IGNORED

WYSIWYG word processor in the latter 80s

jedimatt42

I distinctly recall working on a paper for school with my 4A and a then new, WYSIWYG word processor. It crashed at 2AM, so I got out my Mother's type-writer and retyped my copy. 

Anyone recall what that program might have been called?

I remember this experience distinctly, and a follow up in college, where my tech-writing teacher wondered why I was writing my copy out by hand. I had good reason.

-M@

Sparkdrummer is the guy to ask about that.  I only remember names of some program like Printers Apprentice, Page Pro 99, but do not recall if any of them were WYSISYG.   Did you have a Geneve at the time?   Either way, I think there is going to be a resurgence of interest in printing programs now the PI.PIO is with us.

10 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

It might have been First Draft. . .

Was First Draft a Databiotics product?  If so, someone may have posted the source code for it in the last year or so. I don't know if I ever saw that program in action.

Press would have been a WYSIWYG had the finished version been released for the TI-99/4A.  There was The Printer's Apprentice which was a MDOS program, and there was also Gentri.  Gentri I did not recall being a WYSIWYG word processor, and TPA I would not have considered it a program to be writing any kind of multiple page tech document.

Outside of that, I do not know what else there would be...…..

Beery

I believe Page Pro is the only WYSIWYG that we TIers have. 
I wanted to do some pages with Desk Top Publisher but the funky image format stops me, it’s not compatible with any other graphic programs. 
I believe First Draft/Final Copy was done by Art Byers, it is not WYSIWYG. 

10 minutes ago, sparkdrummer said:

I believe Page Pro is the only WYSIWYG that we TIers have. 
I wanted to do some pages with Desk Top Publisher but the funky image format stops me, it’s not compatible with any other graphic programs. 
I believe First Draft/Final Copy was done by Art Byers, it is not WYSIWYG. 

Is Page Pro more for flyers, or would it be usable for writing technical papers, etc of multiple page length?

54 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Is Page Pro more for flyers, or would it be usable for writing technical papers, etc of multiple page length?

I remember using Page Pro for the cover pages of term papers in college, but I still used TI-Writer for the papers themselves, so if memory serves, I think you're right.

Back in those days, I was still printing graphics (RLE's) up separately, and pasting them into documents, then using whiteout to hide the edges before photocopying.  It's amazing how far we've come.  Once I went to the PC and found AmiPRO there was no going back.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it loaded from disk, had very smooth 80 column scrolling (vs tabbing to the sides like TI Writer), then it could have been Writer Ease by Galen Read. It was a CorComp product and well written for the time. However, I seem to recall it would sometimes hang-up on with the spell check option.

• Like 1