IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

15 minutes ago, mytek said:

That's unfortunate, since the MIDIMATE and recent MIDI compatible boards use the motor signal to place them on the SIO bus. This technique was also used for the RVERTER, thus enabling a very simple RS232 device to also work. In both cases it's not about drawing any real power from the motor pin, but instead using it as a signal line in conjunction with the SIO Data-In, Data-Out, and CLK-In. But I believe Fuji-Net will bring this functionality without needing the motor line.

Well if someone like yourself is inclined to use it with such devices you will have to mod the unit to do so. 

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Is it possible to find out if I am still on the list? I think I pre-ordered this about 6 years ago. ?

Just go to 7800xm.com and click on the link at the bottom of the page for pre-orders and submit your info.

i never sold any in 2014 so I don’t think you actually pre-ordered one but if you have your receipt and emails please send them on the form.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to finally see this happening! I just submitted my old pre order with an updated address (I'm in a whole other state now lol). Can't wait to finally get my hands on this.

• Like 1

I went and re-submitted my old Legacy Engineering receipt e-mail as a screenshot, and submitted the order number along with updated address and everything.  Congrats on managing to get it out, Curt!  After all the hell you've gone through with your health, consider this a job well done sir!

• Like 1

Resubmitted what I have. Due to my not being on here in....forever....I don't have my email or receipt or order number. Hopefully Curt still has something on his end but I pre-ordered in 2010 so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Hopefully it works out, should have kept the emails!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Resubmitted what I have. Due to my not being on here in....forever....I don't have my email or receipt or order number. Hopefully Curt still has something on his end but I pre-ordered in 2010 so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Hopefully it works out, should have kept the emails!

Have you done a search amongst your emails for "Legacy Engineering"?  Was what I had to do, back when Curt still had that site

10 minutes ago, NightSprinter said:

Have you done a search amongst your emails for "Legacy Engineering"?  Was what I had to do, back when Curt still had that site

Apparently my old Hotmail account it was on got wiped at some point. Inbox completely empty. :( Admittedly, I haven't used that e-mail address since I was last here before now in....2013 as well, so.....yeah. It's on me. Fingers crossed that Curt can save the day. :)

On 5/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

Apparently my old Hotmail account it was on got wiped at some point. Inbox completely empty. :( Admittedly, I haven't used that e-mail address since I was last here before now in....2013 as well, so.....yeah. It's on me. Fingers crossed that Curt can save the day. :)

If you don't use those accounts for X amount of time they get deactivated IIRC so it's not really your fault. It has been 10 years after all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, Cebus Capucinis said:

I've found quite a lot of the old orders, now its just getting everyone's updated info, which is a major help obviously...  I'm going to be going from confirmed definite orders and when I get through those, the ones where I can't find anything and they don't have anything, we will try to work together to dig something, anything up.... several people have said they bought others orders, but never got anything from the seller...  that's like buying a car from someone who doesn't have the registration... those people need to track down the sellers and get that info..

I did add in the Motor control line onto the SIO ports.... adding in external power is going to add more to the cost and require more time.   The XM's run fine on every 7800 we've tested... if a 7800 has a 7805 VR that is already on its way out and the XM pushes it over, there are plenty of people who can offer to do the repair, its a 20 min repair procedure...   So I ditched adding the external power option.

I'm now just waiting for the final Consumer BIOS to be completed.   There are 3 people involved with it.  Mark, and two others and it is a GORGEOUS system...    I am going to put together a simple sneak preview and will post up when I get the all clear.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Curt Vendel said:

I've found quite a lot of the old orders, now its just getting everyone's updated info, which is a major help obviously...  I'm going to be going from confirmed definite orders and when I get through those, the ones where I can't find anything and they don't have anything, we will try to work together to dig something, anything up.... several people have said they bought others orders, but never got anything from the seller...  that's like buying a car from someone who doesn't have the registration... those people need to track down the sellers and get that info..

I did add in the Motor control line onto the SIO ports.... adding in external power is going to add more to the cost and require more time.   The XM's run fine on every 7800 we've tested... if a 7800 has a 7805 VR that is already on its way out and the XM pushes it over, there are plenty of people who can offer to do the repair, its a 20 min repair procedure...   So I ditched adding the external power option.

I'm now just waiting for the final Consumer BIOS to be completed.   There are 3 people involved with it.  Mark, and two others and it is a GORGEOUS system...    I am going to put together a simple sneak preview and will post up when I get the all clear.

No worries Curt! I know I bought direct so at least that's not a problem, but hell, if nothing can be found nothing can be found - that's on me as a buyer to keep receipts! That's what I get for leaving AA for....7 years :D Can't come back and expect everyone to just remember every transaction I ever did.

