IGNORED

1 vs 1 Pro Tennis FINAL

easmith

On 3/1/2020 at 9:56 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

The label looks amazing! Hope you're not leaving us and just taking a break?

Still checking in.  Taking a break from making games though  .  I can get a bit obsessive ,not only with programming , but also with checking the forums.   

Need to try to take a mental health break .  I have an idea rolling around for a new game already though .....?

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This game has always bothered me in that while I really like the gameplay , and also  the  nuances that are not available in other tennis games on the system ( like enhanced shot control) ,    I was just never really happy with the amount of flicker on the court  sidelines and felt this game was not up to standards  .   At the time I was making it , I  was focused on having the court have smooth sidelines and detailed service lines .

This resulted in some pretty major flicker for the sidelines .  I convinced myself at the time it was not too bad , but after playing it again recently , it seemed almost seizure inducing .    So I have reworked it a bit .  I sacrificed the smooth court lines for no court flicker . Also made the ball yellow and got rid of the Hmove lines

I still might catch a bug or two and tweak a bit but I am much happier for now with this version.

Instructions are below .   Worth reading and practicing the different shots.

The AI opponent is quite difficult to beat but with practice it can be done !

1 vs 1 Pro Tennis

1 Player or 2 Players

Switches: Difficulty switches: Not used

TV Type : Not used

Reset resets to Title Screen

Holding down select will cycle through game options only in Title Screen.

Game 1: 1 Player clay court

Game 2 : 1 Player grass court

Game 3 : 2 Player clay court

Game 4 : 2 Player grass court

P0 controls BLUE player in all games On grass court, ball occasionally takes erratic bounce Press Button to start Game CONTROLS. SERVE: -- Press button to serve ball. You also control when the AI ( black shirt player)  serves by pressing button.
When serving at bottom there are 2 serves:

1. Push joystick toward center line to serve down middle. Needs to be pressed at moment of contact with ball not just when pressing button.
2. Button only , or button plus toward sideline will put serve regular

When serving at top there are 3 serves:
1. Push joystick toward center line to serve down middle. Needs to be pressed at moment of contact with ball not just when pressing button.
2. Button only will serve regular
3. Push joystick toward sideline to serve wide . This option can result in an ACE, but can also result in a FAULT. This is the only serve that can fault.
Double fault will result in point for opponent
AFTER SERVE -- To hit ball, you just need to move player to contact the ball IF the button is pressed at the moment of / immediately after contact , you will hit a fast shot . * Can only hit fast shot off bounce ( not while ball is in air unless lob shot ) IF the button is not pressed at the moment of contact , you will hit a slow shot.

Immediately AFTER contact ( within 4 frames so does not have to be before since this will cause player to change direction) , joystick movement will control placement of shot : SO if you are bottom player no movement will place ball in middle of opposite court . up right will place ball at back right of opposite court right / down right will place ball at lower right of opposite court left/ down left will place ball at lower left of opposing court etc .

Pressing up will back the opponent up to baseline since your shot will go to baseline . Pressing down will do a lob shot which can go over opponent. If button is pressed, this will prevent the player from inadvertently moving up or down while attempting the lob. Controls are opposite if you are top player.

There are 3 sets . First player to win 6 games wins the set. Do not have to win by 2 games.

First player to win 2 out of 3 sets wins the match.

Tips:

1. Try to hit fast shot into corners near baseline when opponent is on opposite side.

2. You can lob the shot over opponent to get them off the net.

3. Approach the net when you are bottom player, as this can increase your chances of getting your shot by your opponent.

4. Hit “through the ball” in the direction you want the ball to travel

5. Set up winners by hitting to one side and then going back cross-court .

6. Practice Makes Perfect

Edited by easmith
  • Like 10

• 2 years later...

Once again I have returned to this old game , still not satisfied with the graphics , specifically the flickering court / net.

Incarnation 1 had a flickering court. Incarnation 2 had a flickering net with the intent to have the net a different color than the court lines.

