IGNORED

Arcade1up reveals Colecovision Micro Console

Rev

I'm guessing that little enclosure is a prototype, since it has no stickers on it. The controllers are oriented on the wrong side, and the ball knobs are, well, funny. You can tell the guy who made this has never seen a real ColecoVision console.  :P 

This is really misleading. Like Nintendo is actually going to allow Donkey Kong to run on this thing. Yeah, right.  :lol: 

Also, regardless of the game selection, who's going to want to play this on that little TV replica? Am I supposed to put this little TV on a high shelf and play standing up? 'Cause I need two hands to use the Coleco controller, and I don't have a third hand to hold up that little TV next to my face.

Yeah, I dunno what that thing is supposed to be. Those Coleco trademark squatting douchebags have nothing but paper on the name, so none of the IP or design has anything to do with them, but if they get a penny for use of the name, I'm not interested. Besides, why are they showing NES DK on the thing. Just a big, huh?

Edited by JBerel

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

It's not colecovision donkey kong.  Looks like the nes version.  Does nintendo no longer license to third parties?

I watched some of the other 1Up videos and they say things like "pending licensor approval" a lot since they need permission from IP holders. 

Colecovision stuff is on the 2019 AtGames Legends Flashback mini-console, too. Zaxxon, Frenzy, Cosmic Avenger, PepperII -- the kind of things that were on the 2014 Colecovision Flashback. 

Atgames may not care about proper licensing, Arcade1up might be different.  For sure this is early prototype stuff, but you still can't infringe copyrights.

Anyone know who's version of baseball is on their mini intellivision?  It's not any that were on intellivision.

Edited by mr_me

It's all interesting to be sure. I'm oddly curious about the back end license wrangling, but I'd be very disappointed to hear if anyone is paying royalties to scum bag trademark squatters in any way. Games will most likely be licensed as required, but much of that goes to the original IP holders themselves. Near as I can tell, those mini consoles look like purely toy type products, almost like video game action figure stuff, so who knows. They'd only need to license trademarked names from Atari, Intellivision, and (yeck) Coleco holdings if they put the names or logos on them. None of the design patents are in effect anymore on the console or controller shapes, so Atari, Coleco etc. have no actual legal standing for consideration on those, (not that the current name holders ever did) but it does open interesting scenarios. Will any of them try some weaselly legal action to defend something they don't have? Will Arcade 1Up pay them off to shut them up? Will they give them anything to use the names or logos? Those modern day Atari dips have tried to claim some ownership over the original 2600 console and stick design which is complete nonsense.

I expect it's the same with these things they're selling too. I don't expect there's any ownership over the design of these, but you know the goober with the Rainbow Bright overstock probably wants to try and get a piece. I wonder if they're the same molds. The screens are the same postage stamp junk seen on the Rainbow Bright thing, so that's a strike against it.

image.thumb.png.769d34683d88b45bc20c41954144470e.png 

• Like 1

Cardillo Coleco has gone after people for using the Coleco-style mini arcade shell before, so I imagine he's getting a cut of these -- and without the risk and effort of having to manufacture anything himself. Nice scam he's got there. 

Even if Cardillo lost money on the Kickstarter production of Rainbow Brite and Robotech, he can use the existence of them as proof they're using the trademark or patent or whatever. These look the same, not just a knockoff. 

The Atari vs Hyperkin lawsuit is still moving slowly, but Hyperkin seems to want tostand up and defend itself. There's a similar lawsuit involving Target. If Atari loses any of these, maybe they will be less litigious in the future. There's another t-shirt infringement or three that Atari is likely to win, so maybe it all balances out.

Who is buying these mini-arcade machines, the tiny ones that go on a tabletop? They're everywhere. They hold very little appeal to me. 

• Like 1

Neither Cardillo, Atari or Intellivision have any rights associated to the original designs of the classic consoles which they had/have no design or manufacturing involvement in no matter what bullshit they try to spread around. There's also no patent going to be issued on those Coleco style mini arcades. I suppose the question would be did Arcade1Up lease or buy the molds off Cardillo or have some made? Not that I'm interested in these, but I'd never have any interest in anything that put a single penny in that scum bag window salesman's pocket.

"A patent allows you to profit when you invent something new. No one else can manufacture or sell your invention unless you give permission. However, this protection does not last forever. Depending on what you’ve invented, your patent will expire in either 14 or 20 years. When this occurs, anyone can copy your idea and market it. When a patent expires, the protection it offers ceases to exist.

Duration of Patent
A design patent covers new and creative ways of making an existing object. Design patents expire after 14 years. Almost everything else falls into the category of utility patents. Utility patents protect new, nonobvious and useful machines, manufactured articles, software and processes. Utility patents last 20 years."

The mini arcades must be protected by a trademark claim then, something most people would be unwilling to fight in court.

Dormitus Brands is built on fighting those fights and that's why they are up to their Underalls with Cingular Coleco goodness, filled to the Brim with a Slice of that sweet retro brand action. 

http://dormitus.com/brands/

I'm not aware of any kind of trademark protection on anything other than a word mark (name) or image mark (logo). Can't imagine the shape is protected use, but when they go to such pains to be the same, it may come down to ownership of the molds, and sometimes they make tiny modifications in those things over time to secure new patent protection on the specific ones in use. Can't imagine dormitus has the intelligence, pockets or wherewithal to have active patents on anything though. If they could do that, they'd have better things to do than be parasitic brand squatters.

Even if that plastic shape was somehiw protected, you can just make a different one that's better.  I was looking for any sort of coleco branding on those tabletops.  Didn't see any on the box but the unit itself might say coleco.  The software has nothing to do with coleco but if they see some nostalgic value of coleco branding that's their decision.

If someone wanted to make a working mini Commodore 64, they need to license the name trademark from one guy and the copyright on the bios from another guy.  To do the same with an intellivision you can license both from the same guy.  For a colecovision you can license the name from coleco holdings but from who do you license the bios copright?

And if you wanted to put colecovision versions of Zaxxon, Frenzy, Cosmic Avenger, PepperII on that mini console you could license the name and audiovisual copyrights from the current arcade owners but from who do you license the old coleco code copyright?