Curt Vendel

XM has shipped!

5 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

Is this the end of the XM?

Aside from Jay's response, is this an insensitive question?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

Not really, it is a question that would have to be asked at some point.

Couldn’t that question be asked in a week or two, after the body is cold and in the ground and his wife and young daughter have had at least a week or two to grieve? 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

Not really, it is a question that would have to be asked at some point.

So how are you willing to help? By keeping your yap closed and waiting until there is news on this possibly?  You think this atari junk is important to his family right now??  Like somehow it is the number one priority when they lost a father and husband not even one week ago?? It amazes me how inconsiderate people can be. But but but my internet online said blah blah I want answers now.. NO shut up!! Nobody has the right to ask for anything. 

12 hours ago, RevEng said:

Raising a glass to Curt tonight, and listening with amusement to him ranting about modern Atari shenanigans, and talk about his various projects including XM. Rest well, Curt. 🍺

Thanks for posting.  I found it funny and quite insightful in many ways, the man totally lived for Atari.  Obviously it was very sad too, as Curt was super pumped for the project.  We must give the family all the time they need, however, just going by Curt's name dropping (in interview) there are several AA stalwarts who I'm sure will get this item delivered.  If nothing else, because it meant the world to him.

• Like 5

The original poster didn't mean anything by it. Sometimes you have to take a look at the person. It was an innocent question. Let it go. Anything else just adds unneeded clutter.

Edited to clarify that I was referring to the "end of the XM" question. Greg2600 squeezed in a response to a different post in the meantime :)

Edited by cvga
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Thanks for posting.  I found it funny and quite insightful in many ways, the man totally lived for Atari.  Obviously it was very sad too, as Curt was super pumped for the project.  We must give the family all the time they need, however, just going by Curt's name dropping (in interview) there are several AA stalwarts who I'm sure will get this item delivered.  If nothing else, because it meant the world to him.

You're totally welcome. I was about a third of the way into the podcast when I posted here. It was a while later that Curt started calling out AA names, and was I surprised to hear my own name mentioned a couple times. Really I'm a late-comer to the XM effort, and have only invested time for creation of developer tools and code, but Curt was generous when it came to praise, recognition, and enthusiasm.

Completely agreed that we need to give family and friends time to grieve, before anyone even takes stock of the project. With Marty's eventual involvement, there's certainly some reason for hope. But there's no point to anybody here asking for project status, because nobody knows.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Couldn’t that question be asked in a week or two, after the body is cold and in the ground and his wife and young daughter have had at least a week or two to grieve? 

Yes, absolutely. I'm not going to lambast a guy for asking something that would eventually be asked though. Inevitably, the first person to ask the question is going to be attacked as insensitive, I don't think that's fair.

1 hour ago, Jinks said:

So how are you willing to help? By keeping your yap closed and waiting until there is news on this possibly?  You think this atari junk is important to his family right now??  Like somehow it is the number one priority when they lost a father and husband not even one week ago?? It amazes me how inconsiderate people can be. But but but my internet online said blah blah I want answers now.. NO shut up!! Nobody has the right to ask for anything. 

I didn't ask about the status of the XM. I expect nothing further from this project. If you're that upset, at least direct your angry post at the correct person.

As somebody who planned on buying an XM when it was finished but did not keep up with it closely, what is the status of the XM?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, jeremiahjt said:

As somebody who planned on buying an XM when it was finished but did not keep up with it closely, what is the status of the XM?

On 9/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, Retro Rogue said:

Regarding the XM, I was not involved directly with that but I will be including that in the list of things I have to be going through and seeing what I could do to keep moving it forward. I do know that any and all money went towards the tooling for the cases early on, so he anybody else brought in was basically doing their work for nothing all this time out of the pure love for it and to see it finished. So anybody I can try and work with to finish this up would have to be working on it out of that same respect, and possible future sales. But none of this is my expertise, my work on Curt’s projects has always been in software, waiting,  graphic arts and marketing.

Right now everything is just under lockdown and completely in stasis and safe, while the family deals with his upcoming funeral and immediate aftermath of his sudden death.

