IGNORED

What console would you keep if you were allowed only one?

bluejay

Let's say there's an earthquake. Your whole city is collapsing, and you have time to take only one console/computer and 5 games. You have to live with that console/games with the rest of your life. What would they be? BTW, this computer can't be your modern one where you can just download a bunch of emulators and games. Only one system, and games designed specifically to be run on that system. Mine would be the SNES, with Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, Earthbound, and Super Mario RPG. I think I'll need a bunch of long RPGs to stay alive!

Does the Twin Famicom count? If so, I would choose that with Mario 2JP, Mario 3, Tetris, Yie Ar Kung Fu, And 3-D Hot Rally. Plus you can get Family BASIC so you kind of have a retro computer too. 

Edited by Magmavision2000
Didn't see the five games part

Super A'can, no doubt about it. ??

(So I could hurl it directly into one of the chasms created by this massive earthquake, like the One Ring into Mt. Doom. Yeah, that'd be sweet.)

Ah... but in all seriousness: The Super Nintendo, with Tetris Attack and Earthbound. And that's it, I don't even need another three.

And that's saying something, because the Sega Genesis is abso-Scoobly my favorite game console of them all. But it doesn't have Tetris Attack or Earthbound. And that would be a problem.

Edited by DeathAdderSF

1 hour ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Does the Twin Famicom count? If so, I would choose that with Mario 2JP, Mario 3, Tetris, Yie Ar Kung Fu, And 3-D Hot Rally. Plus you can get Family BASIC so you kind of have a retro computer too. 

Well, it's one console XD!

I love my A8, but:

Dreamcast (as long as I can keep the kids away from it; they’ve already broken one):

-Shenmue, so I can shop at Tomato convenience stores and move boxes for the rest of my life;

-Jet Grind Radio;

-Half-Life

-Samba de Amigo

-Rez. Or Seaman, since I’d finally have time to nurture the damned thing.

I also considered the NES only because I want to land my plane in Top Gun... And if I have to play it forever, pretty sure I can land once at least! Also because of the 2 Zelda games. I never played them seriously because I didn't have a copy and I just hate emulators for no reason.

24 minutes ago, bluejay said:

I just hate emulators for no reason.

"Hate" is such a strong word.

I'm only keen on emulation for research & development purposes. For strictly playing and enjoying the games, I'm a purist so that means real, authentic hardware or nothing. So I understand and support your preference for the real deal. Good on ya, broski.

Edited by DeathAdderSF

In terms of consoles, it would be my PS 2, no question.

In terms of games, it would be a tough choice between the various Classic game compilations for that system and the many RPGs that I have not yet played. :ponder:

40 minutes ago, DeathAdderSF said:

"Hate" is such a strong word.

I'm only keen on emulation for research & development purposes. For strictly playing and enjoying the games, I'm a purist so that means real, authentic hardware or nothing. So I understand and support your preference for the real deal. Good on ya, broski.

I use emulation mostly for trying before buying a game, or if it's an arcade game or absurdly expensive, or if I don't own the system.

I read the rules but what happens if my only console is an Intel NUC packed with emulators? Can I still take it? It's pretty small. Smaller than most laptops. All the wires are in back and would unplug instantly if I ripped the summabitch away. And I wouldn't have to download any emulators later because they are already there now.

Potentially it would even be a lifesaver because I wouldn't have sit there lollygagging about what to take and what to leave behind. RRRrrrrriiiippppppppp... and it's all coming babycakes!

• Like 1

In the scenario described- nothing. If I had time, I might grab my childhood Lollipup plush, but considering he's on top of a shelf, I might not be able to get to him if that part of the room's collapsed already. Either way, I'm gonna be a lot more concerned with getting the dog & the cat!

I am curious, though- the age I am now would suggest I should live another 30-60 years. What sort of apocalypse has set in that I can access a working television & the electricity to run this theoretical console, but not allow me to acquire new ones or other games? (Yes, I am aware that I'm missing the point!)

