Curt Vendel

XM has shipped!

6 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Thanks ... I am just blown away hearing it on real hardware.  Guess I'd better work up some more demos?  😁

I might also write up a primer on FM synthesis while I am at it.

If only mere humans (without a Dev Cart or one of the handful of Concertos and CC2’s) could do the same. :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Thanks ... I am just blown away hearing it on real hardware.  Guess I'd better work up some more demos?  😁

I might also write up a primer on FM synthesis while I am at it.

I think both more demos, and an FM synthesis primer, would be wonderful. :)

• Like 2

Yes. It's emulated in the expected arcade games, as well as in the a7800 driver if you insert an "xm" device. (same as the a7800 emulator, which comes from MAME)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:46 AM, Curt Vendel said:

Boards arrived and I'm building all 5 at the same time.  I will be shipping these out on Monday and will post up where they are going to.

These are shipping to fill pre-orders now or are these more dev boards shipments?

Edited by Tidus79001

12 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

These are shipping to fill pre-orders now or are these more dev boards shipments?

Only shipping to Devs at this point...  not much sense for everyone to have XMs when there are only a few games that use just some of its features.

Now the coders can work on XM specific games now that the real hardware is ready

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's RAM, and it's banked at $4000 and $6000. That much we know. It will clash if you try to enable it with any formats that try to use the $4000 address space, like 48k roms. I'll put some warnings into 7800basic, so people have less of a chance of shooting themselves in the foot. There will likely be related updates to a7800 too.

Dennis Debro had questions about it's usage earlier, but we don't yet have the answers. I made some speculations a few posts below his, which I can confirm once I have a unit in my hands. Anything I learn will be shared at my wiki.  I'll be glad to be beat by official docs, but I'm sure XM team has their hands full with birthing this thing, and with everyday life.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 3:28 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

So my next piece... is theme music for my WIP game Sky Scraper 2115.

@RevEng:  Will any of the current bankswitch schemes work with the 128k memory of the XM?  Also is the 128k on the XM RAM or ROM?

For Donkey Kong Remix I'm going to be using CPUWIZ's board with fixed ROM at $C000 and banked ROM at $8000.  I'll be using the XM RAM at $4000 for display lists, screen RAM and variable storage.  You could also copy data/code from cart ROM banks into RAM banks at $4000 or $6000 at game setup time.  

• Like 5

For direct usage, I don't think so. Those aren't pattern based, and just time-coded dumps of register updates to the soundchips, so it would be a very expansive format to use. Also, there likely a lot of instrument changes and other extra data being thrown at the YM2151 in those, and we don't have a dedicated chip to manage the soundchips.

Something like x68000 MDX files might be more useful since they have more structure in them, being MML based, but without actually looking into it I have a feeling those also might be too free-form.