IGNORED

Jaguar shoot em ups?

The Undecided

I recently bought my brother a jaguar and a few games for christmas. Unfortunately he wasn’t into it so I gave him money instead and kept the jag! 

My favorite genre is shoot em ups and I have raiden which is fantastic ( I sold Trevor mcfur as I didn’t like it). Any other good shoot em ups to get?

I see xenon 2 got a port, is it any better then the sega mega drive version?

Any shoot em ups homebrews in the works? Let this thread be all about jag shoot em ups! Thanks guys..

Xenon 2 is pretty much identical to the Atari ST version (and has added music), thus it is definitely better than the Megadrive version. However, it's still a game that's an acquired taste.

There's a one level demo for Native. Pretty impressive, but obviously unfinished.

There are a few Defender-style shooters on the system. Defender 2000, naturally, but also the Protector games.

Tempest 2000 isn't a scrolling shooter like you may be looking for, but it's one of the best tube shooters ever (if not the best).

Reboot has The Last Strike in the works, which is a side scrolling shooter.

There are the other Atari ST ports as well that include other shooters, like R-Type. The ST versions weren't the most enjoyable things out there to begin with, but it's cool to be able to play them on the Jaguar.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Austin said:

Xenon 2 is pretty much identical to the Atari ST version (and has added music), thus it is definitely better than the Megadrive version. However, it's still a game that's an acquired taste.

There's a one level demo for Native. Pretty impressive, but obviously unfinished.

There are a few Defender-style shooters on the system. Defender 2000, naturally, but also the Protector games.

Tempest 2000 isn't a scrolling shooter like you may be looking for, but it's one of the best tube shooters ever (if not the best).

Reboot has The Last Strike in the works, which is a side scrolling shooter.

There are the other Atari ST ports as well that include other shooters, like R-Type. The ST versions weren't the most enjoyable things out there to begin with, but it's cool to be able to play them on the Jaguar.

Hey austin, thank you for all the suggestions!

Native looks insanely good, I may have to get a cd unit just for that game ( too bad it’s not on a standard cart :( ) the last strike looks very unique, I’m gonna pick that one up! 

as far as tempest 2000 goes I already have it, I have fond memories of it as I played the PlayStation port as a kid! Defender and protector look ok but are not the type of shooter I gravitate towards, I’ll end up grabbing em eventually..

Hopefully more homebrew shoot em ups will be made in the next couple of years!

Just now, The Undecided said:

Hey austin, thank you for all the suggestions!

Native looks insanely good, I may have to get a cd unit just for that game ( too bad it’s not on a standard cart :( ) the last strike looks very unique, I’m gonna pick that one up! 

as far as tempest 2000 goes I already have it, I have fond memories of it as I played the PlayStation port as a kid! Defender and protector look ok but are not the type of shooter I gravitate towards, I’ll end up grabbing em eventually..

Hopefully more homebrew shoot em ups will be made in the next couple of years!

Maybe, we'll see. Unfortunately there aren't many (if any) other options on the Jaguar at the moment.

I'm not sure how many other consoles you own, but there are some (like the Saturn and PS1) that are goldmines for the genre. I highly recommend diving into those (especially on the import side of things) if you haven't already.

14 minutes ago, Austin said:

Maybe, we'll see. Unfortunately there aren't many (if any) other options on the Jaguar at the moment.

I'm not sure how many other consoles you own, but there are some (like the Saturn and PS1) that are goldmines for the genre. I highly recommend diving into those (especially on the import side of things) if you haven't already.

Oh yes, I have around 300 or so shoot em ups on various consoles including ps1 and Saturn.

I’m really into the turbografx/ pc engine cd. ( I only need super Darius 2 and nexzr special to complete my pc engine cd collection!)

Edited by The Undecided
  • Like 1

Just now, The Undecided said:

Oh yes, I have around 300 or so shoot em ups on various consoles including ps1 and Saturn.

I’m really into the turbografx/ pc engine cd. ( I only need super Darius 2 and nexzr special to compete my pc engine cd collection!)

Very cool! Great to see another fan of the genre try to give some of the ones on the Jag a chance. ?

I guess it depends on your definition of what a shoot 'em up is.

Although there is a mission element the following could count as it is a large part of the game...

CyberMorph

HoverStrike

BattleSphere

Iron Soldier

Iron Solder 2

Wolfenstien 3D &

Doom

I can't really say what counts as good amongst those as most cause me issue when playing so the only ones I regulatory play are the Iron soldier.

I personally found BattleSphere looks good but did not enjoy playing it and if Doom is your kind of thing then you need should probably keep and eye on the slayer edition thread if you are not already   

• Confused 1

The term shmup is commonly known for games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Gradius, Raiden or R Type. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_'em_up

Doom is a FPS, Iron Soldier an Action Sim, like Hover Strike or Battlesphere.

I love shmups too and have a nice collection of them for various systems but honestly the Jaguar has only a few noteworthy ones and some might argue its mediocre at best compared what you can play on other systems. But there is still hope. ?

Edited by agradeneu

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

What could be more traditional than a variant of Robotron 2048?? ;-)

That's a twin stick shooter...