• Like 2

The idea of having only five games for the rest of my life kinda kills it for me.  Even if they were the best five ever, eventually I'd have the itch for something else. 

Even a Nintendo mini console would get me 20-30 games.  If you sent me on a one-way trip to Mars with one of those, I think I'd be set.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

ugh- the age I am now would suggest I should live another 30-60 years. What sort of apocalypse has set in that I can access a working television & the electricity to run this theoretical console, but not allow me to acquire new ones or other games? (Yes, I am aware that I'm missing the point!)

Well I don't know the exact type of apocalypse that would let one have TV & 'tricity but not downloads. But consider this. Electricity was invented by Thomas Edison in 1880 and it took 100 years to get to where we could download WaReZ and games. So absolutely yes! You can have abundant electric power and no ability to get new games.

Edited by Keatah
  • Haha 1

Hi guys,

Tough choices for me on saving just one. The big three would be my NES, Super NES, or Colecovision. They were in the collection since elementary school. I would try to rescue all three if i could. I would like to say Neo-Geo AES, but that was much later on during college years. :)

Anthony...

Only one console, huh? Would have to be the system of Pro's of course!  

Cartridges I'd take are: Harmony Encore with loaded SD cart (yeah, I cheated there, but it is only one cart!), Pac-Man Collection, Baby Pac-Man, Donkey Kong PK and Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest.   :grin:

158B58FC-4DF5-4D47-B725-343810B274E9.jpeg

It's not that had a question to understand, really.  What system has 5 games you think are the most fun and replayable if you have to choose?  It's not easy to choose, but it's not hard to get the gist of the question.  Just like any "desert island choice" question, the spirit of it is making you pick favorites with certain constraints.  Emulators and compilations - while great for what they offer - aren't usually in the spirit of the question.  So, rant aside...

I'd be tempted to go 2600 (Demon Attack, Enduro, Megamania, Adventure, Star Raiders)

I'd be tempted to go 7800 (Pac Man Collection, Food Fight, Joust, Crossbow, Dig Dug)

I'd be tempted to go Intellivision (AD&D Cooudy Mountain, AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, Dracula, Space Hawk, Utopia)

I'd be tempted to go NES (SMB3, Wizardry, Donkey Kong, RC Pro Am, CastleVania III)

But I think I have to go Genesis...

• Thunderforce 3
  • CastleVania Bloodlines
  • Master of Monsters
  • Star Control
  • 6 Pak (kind of cheating as it's a compilation, but it was a native release, not emulated collection) - there are dozens of other Genny games I could swap it for.  Probably Columns just for something different and infinitely replayable, maybe Tetris.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Can I count my MiSTer setup, with one "game" being my SD card? :lol:

If not, the Genesis. It's the only console that I could emulate in a tiny PC that I choose to keep real hardware anyway. 

The 6-pack

Shining Force II

Streets of Rage II - I know the first one is the the 6-pack, but 2 is so good

Phantasy Star IV

Super Street Fighter II

A couple amazing RPGs, a couple action titles, and the best fighting game of the 16-bit era. 

Edit: I might get more replayability out of the SNES, though:

Super Mario All Stars + SMWorld

Final Fantasy III

Super Street Fighter II (still gotta have it)

Chrono Trigger

Donkey Kong Country

Two of the best RPGs ever and a ton of great platforming games. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

Having so many people choosing multicarts and SD cards, fine, you can include them, but you can't just choose the entire library

19 hours ago, Keatah said:

Well I don't know the exact type of apocalypse that would let one have TV & 'tricity but not downloads. But consider this. Electricity was invented by Thomas Edison in 1880 and it took 100 years to get to where we could download WaReZ and games. So absolutely yes! You can have abundant electric power and no ability to get new games.

You have a point... Let's say you have a backpack sized high tech battery that uses sunlight to charge, and a small lcd screen instead of a big-ass crt.