IGNORED

SAP Conversions

Xuel

18 minutes ago, David.L. said:

Dragonstomper

you are the KING!!!!!!

you just made my day :)

thank you very very much

His name is Xuel, the dragonstomper bit is our ranking system based on old games..

Just in case you wanted to contact him again, a search would find a million and one dragonstompers :)

Paul..

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, miker said:

No, no. It was taken from disks published by @Plastron some day and I suppose it's Richard Munns' job. Just I found nowhere such an info...

Here you go:

v8x.zip

The FastBasic version occasionally takes longer than a frame to update. This means it can't be easily be converted to a TYPE-B SAP for the following reason: The ASAP player interrupts the emulated 6502 every frame regardless of whether the last call to the player has returned or not.

So, I translated the FastBasic code to straight assembly, pulling my hair out locating mistakes, and then converted that to SAP. I verified it produces an identical trace of POKEY writes to the original except for 4 extra writes to AUDF1 which I didn't bother to track down since they are just repeats of a prior write with the same value. Odd though...

The attached .xex and .sap have no glitches. The player is quite efficient when translated to assembly. It appears to average around 2-3 scanlines per frame of computation.

I'm fascinated that someone wrote the original in Atari BASIC given that it can't play at full speed. Maybe it was intended for upgraded 8Mhz machines?

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @Xuel! I'll add it to ASMA repository shortly.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:55 AM, Xuel said:

I'm fascinated that someone wrote the original in Atari BASIC given that it can't play at full speed. Maybe it was intended for upgraded 8Mhz machines?

Rather it was some kind of temporary container of previously composed piece before it was converted into assembly just like you did above. 

Could it be, @RAM? :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 5:51 PM, Plastron said:

Richard wrote all his stuff in fast basic we then coded it in ASM 

Richard is part of our Atari heritage and we did not have too many composers back in the day that anyone would know by name, especially those that would mainly/solely focus on POKEY. If only he would check out RMT and started composing again. ?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, pseudografx said:

Richard is part of our Atari heritage and we did not have too many composers back in the day that anyone would know by name, especially those that would mainly/solely focus on POKEY. If only he would check out RMT and started composing again. ?

He is super talented at both music and graphics to this day i still think the graphic in Plastron that he did show what the 8-Bit could do with a little effort.  

• Like 2