A shoot em up needs at least this one game mechanic, scrolling screen... either vertical or horizontal. So this excludes single screen games like Galaga, Space Invaders, or Asteroids.

Sure those game could be considered proto-shmups (games that would lead to the creation of the genre) but I think the first true shmup was Xevious. 

That saying I can stand playing Xevious… it's just so... boring. But I respect it for really starting the genre.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

As if Wikipedia is a real source... if the screen doesn't scroll on it's own it's not a shmup in my opinion. 

Wikipedia lumps in games like Contra into the genre... I'm sorry but games like that are wildly different than games like the Star Soldier or Thunder Force games. Really the only thing in common is that you shoot things and there's power ups.

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

A shoot em up needs at least this one game mechanic, scrolling screen... either vertical or horizontal. So this excludes single screen games like Galaga, Space Invaders, or Asteroids.

Sure those game could be considered proto-shmups (games that would lead to the creation of the genre) but I think the first true shmup was Xevious. 

That saying I can stand playing Xevious… it's just so... boring. But I respect it for really starting the genre.

A shoot em up needs at least one game mechanic which explains 99% of 99% of what is going on: shoot things, evade things. Thats really it, believe it or not. Scrolling, stage designs, bosses and extra weapons all build upon that. Some traditionalist will say that a Shmup has to be 2D. So all 3D and 3Dish may be excluded.

A "Twin Stick Shoot em up" (sic!) is still a shoot em up by any measure, the input method does not change that at all! Xenos Crisis might be a good example for disputing that the "Twin Stick Shooter" might represent an extra/seperate genre: while it's played with  a two Sticks on PS4/Xbox, the same game was designed to be played on a Mega Drive with a standard pad, and it was developed as a MD game in the first place.;-) In the 90s numerous Arcade Twin Sticks were ported to home consoles/computers with lacking that distinct input feature - think about Robotron 2048 on Lynx, Smash TV for the SNES and others. Llamatron for the ST is played with a keyboard, its basically a new take on Robotron. Hence a "Keyboard Shooter", but nobody ever heard of that, neither of "Joystick Shooter" or "Joypad Shooter". Ahaha

I don't know why you think there has to be scrolling - there are tons of good single screen shmups without it.   

Edited by agradeneu

I dunno I just find most single screen games boring. As an exception I'd rather play Galaga than Xevious but there's a myriad other things I'd rather play than either of them...

I consider anything that doesn't scroll to just be a shooter, which is what I consider to be the main genre... not shoot em up...

And if you use buttons for the second stick it still does not change the fact that it's a twin stick shooter. Four face buttons is enough to approximate a second stick (hold up and left for example) at least for the games that used twin 8 way joysticks.

So for what I consider to be a shmup is that the screen autoscrolls and you shoot... that's it. It's my opinion. It's what I seek out when looking for new games I haven't played. Top down run N gun games while are similar are not the same... in some ways not nearly has stressful at times as you don't need to worry about crashing into something, you have time to stop and take a breather for a second. I get that dodging bullets is dodging bullets, and that's why bullet-hell can exist separate from shoot em up... 

Anyway I do know the game Firepower 2000 (I game I picked up for SNES recently) is kind of like a hybrid between a shmup and a twin stick shooter (you can shoot in 8 directions) but the screen still autoscrolls vertically.

This just my opinion... anyway moving on.

I think Revenge of the Mutant Camels fits every requirement to be considered a horizontal shmup. So, grabbing Jeff Minter Classics from the AA store would be worth your while. And Lllamatron is no slouch either, as it's an even better game than Robotron if you ask me. Both games on a single cartridge, one of the best deals around.

Shmups are probably my favorite genre as well. Unfortunately it's sadly under-represented on the system. I consider Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 to be shmups, although non-traditional examples. They also happen to be 2 of my favorite games ever made. Most of my shmuppin these days is on the Saturn.

4 minutes ago, Kobra Kai said:

I think Revenge of the Mutant Camels fits every requirement to be considered a horizontal shmup. So, grabbing Jeff Minter Classics from the AA store would be worth your while. And Lllamatron is no slouch either, as it's an even better game than Robotron if you ask me. Both games on a single cartridge, one of the best deals around.

Shmups are probably my favorite genre as well. Unfortunately it's sadly under-represented on the system. I consider Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 to be shmups, although non-traditional examples. They also happen to be 2 of my favorite games ever made. Most of my shmuppin these days is on the Saturn.

I really need to play some Saturn shmups but they are all stupid expensive... I should get that mod chip as I hear it's pretty easy to install so I can just play using burnt copies... anyway most of my shmup time is on PC Engine or Genesis right now.

8 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I really need to play some Saturn shmups but they are all stupid expensive... I should get that mod chip as I hear it's pretty easy to install so I can just play using burnt copies... anyway most of my shmup time is on PC Engine or Genesis right now.

Mod chip, flash a Action Replay ("Pseudo Saturn"), or prepare to get yourself an ODE eventually and load ISOs off of that. It's worth it.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Shootemup are any games where you shoot things up.