IGNORED

Model III spotted in TV ad

jhd

There is a new TV commercial for some Epson(?) printer that has recently started airing. I do not recognize the pitchman, but I think that he is a former (American) football player. 

More to the point, there is a clear shot of what looks like a Model III (with no disk drives) as an example of obsolete technology, along with a manual typewriter. 

Has anyone else seen this ad? It has been running for at least the past week, though there is a shorter version without the old hardware.  

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, his name is Shaquille O'Neal, or just "Shaq" is good enough and anyone would know who you're referring to, and his claim to fame is basketball, but he's done much more, musician, actor, and  his doctoral degree in education from Barry University. 

He's also done a ton of product endorsements, including the recent one that has a Radio Shack Model III in the ad.  It looks like a diskless workstation perhaps, or a Model III with no drives.... pretty rare as most had at least 1 drive.

fwxisevqos541.thumb.jpg.f204e08cab58e1a3d806478f2c237a04.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, John_L said:

Heh, his name is Shaquille O'Neal, or just "Shaq" is good enough and anyone would know who you're referring to, and his claim to fame is basketball, but he's done much more, musician, actor, and  his doctoral degree in education from Barry University. 

He's also done a ton of product endorsements, including the recent one that has a Radio Shack Model III in the ad.  It looks like a diskless workstation perhaps, or a Model III with no drives.... pretty rare as most had at least 1 drive.

fwxisevqos541.thumb.jpg.f204e08cab58e1a3d806478f2c237a04.jpg

Don't forget Shaq-Fu! :P

I saw that commercial. Interesting that they blacked out the Radio Shack and TRS-80 labeling, although I guess not surprising.

Yeah, I noticed the label looked a bit funky... like it was blacked out.  Not like Model IIIs are even a thing anymore, and oddly, why dig up a vintage computer, that, honestly, worked great with Epson printers back in the day, but I don't think modern Epsons will even connect to a Model III because you need a Centronics or 5 pin din serial port to connect a Model III...

• Like 1