IGNORED

How Much Would You Pay for an NES Classic Edition?

Hi everyone! It's that time of the month again when I have the difficult task of deciding what I'm going to buy for my collection (a good problem to have, I know.) For the past few months I've been trying to focus on Nintendo stuff and an item that I've been meaning to get ever since it came out is the NES Classic Edition. I already have the SNES Classic and I think the NES one would be a fantastic addition to my collection. But I can't really find a reliable source when it comes to price. I checked eBay, Game Value Now, Price Charting, GameStop and a few more. Thing is, prices vary a lot and I have no idea how much the system really goes for. eBay prices in particular go for $100 or more for the used/incomplete system, so I have no idea if that's fine or not. The cheapest one I found where I live is around $65 with free shipping and it comes in the box, but not manual/poster, unfortunately. I'll include pictures below for reference. Can you help me out? I don't know if that's a good deal or not and I hate overpaying. Also, do you think the system will become more expensive/collectible as time goes on? Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to what you guys have to say about this!

nes-classic-edition-D_NQ_NP_662722-MLA32

nes-classic-edition-D_NQ_NP_864122-MLA32

Unless you're going to have it in the background of a video, I don't think the NES classic is a worthwhile investment. It's cute, for sure, but I don't like playing on it. The shimmering video (if you play in 4:3 mode) and audio lag are enough that I don't really care for it. I've owned one and sold it twice now. The first time I was not happy with emulation quality, the second time I thought "well it's the rerelease, maybe it's better now." I was wrong. The SNES Classic fixed a lot of this and it's much nicer, IMO. 

RPi 4 running Lakka still has a little audio sync problem. It's close enough I wondered if it was my receiver lagging. But then I fired up a real NES connected via RetroTink and the audio sync issues went away. It's most obvious when you do things that make sound effects happen. Firing a weapon in Mega Man or jumping in Super Mario. You'll fire the shot or leave the ground before the sound effect happens. I'm a little more sensitive to it than some, though; I also have issues trying to play guitar through a USB audio interface while recording in a DAW. The solution there is direct monitoring. The solution here is to play on a different device. :D

edit: My Life in Gaming's review covers both issues in depth so you can see it for yourself. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

2 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

Unless you're going to have it in the background of a video, I don't think the NES classic is a worthwhile investment. It's cute, for sure, but I don't like playing on it. The shimmering video (if you play in 4:3 mode) and audio lag are enough that I don't really care for it. I've owned one and sold it twice now. The first time I was not happy with emulation quality, the second time I thought "well it's the rerelease, maybe it's better now." I was wrong. The SNES Classic fixed a lot of this and it's much nicer, IMO. 

RPi 4 running Lakka still has a little audio sync problem. It's close enough I wondered if it was my receiver lagging. But then I fired up a real NES connected via RetroTink and the audio sync issues went away. It's most obvious when you do things that make sound effects happen. Firing a weapon in Mega Man or jumping in Super Mario. You'll fire the shot or leave the ground before the sound effect happens. I'm a little more sensitive to it than some, though; I also have issues trying to play guitar through a USB audio interface while recording in a DAW. The solution there is direct monitoring. The solution here is to play on a different device. :D

edit: My Life in Gaming's review covers both issues in depth so you can see it for yourself. 

I have that video in my "Watch Later" for a few days and for whatever reason I haven't watched it yet. I'll do that now for sure! I knew about the cute factor, but I definitely intended to own the console for the purposes of playing (I don't have much space in my entertainment center, but me and my family have some plans for the future when it comes to out house). I feel like I'm not that sensitive to lag as long as it's not obvious, but then again, my entire childhood revolved around jumping over goombas. I'll watch the video and see that for myself, but that's definitely a bummer! I really wanted to get the system to play games on it.

1 hour ago, Games Retrospect said:

I have that video in my "Watch Later" for a few days and for whatever reason I haven't watched it yet. I'll do that now for sure! I knew about the cute factor, but I definitely intended to own the console for the purposes of playing (I don't have much space in my entertainment center, but me and my family have some plans for the future when it comes to out house). I feel like I'm not that sensitive to lag as long as it's not obvious, but then again, my entire childhood revolved around jumping over goombas. I'll watch the video and see that for myself, but that's definitely a bummer! I really wanted to get the system to play games on it.

The other thing to consider is that the controller cords are incredibly short. It's not really a living room device unless you get a wireless controller. 8bitdo made a pretty good one: https://www.8bitdo.com/n30-2-4g/

9 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

The other thing to consider is that the controller cords are incredibly short. It's not really a living room device unless you get a wireless controller. 8bitdo made a pretty good one: https://www.8bitdo.com/n30-2-4g/

I knoew about that. I was thinking about getting those cheap extension cords and eventually move on to an 8bitdo controller, though those are more of an investment.

