IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

On 3/2/2020 at 10:14 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

Now the only thing I need is a developer's cart or some means of transferring binaries to the actual hardware.

You should ask CPUWIZ if his Devcart is still available.

does this serial communicate through joystick port #2 from a PC to load a game into memory and run, that’s what Perry Demo’d with when he did the XMYM Tracker.

• Like 3

Just to let you know ... my XM arrived today and looks beautiful.   Will plug it up later.  No devcart yet (hopefully @CPUWIZ can help on that front) but I will try out the menus, and also my POKEY cart of BBCQ to see how it plays.

Also going to look into nodding the 7800 for composite A/V, and ultimately writing a MIDI utility for this thing.  In addition to that POKEY a7800 emulator test utility too.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 8

18 hours ago, RevEng said:

My XM just arrived, and I do agree with Synthpopalooza; it's surely a beautiful piece of gear.

It's going to be a fun weekend probing this thing. :D

Here is hoping mine has shipped\will ship soon then.

Holy Crap!  I hadn't checked on the status of the XM for two years and a thought popped into my mind today to check on its status.  Awesome job, Curt!  Looking forward to ordering one here on AtariAge!  

Now, we just need to get this virus under control...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumerNivek said:

Holy Crap!  I hadn't checked on the status of the XM for two years and a thought popped into my mind today to check on its status.  Awesome job, Curt!  Looking forward to ordering one here on AtariAge!  

Now, we just need to get this virus under control...

The XM virus? Or the make believe one? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jinks said:

The XM virus? Or the make believe one? 

The American Hospital Association (*) did a webinar last week for hospital management execs last week that recommended they prepare for a COVID-19 impact of approximately 10X that of a severe annual flu season. The bottom line was something on the order of several million hospitalizations and something on the order of 498,000 deaths in the U.S. alone. High-dollar events and conventions have been cancelled, including SXSW just today, which has run for over 30 years. Many companies have instituted travel bans, including mine. I've seen the slide the AHA presented. Doesn't sound "make believe" to me.

(*) A more fiscally-conservative and buttoned-down bunch you will never find. These guys have to make our rickety-ass health care "system" work despite rapacious managed care companies, politicians and the public caught up in it. They don't make shit up.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I took it to be a very tongue-in-cheek joke?

No one really knows wtf will happen but everyone is an expert. It was a joke/troll move. Laughter is the best medicine for everything.. oh wait that might be taken as...Forget it .. :(

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Giles N said:

@Curt Vendel

And when will the next load be up for grabs...?

?

Probably in 2 weeks, I still have 3 more here I am preparing.     Waiting on the final end user BIOS and we just need to complete the signature sense for the Versa boards.

I need to make sure this is all locked down, its important to support CPU's boards as many people have them and I don't want them to not be able to use them.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Randolph Laterca said:

So... can i start to dream about that 3200 clone that you promised? ?

I don’t recall making a promise.  It’s something I threw out there.  Maybe it can be looked at later on, let’s just get everyone their XMs first.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Probably in 2 weeks, I still have 3 more here I am preparing.     Waiting on the final end user BIOS and we just need to complete the signature sense for the Versa boards.

I need to make sure this is all locked down, its important to support CPU's boards as many people have them and I don't want them to not be able to use them.

Excellent!

Asking as user;

- will the next batch likely be brought from page you redirect to, or sold in the AtariAge hardware shopp along the edladdin controllers?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Excellent!

Asking as user;

- will the next batch likely be brought from page you redirect to, or sold in the AtariAge hardware shopp along the edladdin controllers?

I'm near positive he means the next batch of units that go to those that have pre-ordered. You still have close to 200 people in front of the line before new orders are being taken. It's gonna be a long time before that happens.

• Like 3

So, getting some video's and feedback from the developers, they are hitting the RAM pretty hard and looks like they are getting some random pixels on the screen, seems to be thermally related.   We are looking at the issue and trying to isolate the cause.   This is very helpful that the dev's have the XM's only so that they can really push them hard and anything still lurking can be resolved.   Mark is busily working on the End User BIOS and I also found a missing ground to a PAD for the SIO, so these tiny things are being sorted out.   Nothing is going to be a show stopper, so this is just getting any final issues out of the way so that we can make sure that the user versions are as bug free as possible.

Something I'm going to say.  The XM's are going to come with a disclaimer on them.    There is a lot of hardware in these units and we all have to remember that our 7800's are 28-35 years old.   I had to replace PacManPlus' 7805 and one of his caps on his 7800 because it wouldn't power up with the XM installed.  Once those were replaced, the 7800 with the XM powered up fine.  So there is the possibility that a persons 7800 may need repairs if they don't work with a XM installed.   I might have to consider given it, its own P/S to power it to reduce the pull the 7800's.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

I'm near positive he means the next batch of units that go to those that have pre-ordered. You still have close to 200 people in front of the line before new orders are being taken. It's gonna be a long time before that happens.

Exactly.. there are almost 178 (Several of the Dev's are also pre-orders so the count has gone down) people who are in front of the line with pre-orders, until everyone is taken care of first, none of the XM's being made are being sold for new orders.