IGNORED

No more PayPal for me

This is information, to prevent that someone transfer me some money via PayPal - like donation or hard disk driver SW order. It works not, and could not solve issue over 2 weeks - they just can not fix trivial problem. Really pathetic. Will cancel account in couple days. But maybe not that big loss, as they raised their fee significantly in last months. So, at moment only bank transfer. Would be good to have some WEB alternative. For details:  petari@8bitchip.info

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
mistype
  • Haha 1

I received your email (and refund) regarding this problem this morning. I wonder if there is some way around this to keep using paypal? I mean, you are selling legitimate software.

Unfortunately I cannot use bank transfer to re-send you the payment however. My wife would kill me if she say a bank transfer to Hungary. Our bank account was compromised a few years ago so I would rather not freak her out. 

We will have to find another way.

I wonder if you go about the sale of your driver differently through Paypal if it will make a difference.

For example, instead of having the buyer privately send you the money if you set up a donation link on your page instead. So, you will be asking for a $XX donation for continued development and product support and as a consequence of the donation the person receives a unique driver download link.

This way nobody can file a charge back for goods not received or something like that.... as they willingly gave you a donation.

I donated once to a person who created a dual pane file manager and in return received access to a special download section where I can download current versions of the program.

Paypal is simply trying to keep things on the "up and up" so I can see their view. They are seeing payments going directly to your paypal account with no real evidence for what it is for. This opens the possibility for someone to force a charge back from you after they receive the driver and say that they "did not receive anything". And Paypal would have to reverse the charge as the payment does not show a product has been purchased. I would imagine they lose money somewhere when that happens.

Just a thought.  If you set up a donation style setup on your site and some sort of unique login for users who have donated it will make life really easy when distributing updates. You will no longer have to worry about reaching out to people for them (or them reaching out directly to you). They can simply log in to their private access and download the latest version. All you would have to do is maintain the private download section. I think this is the perfect option honestly.

When you have it sorted and I can pay you normally I will re-submit the payment. Keep me updated!

Edited by eightbit

The problems with PayPal are very different nature in my case. Paying for concrete thing, like driver SW worked well. There were some problems of course in some cases - most of it was that partitioning, driver worked not well. And the reason was in most cases low quality Flash card. Or incompatible CF card in case of IDE driver (timing is crucial). And sometimes Atari worked not so well - usual aging problems. All it was resolved after some mailing - and that's another reason to do all it via e-mail. There is no problem about evidence for what people should pay - Lotharek recommends my driver, and people on forums .. And there is free demo/test v. too.  Couple times e-mail finished in spam folder, even if there was no any exe, sys file (potential viruses), and I think that only once I needed to send it from another mail server.

And that leads us to real cause of problem - lot of harmful activity online - malware. Then, using money transfer services like PayPal for money laundry and who knows what other. Especially complicated when it is international. In short: my problem started with moving. They asked for address proof, I sent it. Then I moved again after some 7 months because bad people. And that was when something went bad at PayPal - and I was just unable to submit address proof (photo of specific document(s)) . Tried with their customer service, phoning in Ireland (gave up after listening music for 2 minutes (at high tarif)). After some harsh complain, I finally got e-mail from staff with explanation how to prove address - nothing new, and despite I said that it works not that's all what they did. I even sent photo in reply, but nothing. Paid 4 Euros to bank to get some doc. where on same page are my data and their stamps (normally it goes over multiple pages) - just that it go in sink at PayPal.  I guess that real problem is that there are more and more rules, controls forced by governments, while number  of humans, who work there is very limited (why to pay more ...) . And they are too busy with bigger fishes than me and similar, with small traffic.

Things gone complicated, and even bad with banks too, in last months, year. Now you need cellar phone to be able to access your bank account online - will get single use password at each visit in SMS. Certainly as result of many breaks of usual static password  based access. There was even some rule that those who pay with pay-pass must insert card and give pin code after some number of paying (as additional safety, whatever) - but with stupid text on terminal: limit is exceeded - what limit when I have enough on account, and I am far from set card spending limit ? I say, that people working on that SW really does not care to make it properly and not misleading.  It was over some 3 months, and nicest thing is that in bank those who work with customers knew nothing about it ? 