1 minute ago, jaybird3rd said:

I saw that, I just thought there might have been some people who were keeping up with it that knew what was going on.

10 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

The XM was Curt's pet project wasn't it...? Very sad... I really was looking forward to the module being released at some point in time. It would probably be wishful thinking for the module to be released "as-is" in its current state. Very sad state of affairs indeed if the project has been let go at this point; it wouldn't be too surprising, but it would be a little sad. If they do release the XM, I think it should be labeled the "XM Legacy Module or XMLM" (or something meaningful like that) in honor of Curt Vendel himself, but that's probably more wishful thinking. 😥

11 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Welcome to club clueless. You and what 3 or 4 others I have zero respect for. 

Have fun standing over his grave and acting like assholes. I mistakenly thought I was among decent people on this site. I just need to stay off here altogether. Bye. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Welcome to club clueless. You and what 3 or 4 others I have zero respect for. 

Have fun standing over his grave and acting like assholes. I mistakenly thought I was among decent people on this site. I just need to stay off here altogether. Bye. 

What the hell is wrong with you? I am not bugging his wife, daughter, or any close friends trying to find out about the XM. I asked on a thread dedicated to the XM because I figured somebody on the thread would know the details. You need to chill out.

• Like 7

I didn’t know Curt, but I can’t imagine he would have wanted this thread to have devolved into a squabble over decorum, or to have caused the departure of any member.

• Like 4

Sigh.

Curt's last status update on the XM was that the hardware was complete, the developer BIOS was complete, the consumer BIOS was close to complete and was in testing. He was working on the manual.

I think we need to give the XM questions a rest for a little while.

Mitch

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

I sincerely hope this gets released eventually.   Curt threw his life energy into this.  I know it'll take awhile yet ... 

• Like 7

On 9/8/2020 at 1:24 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

I sincerely hope this gets released eventually.   Curt threw his life energy into this.  I know it'll take awhile yet ... 

Personally I think it is insensitive and just in bad character for people to ask (not meaning you) about what is going on with the project now that Curt has passed. I do agree the main post title should be adjusted so that people just do not see "XM has shipped" and post something not realizing what has happened. People need to be aware, and they need to wait until official news of the project direction from the people who are now in control of it provide it.

In my personal opinion though, I do completely agree that it should be released....it must be released now. If not for anything more than to be a lasting mark on Curt's love and dedication for this thing and how much he wanted it to become a reality. And when/if that day happens it should be boldly dedicated to him and that work, etched into the brushed metal on the casing of the XM.

At least that is my opinion. We lost a really good guy here and his work really needs to be acknowledged.

• Like 6

Perhaps a mod ( @Mitch, @CPUWIZ, @Albert) might lock this thread, maybe with a change to the subject line. The other sub-forums have “RIP Curt” tribute threads. Maybe posts from the last 10 days or so can be sliced off and moved to that one - don’t know if the forum software allows that. Maybe a new XM Status post might be made summarizing things, based on Marty’s last post, perhaps with input from the few guys here who had been helping. Pin that one at the top of the forum and if/when new folks wander in asking about the XM, people could point them to the new status post. 

• Like 7

I agree with locking this thread.  If/when we are ready to talk about the XM's future, a new thread can be started.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tep392 said:

I agree with locking this thread.  If/when we are ready to talk about the XM's future, a new thread can be started.

If I may make a suggestion?  Create that new XM thread in conjunction with closing this one, simultaneously.  People are always going to have questions and look for an update, now or in the future, and 1 single new thread might help prevent a dozen new separate ones, all asking the same or similar info.

If this thread is locked but stays pinned with the last message explaining the situation, then that should suffice, I would think.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

If I may make a suggestion?  Create that new XM thread in conjunction with closing this one, simultaneously.  People are always going to have questions and look for an update, now or in the future, and 1 single new thread might help prevent a dozen new separate ones, all asking the same or similar info.

Fair suggestion except there's no point person(s) to headline such a thread, besides Marty, who's plate is beyond full at this time.  I think @tep392 is right on waiting for the project to truly be in new hands before continuing a discussion.  Plus there's potentially some news to follow from devs like PMP who have been writing software for XM in their own threads.

Edited by Greg2600