This time I just made the net and the lines white with no flicker.  It is better in my opinion .    Should have just done this the first time....

Again , the game is difficult to master but with practice you can beat the AI opponent.  Very hard with keyboard .  The main difference between other tennis games is that you can control the direction and speed of your shot.  Hold button for hard hit , and move joystick in the direction you want the ball to go as you are making contact with the ball.    Here again are  controls:

1 vs 1 Pro Tennis

1 Player or 2 Players

Switches: Difficulty switches: Not used

TV Type : Not used

Reset resets to Title Screen

Holding down select will cycle through game options only in Title Screen.

Game 1: 1 Player grass court

Game 2 : 1 Player clay court

Game 3 : 2 Player grass court

Game 4 : 2 Player clay court

P0 controls BLUE player in all games On grass court, ball occasionally takes erratic bounce Press Button to start Game CONTROLS. SERVE: -- Press button to serve ball. You also control when the AI ( black shirt player)  serves by pressing button.
When serving at bottom there are 2 serves:

2. Button only , or button plus toward sideline will put serve regular

When serving at top there are 3 serves:
2. Button only will serve regular
3. Push joystick toward sideline to serve wide . This option can result in an ACE, but can also result in a FAULT. This is the only serve that can fault.
Double fault will result in point for opponent
AFTER SERVE -- To hit ball, you just need to move player to contact the ball IF the button is pressed at the moment of / immediately after contact , you will hit a fast shot . * Can only hit fast shot off bounce ( not while ball is in air unless lob shot ) IF the button is not pressed at the moment of contact , you will hit a slow shot.

Immediately AFTER contact ( within 4 frames so does not have to be before since this will cause player to change direction) , joystick movement will control placement of shot : SO if you are bottom player no movement will place ball in middle of opposite court . up right will place ball at back right of opposite court right / down right will place ball at lower right of opposite court left/ down left will place ball at lower left of opposing court etc .

Pressing up will back the opponent up to baseline since your shot will go to baseline . Pressing down will do a lob shot which can go over opponent. If button is pressed, this will prevent the player from inadvertently moving up or down while attempting the lob. Controls are opposite if you are top player.

There are 3 sets . First player to win 6 games wins the set. Do not have to win by 2 games.

First player to win 2 out of 3 sets wins the match.

Tips:

1. Try to hit fast shot into corners near baseline when opponent is on opposite side.

2. You can lob a shot  to get opponent   off the net.

3. Approach the net when you are bottom player, as this can increase your chances of getting your shot by your opponent.

4. Hit “through the ball” in the direction you want the ball to travel

5. Set up winners by hitting to one side and then going back cross-court .

6. Practice Makes Perfect

protennis_24.bin

Edited by easmith
  • Like 6

there are a few sacrifices that would require. The ball would have to be white and the shadow would take on the player colors when on same line.  There also would be some “dead space “ during the repositioning routine in the net area where the ball and shadow would be lost to view . 

But yes the sprite flicker is not ideal . but it is much less noticeable than net and sideline/ baseline flicker was .

1 hour ago, splendidnut said:

Now all you need to do is eliminate the sprite flicker: split your kernel in two (top and bottom) and add some mid-screen repositioning code.

I actually just looked at the kernel code  . It has been 2 and a half years since I have revisited the game. There might be some solutions to these issues yet . I will see what I can do

• Like 3

1 hour ago, easmith said:

The ball would have to be white and the shadow would take on the player colors when on same line.  

The former is totally fine, IMO. And the latter seems acceptable.

There also would be some “dead space “ during the repositioning routine in the net area where the ball and shadow would be lost to view . 

There is not much happening in the net area. Repositioning and drawing the ball seems very possible.

But yes the sprite flicker is not ideal . but it is much less noticeable than net and sideline/ baseline flicker was .

Maybe have a look at Realsport Tennis?

I think I have a working solution to the kernel issues.  But a lot of logic needs to be adjusted now to match the new display and it has been a long time since i have looked at the code. So that is the issue now ( i think )