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

If you need other random strangers on the internet to decide your gaming habits for you, I suggest not buying anything at all until you find something you want and decide to purchase for yourself.

I don't like other people decing things for me. I do, on the other hand, benefit from someone else's opinion about a system I don't since, since I've pretty much accepted I don't know everything. Have you ever read an article online or watched an informative YouTube video? Would you call that a case of a stranger choosing something for you? Or would you call that doing research so that you can make an informed purchase decision? I saved money for months in order to buy a new system and due to my country's economic instability I don't know if I'll be able to buy an NES Classic Edition in the future. If I can, I can assure you it won't be at that price. Since I've never played on an NES Classic let alone touched one, I'd love to hear another enthusiast's opinion about the system before I get it and in the case of the person who first replied, he made reference to a fantastic video that's more than helpful. I wish I could say that all comments I get are as helpful (not to mention polite) as that person's.

Oh and if you happen to own an NES Classic, I'd LOVE to hear what you think, so that instead of getting a negative message maybe you could actually help someone else.

Just now, Games Retrospect said:

That sounds amazing, but I don't really have space for another system. Unless that's a mini system that I can plug in whenever I want to play and then goes back in the box and in the shelf when I'm done.

I get that... but for my situation there's no point in getting an NES Classic... I already have a bunch of games and if I wanted to play via emulation I'd just use a PC for that.

1 minute ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I get that... but for my situation there's no point in getting an NES Classic... I already have a bunch of games and if I wanted to play via emulation I'd just use a PC for that.

Of course, I definitely get it. I'd love to play on the real thing and I've been looking at some NES games for the past few days, but I don't really have the space for that (11 systems and counting...) At least NES Classic is emulation, but official emulation? I personally hate playing on the PC.

Evidently nothing, considering I haven't purchased one. :P

Never really had the interest, honestly. I still have my NES from when I was a kid (among a few others) along with every game I'd ever care to play. ?‍♂️

Besides, I have a weird thing about consoles that are smaller than their controllers. ?

I'm going to have to back the comment on buying from Nintendo for $50 unless you like wasting money on trolls.  And also it's a solid device with a really fun spread of games, you have to be a real nitpicker to start really complaining about it as it does what it intended to do quite well.

8 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I wouldn't buy one in the first place... not when I have like 170 NES games...

But, but... you can hack it and add the other 547 games to it! :lolblue:

14 hours ago, Games Retrospect said:

Oh and if you happen to own an NES Classic, I'd LOVE to hear what you think, so that instead of getting a negative message maybe you could actually help someone else.

What @Shawn is probably saying is, in his usual honest/blunt fashion, is to help yourself for a change. It's OK to lift a finger and do your own research every now and then.

How about this for a concept: YOU do the research, then make a thread telling us what YOU find. That would be significantly more interesting than other people doing the leg work for you like they usually do in these threads.

Side note:

The NES Classic is a cute little box with mixed emulation. The screen shimmering and sound issues are annoying. If you can get by those, and if you like your SNES Classic, then you have your answer as to whether you should buy or not. The price to pay is whatever you are comfortable with paying, not what we say you should pay.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

Hacked or not, the NES Classic is a nice way to scratch that retro itch. The controllers feel original and, depending how good your TV's "game mode" is (and how well you know the games), everything should feel pretty close to the real deal. 

However (and isn't there always a however) there might be some quibbles if you really know a game. Like it feels "off". Case in point-I love "Kid Icarus". While I may not rack up huge points (though I usually have an audience of wee folk literally hanging on me watching, so that doesn't help the skills) I normally can survive the levels pretty well on the actual cart. When I play the Classic, I don't seem to do as well. I know the sound is off by a tiny bit (only game I really notice it in) but I wasn't sure if I was that rusty or if it was the emulation/TV lag. New Year's Eve I busted out a 13" CRT and my teenager-hood NES and played Kid Ick. I smashed through a dungeon I left off at and the following two levels  with only a couple deaths. 

Just my experience, so take it as you will.

• Like 1

For myself, $0.  However I have a few friends (who aren't big retro gamers) that have one so I have played it.  I can't shake the feeling that it was meant for the family or middle-aged guy/gal who hasn't thought about Mario Bros. in 30 years to get a quick nostalgia fix.  It's not, imo, a very good way to actually play the games included.

• Like 1