Worst case if nothing comes up I'll just snag another one :)

• Like 1

Well, I made an attempt to make a case for the 7800/XM combo, and I think the bottom part came out ok:

IMG-0172.thumb.jpg.9b55253b52110b5901149640a89f9828.jpg IMG-0173.thumb.jpg.49e512bc591a090cd04decd93dd61007.jpg

I wanted the motherboard to sit more 'flat' and have the joystick ports protrude a little to they were easy to get to.

I screwed the XM unit into the base so it doesn't move.  There are small pegs that stick up that were made to go through the small holes in the front corners of the 7800 PCB.

The top, however, I'm having trouble with.

It takes FOREVER to print (like 3 days - because of the height and supports) and I'm not crazy about how it looks.  Here is the 3D drawing of the top:

image.thumb.png.d72c498e0cc842f22ec21af9abaad778.pngimage.thumb.png.416f83cd95b5bacbd7cb83cd4468c99a.png 

image.thumb.png.a38fa0007bb8428cb5ba711318100c04.png

The outer cylinders are for the screws to go into, and the four inner ones are used to press the switches.

I used to like the sloped front, but not any more.  I may have the front of the case go straight down and then forward.  Same thing with the back.  My plan is to have a badge on the front (where you see the slope but where I intend for it to go straight down) that has something like '7800/XM' on the front.

I need to streamline this so it doesn't take up as much filament.  I've been through 4 large rolls of filament just trying to get the bottom and top just right.

Once this is done, I'd *like* to try and make a newer 7800 (only) case, for the people whose cases have cracked.  I plan on using the same base as above (without the walls that hold the XM in place) and design a new top.

Oh, and I've also made a new cart design.  I've used many bits and pieces from other designs...  I think the labels will stick better to this one:

image.thumb.png.ea98be40963a92475e3ef25f4e451c14.pngimage.thumb.png.365c3da6e5ca2d2bf6a93953e622e3e9.png 

It also fits much better in the 7800 and/or the XM.

Any ideas about the top of the case design?

Thanks guys

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 16

50 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Well, I made an attempt to make a case for the 7800/XM combo, and I think the bottom part came out ok:

IMG-0172.thumb.jpg.9b55253b52110b5901149640a89f9828.jpg IMG-0173.thumb.jpg.49e512bc591a090cd04decd93dd61007.jpg

image.thumb.png.d72c498e0cc842f22ec21af9abaad778.png

Thanks guys

Large metal bezel across the front would be super cool.

image.thumb.png.d72c498e0cc842f22ec21af9abaad778.png.8407f67257350c0210635207bcf9d4a5.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Neat idea but that is a massive case to print!

It would be neat to also see what an angled top would look like. Keep the stock bottom and 3rd print supports and a top to accommodate the added xm board. Like those custom Sega Neptunes with the built in 32x boards :) 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 5:29 PM, PacManPlus said:

I wanted the motherboard to sit more 'flat' and have the joystick ports protrude a little to they were easy to get to.

I screwed the XM unit into the base so it doesn't move.  There are small pegs that stick up that were made to go through the small holes in the front corners of the 7800 PCB.

The top, however, I'm having trouble with.

It takes FOREVER to print (like 3 days - because of the height and supports) and I'm not crazy about how it looks.  Here is the 3D drawing of the top:

image.thumb.png.d72c498e0cc842f22ec21af9abaad778.pngimage.thumb.png.416f83cd95b5bacbd7cb83cd4468c99a.png 

image.thumb.png.a38fa0007bb8428cb5ba711318100c04.png

The outer cylinders are for the screws to go into, and the four inner ones are used to press the switches.

I used to like the sloped front, but not any more.  I may have the front of the case go straight down and then forward.  Same thing with the back.  My plan is to have a badge on the front (where you see the slope but where I intend for it to go straight down) that has something like '7800/XM' on the front.

I need to streamline this so it doesn't take up as much filament.  I've been through 4 large rolls of filament just trying to get the bottom and top just right.

Once this is done, I'd *like* to try and make a newer 7800 (only) case, for the people whose cases have cracked.  I plan on using the same base as above (without the walls that hold the XM in place) and design a new top.

Oh, and I've also made a new cart design.  I've used many bits and pieces from other designs...  I think the labels will stick better to this one:

image.thumb.png.ea98be40963a92475e3ef25f4e451c14.pngimage.thumb.png.365c3da6e5ca2d2bf6a93953e622e3e9.png 

Thanks guys

That is some beast of a case Bob!!!  ?

Did you use the 7800 case files I sent you or did you create that from scratch?   The cart design looks GREAT!  We've all definitely been in need of a better 7800 cart case.

Thanks, Curt

I used some bits and pieces from the case files you sent, but I will those more for the 'plain' 7800 case redesign.

I do want to streamline the 7800/XM case as it's too bulky...

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1