Things just went too complicated in money sphere, and on top of it, people working on SW is really not competent. Or maybe just don't care what people think - money is more pleasing ?

• 3 weeks later...

I opened account at transferwise, because someone here using it and is satisfied.  However, I don't see that they accept credit card (like Visa, Master) payments, what would be good for some people. They give regular type bank account(s), possible in diverse currencies, and then is possible to make SEPA transfer there.  Not sure that it will be better than transfer to some Hu bank, but maybe someone knows it better .. For many people bank transfers to Hu bank are just too expensive. So, I have lot of orders waiting better way.

And to add, PayPal is definitely out of options for me. There are plans that some Hu bank take over international online transfers, somewhere at April. Because government and I guess 'some others' here don't like what PayPal does ..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More about transferwise - after some experience with :

All went pretty smooth and fast. For instance they told: up to 5 days to verify ID - was less than 5 hours. My master card arrived today - was said that will come at Febr. 12.

And actually, payment/transfer with cards work. But you need first to register there. Then can send money to your account for free - with debit card like Master, Visa.

And from your account can transfer like it is at PayPal - e-mail address based to other people registered there. Fees are low.

Borderless debit card is what will get for free too - only condition is to need to send first some money on account (20 Eu for instance, if Eu account). After verification, that money stays on account, for user. And best way to send there money is with card - then no bank charge, plus it arrives instantly.

I even added their logo to my homepage. As see, they want to expand, to take it over from ..  Will show always fees, before user starts transaction.

My transfer of 20 Euros went slow, because in local bank they gave me first some wrong info about card usage, there was pretty messy sometimes at counter. But did not forget to raise diverse fees ?

https://transferwise.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And little more about subject, now, 2.5 Months after PayPal stopped to work for me:

This is not some kind of ' don't like PayPal, had some issues with them ' case for me. And yes, there is lot of it not happy with PayPal. For instance exxos wrote years ago many bad experiences with them.  In my case this is simply screwed up account, and not possible to perform money transfer to me. I tried everything to resolve problem, but they customer service is below miserable. Rather some molesting service. I'm not exaggerating.  All started somewhere in May 2019, with message to me that someone wanted to transfer me bigger amount of money, and that I need to supply some additional data, documents to make it possible. That there will be account limits, according to state laws, regulations of members citizenship. Of course that was pure lie. Nobody attempts to send me money without talking about it first (e-mail) . I'm sure now that Hu government is  behind this limits. But how PayPal handled it is something most unprofessional I ever seen. Like send us proof of address where you live. When I did it (and costed me 4 Euros at bank to get doc in usable format for PayPal) they said 'no company logo' . WTF ? It was never said that it is required too.  OK, went again in bank, and they made me new one, with that logo. This time for free - most likely because I told then earlier that I'm not happy with their new fees and some bad experiences at counter, so they thought better not charge (was mistake, I left bank 1 week later ? ) . And what was with that doc, now with company logo ? PayPal just ignored it.  Other idiotic thing:  desparated, I removed my bank account at PayPal, and wanted to close account - later was not possible - and again with text that contact customer service - yeah, as it 'helped' in other cases. Then I wanted to try last time, and wanted to register that same bank account at PayPal.

And ?  No, not possible, because name does not match.  Huahahahahhaha. Sure, I registered at PayPal in 2013 without my middle name. Same day I added there that bank account, where my name is with middle name - and that was not problem then, but now is ?!   And I could continue - like not working sms code ...

All in all, this is something what people in worst communistic times did not experience with some service.  Honestly, I see only 1 logical explanation: they are not allowed to say real reason why can not work for user like me, so just sabotage it, with seemingly not working WEB submissions and like.  Hurra 2020 !

And something positive: thanx Vattari for recommending transferwise. Some other people did it too (in my place), and I use it now for some 45 days. Offers much more than PayPal, for less money (fees). I can have up to 50 accounts in different currencies. I have Master Card (0 charge) with which can shop here, in any better shop, charged in local currency what is converted by transferwise to my account currency at very low fee (about 0.3 %). So, really much better than going to bank and convert/raise there money - no time waste and higher fees. TW can work like PayPal - user e-mail address based transfers. There are some restristions considering from where can sand to someone's Euro account - EU countries. But can send to some other currency account, or to domestic bank, but via transferwise, so with lover fees.

• Like 1