IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

People should follow @mytek's model: tease a project, then go radio-silent until there's actually visible progress to announce. Don't let anyone sell anything related to it until it's done.

This.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, DrVenkman said:

People should follow @mytek's model: tease a project, then go radio-silent until there's actually visible progress to announce. Don't let anyone sell anything related to it until it's done. 

I have teased about quite few things, and not all of them have seen the light of day. I'm also a firm believer in not selling or taking money for something until the design has been locked down. But that's just how I operate, and I realize everyone marches to his or her own drummer.

• Like 7

I think the lesson to be learned here is that if you're going to do a project of this nature, it's best you have most of the development already done and ready to go. You see this happen with Kickstarter projects as well. Somebody has a grandiose plan to make some awesome product but they don't have the groundwork in place. So they get loads of interest and money, but then it fizzles out because the project ends up being more than they could chew.

It doesn't necessarily mean that it was a scam, it just means said the people proposing the project we're poorly organized and had not explored all of the challenges related to the project.

In the case of this project, I pre-ordered. I believe Curt meant well but that life and some considerable challenges got in the way. Add an unreliable project partner and the fact that a lot of the initial groundwork hadn't been put in place when pre-orders were taken, and you had a recipe for disaster. I also believe that Curt knows fully well how badly he messed this up. 

I expect I will get my XM eventually, because I believe Curt fully intended from the start to complete it. Plus, as sparse as the updates are, there has been progress... to the point now that various community programmers have test units and we know it works reliably. 

It's very easy for us to all gripe and complain about how long it's taking. And I fully understand everybody's frustration over the situation. At the same time, all of these complaints and irritation and anger have been hashed over and over and over again on these Forums. None of that has made project go any faster, or helped it towards completion. Frankly, I don't see the point of complaining at this point. It might make the person complaining feel better to vent, but it doesn't really have any purpose beyond that. We all know this thing is a mess. OK. Got it. Now what?

So I'm going to continue to wait quietly and occasionally ask for updates. Because I don't see any point in being part of the other options.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 5

Yeah, explain with more paragraphs how the buyers of a product shouldn't express disappointment with the the seller of the product.  The self-proclaimed  patient ones get upset because every few YEARS, patience wears thin, tempers flare and answers are demanded, and the people wanting accountability for their investment are basically told to sit down and shut up.

The amount of YEARS doesn't seem to trigger any light bulbs in your heads, the ridiculousness of your position.  

I would add also, you can't prove that the rowdy-ness hasn't pushed the ball forward on this project. And, you also cannot prove sitting idle and saying nothing has helped either. I think there's actually good evidence in older threads that people demanding answers have actually spurred a little bit of action, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

I would add also, you can't prove that the rowdy-ness hasn't pushed the ball forward on this project. And, you also cannot prove sitting idle and saying nothing has helped either. I think there's actually good evidence in older threads that people demanding answers have actually spurred a little bit of action, however.

This is a valid point.

As an example my Cube64 fork I started back in 2011, by the end of 2011, I was pretty much completely unmotivated from working on it for various real life reason.

I had promised various features and bug fix that I never really worked on.

Through the years I kept getting emails asking for the current status and simply ignored them, until one day in fall 2017 I got yet another of those email but somehow instead of ignoring it I decided "OK let's do this!".

I worked again on the project through out 2018 fixing all the bugs and adding all the features and finally completing the project 100% by the end of that year.

In my case no money was involved since it's a DIY project and I never sold any but still I had given my word publicly.

So I would agree that waiting patiently certainly doesn't help one bit getting things done.

Bitching about it every day won't help for sure, but bitching every few months is fair enough I think.

Edited by DarthCloud
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DarthCloud said:

This is a valid point.

As an example my Cube64 fork I started back in 2011, by the end of 2011, I was pretty much completely unmotivated from working on it for various real life reason.

I had promised various features and bug fix that I never really worked on.

Through the years I kept getting emails asking for the current status and simply ignored them, until one day in fall 2017 I got yet another of those email but somehow instead of ignoring it I decided "OK let's do this!".

I worked again on the project through out 2018 fixing all the bugs and adding all the features and finally completing the project 100% by the end of that year.

In my case no money was involved since it's a DIY project and I never sold any but still I had given my word publicly.

So I would agree that waiting patiently certainly doesn't help one bit getting things done.

Bitching about it every day won't help for sure, but bitching every few months is fair enough I think.

In the spirit of this thread, how about starting a new project to adapt the ProLine to work with standard N64 consoles? :P

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've lightly followed this thread, because I never pre-ordered so it would be awhile before I could "buy" one. 

Anyway, am I to understand that the motherboard is final, and that the lone outstanding piece is the custom BIOS, which may or may not be completed?

Edited by Greg2600

Curt is a good guy, personal life issues. I got out of the Atari scene long ago when I sold all my stuff, was sad at first but really haven’t looked back. Once or twice a year I peak in to find cool stuff, like the corvus emulator in altirra.

Life is short guys, make the best of it.

• Like 4

Since tech has changed so much since it's announcement, if something like the XM was announced today, would this be easier to build? With the rise of FPGA, Analogue and so much other retro gaming goodies (Arcade 1Up etc.), from a tech standpoint, has anything made it easier to build? Was curious about this, not to change the topic (move if need be).

• Like 1

So sad to hear this.

Perhaps Albert might consider dedicating the home page to Curt's life and accomplishments for awhile to pay homage to all the good he did while he was on this planet. Truly a great man, and one that I'm glad to have met. You will certainly be missed by many.

• Like 15