IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

20 minutes ago, RevEng said:

There's also sio2midi, which has PCB gerbers and microcontroller code available. That way you'd have both joystick ports free, and you'd have both midi-in and midi-out.

One of the most fun thing Michael did for the 1088XLD was to baseline SIO2MIDI as part of the design and build it into the system. It’s tons of fun to use the built-in MIDI ports to play music files through external MIDI instruments connected to the XLD, or alternately, feed MIDI data into the system from an external source and play it via the built-in S2 Dreamblaster wavetable synth module. 

• Like 3

If you can post a day ahead of where you want to send them. That would be great. I may need to change my shipping address  depending on when these are shipped.

Are these going to developers in the next couple of batches? As in the end user bios is not ready yet? 

OK, two more experiments ...

I managed to butcher the YM2151 into mimicing the muffled triangle wave sound of the original arcade Donkey Kong.  Only 2 channels of the YM are used ... we got plenty more to play with.  Either the POKEY or the YM can be used for the other sounds ... here we have the intro, and also the "how high can you get" theme.  All in it's lo-fi muffled arcade glory!

dk - how high.dmf dk - intro.dmf donkey kong intro.wav how high can you get.wav

• Like 4

A couple more ...

Pauline rescue ... and the points sound for jumping barrels.  On the last, I played with the frequency to make it sound distorted like the arcade.

EDIT:  Points sound did not translate right ... ?

dk - points.dmfdk - level finish.dmf

level finish.wav points.wav

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 7

On 2/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, Jinks said:

If you can post a day ahead of where you want to send them. That would be great. I may need to change my shipping address  depending on when these are shipped.

Are these going to developers in the next couple of batches? As in the end user bios is not ready yet? 

End user BIOS will not be on the next batch.

I'm not sure how it works on real hardware, but I've completed v0.1 of my XMYM tracker, and it works in emulation...

XMYM_Tracker.thumb.png.f751bc5fad56b367f98e0f73e74a0525.png

xmymplay.bas.a78

xmymplay.bas.bin

For those that haven't followed along, the music comes from Synthpopalooza's composition in the DefleMask music composer software. I wrote a "dfm2asm" utility, and it provides the data song files for the XMYM tracker.

The zanac music data is 1128 bytes large. The XMYM tracker itself is 283 bytes large. It uses 11 bytes of memory, and 6 of those are zero page. All of that is subject to change, but I don't expect it will change much.

The basic program I've posted here to play the song has some embellishments that aren't part of the driver proper, like the VU meters, and the flashing blue bar that shows how much CPU the tracker is using during the visible frame. You can enable or disable that blue bar with the left difficulty switch. The tall blue bar when the rom starts up is due to all of the YM instrument registers loading at once, though I loop it for 60 frames just so you can actually see it. I may auto-split that initial setup across a few frames, so you can queue-up songs during your game without frame stutter.

CPU isn't going to be an issue here, at least when you're not switching instruments. I'm going to publicly release everything (naturally) and then take a look as mid-song instrument loads. But that will be after a few days break at least. Debugging this one took many exhausting days and evenings of troubleshooting.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Thanks for the kind words, and for taking that video, Perry! It's great to hear it running on real hardware. :) 

Wholly crap Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can't wait to see what kind stuff you're gonna do once you get your XM Dev unit next week!!!   That was such an incredible demo on the XM.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tep392 said:

I'm blown away!  Both at what a fantastic programmer Mike is and by how quickly he did this.  Here's a video of it running on the XM.

Wow, that's amazing, but I'll knock that down from being an 11 to a meager 10 because vertical video.  They are after all, a crime against humanity. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Curt Vendel said:

Wholly crap Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can't wait to see what kind stuff you're gonna do once you get your XM Dev unit next week!!!   That was such an incredible demo on the XM.

Thanks, Curt!  I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge  that it was Bobby's fantastic music work that the demo is driving. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Thanks ... I am just blown away hearing it on real hardware.  Guess I'd better work up some more demos?  ?

I might also write up a primer on FM synthesis while I am at it.

If only mere humans (without a Dev Cart or one of the handful of Concertos and CC2’s) could do the same. :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Thanks ... I am just blown away hearing it on real hardware.  Guess I'd better work up some more demos?  ?

I might also write up a primer on FM synthesis while I am at it.

I think both more demos, and an FM synthesis primer, would be wonderful. :)

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 1:46 AM, Curt Vendel said:

Boards arrived and I'm building all 5 at the same time.  I will be shipping these out on Monday and will post up where they are going to.

These are shipping to fill pre-orders now or are these more dev boards shipments?

Edited by Tidus79001