IGNORED

Jaguar shoot em ups?

The Undecided

17 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

FPS is my favorite genre behind shoot em up and I would love an updated version of this game with a larger view and smaller hud… I just can't deal with a tiny view window. I'd want a PC release as I don't own a Jaguar.

Well you're in the wrong forum. Go post about it in the PC section.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PikoInteractive said:

I got full source code, but don't know if anyone wants to take the challenge. May be Rebecca Heineman, She has said she'd work for us on the Jag.

She's a top tier professional programmer. If Burger Becky said she'd work for you on Jag stuff then she's by far the top choice to try to recruit for converting Zero Tolerance to the Jag. For those who may not know she did 3D0 Doom and Killing Time.

If not that then if you can get her to work for you on the Jag regarding ANYTHING,  then do so.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:41 AM, willbilly said:

Does Zero 5 count?

I'd say it does! Zero 5 is awesome but damn it is hard tho! 

For those with a skunkboard and looking at the ports from the ST of say Degz and R-Type could be added to the shmup list. 

Most classic top down shmup for the Jag would be Raiden. I love games like that. The Saturn was littered with amazing too down shmups and it would be sweet if the Jag had some more. 

Revolution X was a really good arcade game compared to the piss poor Genesis version... I also like "Zombie Raid" arcade game; I use to play that at a pizza parlor. A while back I wanted to use the "White Men Can't Jump" source code to make a shooter similar to Revolution X... But I think that game used real 3D versus the pseudo 3D used for the RevX arcade; a very good example of 2D sprites in a 3D environment... Still I would love to make a game like that. Someone posted "Beast Buster" earlier...? Great game also.

Edited by philipj

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

Nevermind. Agradeneu doesn't like it. 

Stick with the firesale IPs then.... ?

Without a completely rewritten engine and redone graphics that second rate Genesis Wolfenstein clone is pretty pointless porting exercise for the Jaguar. Buy a Genesis to play a Genesis game - sounds like a plan? ;-)

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Without a completely rewritten engine and redone graphics that second rate Genesis Wolfenstein clone is pretty pointless porting exercise for the Jaguar. Buy a Genesis to play a Genesis game - sounds like a plan? ;-)

Wolfenstein lol.

Zero Tolerance is more of a Doom kind of engine. But that's only my 2 cents.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

FPS is my favorite genre behind shoot em up and I would love an updated version of this game with a larger view and smaller hud… I just can't deal with a tiny view window. I'd want a PC release as I don't own a Jaguar.

PC release may happen in just emulated version, Then a major remaster sort of what we did with Super 3D Noah's ark but also for other platforms.

9 minutes ago, PikoInteractive said:

Wolfenstein lol.

Zero Tolerance is more of a Doom kind of engine. But that's only my 2 cents.

Seriously, really? Looks a lot  like Wolfenstein, all 90 degree angles and the same height for all walls. No Ceiling and floor textures. Runs windowed and half the framerate of Jaguar W3D. The Genesis can't handle the Doom engine, don't kid yourself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Not really. Sounds rather contrary just to be that way. Almost like saying buy an ST to play an ST game. 

It's a near totally different system. Of course engine would need rebuilding. You know who Burger Becky is? 

I dunno. This opportunity has a lot of potential. It's a shame of all the 100s of people who would love a good port of this the one voice that pops up immediately is someone who's gotta bash it. And then those who would enjoy it instead of voicing a yay go on big rambling posts babbling about how in the next life they want to use the WMCJ source code to port Revolution X.

This community is depressing. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, JagChris said:

Not really. Sounds rather contrary just to be that way. Almost like saying buy an ST to play an ST game. 

It's a near totally different system. Of course engine would need rebuilding. You know who Burger Becky is? 

I dunno. This opportunity has a lot of potential. It's a shame of all the 100s of people who would love a good port of this the one voice that pops up immediately is someone who's gotta bash it. And then those who would enjoy it instead of voicing a yay go on big rambling posts babbling about how in the next life they want to use the WMCJ source code to port Revolution X.

This community is depressing. 

No seriously... I've wanted to do something for with WMCJ for a while and sort of let the idea go over time, but the "Revolution X" thing...? Really the idea came with "Zombie Raid", but the Rev X game with the pseudo 3D perspective along with the fast action (just something I fancied), the closes thing to something like on the Jaguar is WMCJ having the similar effects like Rev X, but I think the game is using real 3D perspective beyond simple scrolling and scaling. I just posted the Rev X as something possible to shoot for; it doesn't have to be a direct port of the arcade game, but a different or new game design that has just as much impact; I am an artist after all. But yes I'm pretty serious about such an idea despite the slow wheels of progress and real life. But keep in mind I'm just getting back into things after being away for a while, I'm also trying to bring an optimistic point of view on things to help bring some positivity to the table, but I guess it doesn't always interpret as such, but I still have hope this Jaguar forum.

Also... I mentioned this idea on JS2 some years back so the idea is very old but still very good. 

Edited by philipj

4 hours ago, Swansea_Mariner said:

I'm all for another FPS, does need completely  redone gfx though as there's not much porting something substantially worse than what we already have.

Hopefully that's Piko's intention, we don't need any more shovelware

Meh I rather not bother  or bother Rebecca to be honest, If the community is going to be acting like that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PikoInteractive said:

Meh I rather not bother  or bother Rebecca to be honest, If the community is going to be acting like that.

Look I'm being honest there is some real high quality homebrew development going on for the jaguar, games that are as good if not better than a substantial proportion of the existing game library. 

The bar has been moved considerably upwards. I mean just look at Lucky Strike and compare it to Video Kid. There's theoretically space for both but I'm honestly thinking what's the point we're not starved for new developments anymore.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Un goddamn believable. 'We'? Swansee must have a mouse in his pocket. Because he sure as hell doesn't speak for the community. 

This community is jinxed or something.

You make no sense, Piko just threatens to punish all of their consumers because 2 individuals disagree with them. 

I have no problem with disagreement. None at all. But the way you go about it could use some polish. 

But the other half of the problem is the only voice seems to be a negative one. None of the 100s who would enjoy a upgraded port to Zero Tolerance on the Jag except Sauron have spoken up. No creative discussion. 

Just one negative voice jabbing sticks at Piko. He doesn't know the difference. He thinks that's everyone 'if the community is going to be like that'

Edited by JagChris
Clarity

16 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I have no problem with disagreement. None at all. But the way you go about it could use some polish. 

But the other half of the problem is the only voice seems to be a negative one. None of the 100s who would enjoy a upgraded port to Zero Tolerance on the Jag except Sauron have spoken up. No creative discussion. 

Just one negative voice jabbing sticks at Piko. He doesn't know the difference. He thinks that's everyone 'if the community is going to be like that'

?

Just to be clear I'm all for encouraging anyone  to make the effort to bring updated, upgraded, or improved products to the market, but that's not exactly what's coming out of this stable at the moment. 

This figures banded about of around 70 global sales seems to suggest there's not much of a market for the current approach in any case.

I'm supportive both in writing and in buying lots of the games coming through, but don't see why I have to be happy clappy about everything

• Like 1