IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

4 hours ago, Mitch said:

Still waiting for mine.

Mitch

Really? He posted publicly that your XM and your machines\games you lent him where going to be mailed back to you on March 4th and that my XM was next after that which I was waiting for after he did another board fix cause some others who got theres found something that needed a fix and I assumed I was getting one of the new pcb's that he posted about recently. Sorry to hear that, I assumed you already got yours. So it looks like Mitch is actually next and then I'm after him. :(

19 hours ago, Mitch said:

Still waiting for mine.

Mitch

Yup...   You're getting the newer board Mitch, needed to weed out the deep timing issue in the XMRAM....  you are for compatibility testing, so I wanted that sorted out before you get one...    I'll put yours to go out end of this week.   Sorry for the delay and my fault for not keeping you updated.

15 hours ago, Shawn said:

Really? He posted publicly that your XM and your machines\games you lent him where going to be mailed back to you on March 4th and that my XM was next after that which I was waiting for after he did another board fix cause some others who got theres found something that needed a fix and I assumed I was getting one of the new pcb's that he posted about recently. Sorry to hear that, I assumed you already got yours. So it looks like Mitch is actually next and then I'm after him. :(

Don't worry Shawn...  yours will go out once the end user BIOS is done as discussed...   not send you a Dev BIOS version as its just better you get the end user one.   Everyone is getting the newer PCB's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Don't worry Shawn...  yours will go out once the end user BIOS is done as discussed...   not send you a Dev BIOS version as its just better you get the end user one.   Everyone is getting the newer PCB's.

I'm game for the Dev BIOS if you recall, It's not a concern on my end and I don't really care about the end user BIOS. I can flash it to the end user BIOS in the future as we discussed. The Dev BIOS is cool by me to get the unit sooner than later if that was the only thing holding it back. If that timing issue is still a thing I understand that will be a delaying issue and of course I understand having to wait until that gets sorted out first as that it on the PLD not not the BIOS chip.

A couple of my friends who you have sent units to with the dev bios have shown me the ins and outs (you have too, obviously) and it's all good to me. I sent you a PM about potential power consumption,etc. We can continue via PM about that part :) 

6 hours ago, twoquickcapri said:

How much height does the XM add to the 7800 with the cart in? I only have about 2.5 inches of room above the cart in my current setup.

I'm gonna guess you will need to figure out something else for more clearance.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, twoquickcapri said:

How much height does the XM add to the 7800 with the cart in? I only have about 2.5 inches of room above the cart in my current setup.

Someone asked me this question a while ago, I’ll measure and post up, but it’s gonna be probably 3” or so...

Couple of photo's, one is a HSC (High Score Cart) signature test Mark added into the BIOS to detect if someone were to plug their HSC into the XM and for the XM to disable its built into HSC.

The other test is of the PIA functionality. While the XM does not come with a PIA, I still need to make sure that if a PIA is installed, it is fully functional.

The PIA fully enables the SIO port and will allow hardware hackers to enable a 2nd POKEY or many other features beyond what the XM will already do.

HSC_Detect1.thumb.jpg.5944f929e6cec12e9dfc4fef19e57c25.jpg

PIA_Test.thumb.jpg.9e334561233f40fd21ef414fbf203e62.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, twoquickcapri said:

So, normally a cart in the 7800 is about 5 1/2" High.

In the XM its an additional 2" higher, so you'd be looking at 7 1/2" total height.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt Vendel said:

The PIA fully enables the SIO port and will allow hardware hackers to enable a 2nd POKEY or many other features beyond what the XM will already do.

Does this mean the SIO port has less hardware functionalities compared to the 8-bit computers? 

5 hours ago, Allan said:

Does this mean the SIO port has less hardware functionalities compared to the 8-bit computers? 

No, as a matter of fact, other than it not having Motor connected or power out (due to not wanting to overstress the power draw on things) the SIO port, once a PIA is installed, makes it a full SIO compatible port.   I just don't envision people using Tape drives on it and any peripherals would use their own power source, so those pinouts are not connected on the XM SIO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

No, as a matter of fact, other than it not having Motor connected or power out (due to not wanting to overstress the power draw on things) the SIO port, once a PIA is installed, makes it a full SIO compatible port.   I just don't envision people using Tape drives on it and any peripherals would use their own power source, so those pinouts are not connected on the XM SIO.

There are probably a few devices, like my Sdrive2 that use the SIO power, but it's probably not something many people will do.  They can always wire the power pin if they want to.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

Thank you for the clarifying.

Maybe they could also use one of Lotharek's SIO Splitters with a power supply. Also I just remembered that the tape drives are self powered. I know the XE modem requires the power line. The 1030 modem has it's own power supply. I'm not sure if there is anything else that uses the SIO power line. Maybe some printer adapters.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:53 PM, Curt Vendel said:

That's unfortunate, since the MIDIMATE and recent MIDI compatible boards use the motor signal to place them on the SIO bus. This technique was also used for the RVERTER, thus enabling a very simple RS232 device to also work. In both cases it's not about drawing any real power from the motor pin, but instead using it as a signal line in conjunction with the SIO Data-In, Data-Out, and CLK-In. But I believe Fuji-Net will bring this functionality without needing the motor line.