IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

10 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

As somebody who planned on buying an XM when it was finished but did not keep up with it closely, what is the status of the XM?

The XM was Curt's pet project wasn't it...? Very sad... I really was looking forward to the module being released at some point in time. It would probably be wishful thinking for the module to be released "as-is" in its current state. Very sad state of affairs indeed if the project has been let go at this point; it wouldn't be too surprising, but it would be a little sad. If they do release the XM, I think it should be labeled the "XM Legacy Module or XMLM" (or something meaningful like that) in honor of Curt Vendel himself, but that's probably more wishful thinking. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

As somebody who planned on buying an XM when it was finished but did not keep up with it closely, what is the status of the XM?

Welcome to club clueless. You and what 3 or 4 others I have zero respect for. 

Have fun standing over his grave and acting like assholes. I mistakenly thought I was among decent people on this site. I just need to stay off here altogether. Bye. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Welcome to club clueless. You and what 3 or 4 others I have zero respect for. 

Have fun standing over his grave and acting like assholes. I mistakenly thought I was among decent people on this site. I just need to stay off here altogether. Bye. 

What the hell is wrong with you? I am not bugging his wife, daughter, or any close friends trying to find out about the XM. I asked on a thread dedicated to the XM because I figured somebody on the thread would know the details. You need to chill out.

• Like 7

Sigh.

Curt's last status update on the XM was that the hardware was complete, the developer BIOS was complete, the consumer BIOS was close to complete and was in testing. He was working on the manual.

I think we need to give the XM questions a rest for a little while.

Mitch

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

On 9/8/2020 at 1:24 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

I sincerely hope this gets released eventually.   Curt threw his life energy into this.  I know it'll take awhile yet ... 

Personally I think it is insensitive and just in bad character for people to ask (not meaning you) about what is going on with the project now that Curt has passed. I do agree the main post title should be adjusted so that people just do not see "XM has shipped" and post something not realizing what has happened. People need to be aware, and they need to wait until official news of the project direction from the people who are now in control of it provide it.

In my personal opinion though, I do completely agree that it should be released....it must be released now. If not for anything more than to be a lasting mark on Curt's love and dedication for this thing and how much he wanted it to become a reality. And when/if that day happens it should be boldly dedicated to him and that work, etched into the brushed metal on the casing of the XM.

At least that is my opinion. We lost a really good guy here and his work really needs to be acknowledged.

• Like 6

Perhaps a mod ( @Mitch, @CPUWIZ, @Albert) might lock this thread, maybe with a change to the subject line. The other sub-forums have “RIP Curt” tribute threads. Maybe posts from the last 10 days or so can be sliced off and moved to that one - don’t know if the forum software allows that. Maybe a new XM Status post might be made summarizing things, based on Marty’s last post, perhaps with input from the few guys here who had been helping. Pin that one at the top of the forum and if/when new folks wander in asking about the XM, people could point them to the new status post. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, tep392 said:

I agree with locking this thread.  If/when we are ready to talk about the XM's future, a new thread can be started.

If I may make a suggestion?  Create that new XM thread in conjunction with closing this one, simultaneously.  People are always going to have questions and look for an update, now or in the future, and 1 single new thread might help prevent a dozen new separate ones, all asking the same or similar info.

3 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

If I may make a suggestion?  Create that new XM thread in conjunction with closing this one, simultaneously.  People are always going to have questions and look for an update, now or in the future, and 1 single new thread might help prevent a dozen new separate ones, all asking the same or similar info.

Fair suggestion except there's no point person(s) to headline such a thread, besides Marty, who's plate is beyond full at this time.  I think @tep392 is right on waiting for the project to truly be in new hands before continuing a discussion.  Plus there's potentially some news to follow from devs like PMP who have been writing software for XM in their own threads.

Edited by Greg2600

2 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Fair suggestion except there's no point person(s) to headline such a thread, besides Marty, who's plate is beyond full at this time.  I think @tep392 is right on waiting for the project to truly be in new hands before continuing a discussion.  Plus there's potentially some news to follow from devs like PMP who have been writing software for XM in their own threads.

Understood.  Makes sense.

• Like 1

I've put some thought into what it is going to take to finish this and it will be a challenge, even with the design finalized.  I've sent a brief note to Marty and will reach out to him again when the time is right.  I'm sure his plate is full right now.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I've put some thought into what it is going to take to finish this and it will be a challenge, even with the design finalized.  I've sent a brief note to Marty and will reach out to him again when the time is right.  I'm sure his plate is full right now.

If you can do this, that would be AMAZING. On my side, I can definitely help out with the book as I'm super versed in ATARI history and have written extensively in the past.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 7:00 AM, DrVenkman said:

Couldn’t that question be asked in a week or two, after the body is cold and in the ground and his wife and young daughter have had at least a week or two to grieve? 

"After the body is cold?" really? Now that is a pretty cold statement.

I agree, this needs to be locked, and a new thread needs to be started by and when the folks involved have a plan, if it even continues, and I'm sure nobody needs to bother any of them until they are ready.

I second the dedication to Curt.

Anyhoo, I'd be willing to help out with the manual... I really want to see the XM completed.