)

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tep392 said:

Your to funny. :)

I sure am glad I was able to fix my grammar mistake in another thread!  Though it would be fun just to start a 'non-sober' thread, where the requirement is to be drunk to post in, just to see where it goes!

Has it been stated when the XM will be available to the people that didn't pre-order?  Quite probable I missed it when partaking of Scotch or something.

1 minute ago, Jinks said:

More orders taken when you see all 250 shipped. Stay tuned. This has been said about 37 times in the last 9-12 XM threads over the decade but in case you missed it here it goes the 38th time just for you.

?

I don't remember there being 250 pre orders taken. I thought it was 100 or 150 but I could be completely wrong.

1 hour ago, Jinks said:

Ya know what.. I could be wrong too. I guess two too many qwhiskeys from then till now to remember.. 

But he's sure this is the 38th time it was mentioned.  Also, what's a Qwhiskey?  When you drink a whole bottle too quick and spew a fountain of it?

18 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

RevEng:  Would you be so kind as to convert the DX-100 factory patches here, to .OPM?  Thanks.  I wanna try the famous Solid Bass patch. :)

I actually had those converted to OPM already, but I went ahead and created a script to split out the 48-instrument files into 8-instrument files.

I've started a meagre OPM collection at 7800.8bitdev.org and put them there... more to come when I get a chance.

Let me know if I'm good to stick your patches there too. (credited, of course)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

While you're at it, grab my latest updated POKEY table and put it up there. :)

I'll do that for sure, but I'm done for the day. Between the dmf2asm and working through the opm files, I'm baked.

If you downloaded any of the opm zips, you may want to re-download them. I noticed some of them had empty sounds, so I trimmed those, and I also added a "00_Index.txt" file that breaks down the patch names in each opm file.

Another idea ...

Someone at Highly Liquid made a device called MIDI2600 to work with synthcart for the 2600 through the joystick ports.  If such a device could interface the 7800, we'd have a bonafide MIDI driven sound module with the XM.

MIDI2600 isn't made anymore but ... I wonder if the specs exist anywhere. 

5 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

MIDI2600 isn't made anymore but ... I wonder if the specs exist anywhere. 

There's also sio2midi, which has PCB gerbers and microcontroller code available. That way you'd have both joystick ports free, and you'd have both midi-in and midi-out. Then the midi ports could even be used for console networking, like in midi-maze.

• Like 3