IGNORED

Another 800 with a whacking price on Ebay

TGB1718

Just saw this one on Ebay, it does look very nice, but it does say "cleaned", so it may not be as mint as it says.

I think that £800 equates to over a $1000 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-800-BOXED-in-MINT-condition-with-OMNIMON-upgrade-CLEANED-TESTED/153787140709?hash=item23ce6d8a65:g:t-MAAOSwEbBeEvLh

• Haha 1

Just because it was cleaned doesn't mean it can't be in mint condition, there is a difference between MINT and NIB, one is used the other is not. But it would have to be NIB for it to be worth that much, IMHO.

• Like 1

It's lighter than my original US 800 was (based on pictures I have from the time it was new). Although that could be his picture, or some post processing thing.

And yes, price is pretty crazy.

People ask what they ask though, I figure if they can get it, more power to them.

Yeah, people ask really out of this world prices for some things, and I'm often left wondering what they base it on.

I got into a big argument on ebay because someone thought I should accept their low-ball offer for my Jaguar last spring. Basically, they offered me my starting bid price the very first day of my auction and couldn't believe that I didn't fall all over myself to stop the auction and sell it to them. I'd done my research and knew what many were going for and I knew the condition of my unit. I felt a starting bid of $300 was fair for what I had, so I ignored the person making the offer and let the auction go the full ten days. I wound up selling it for $425 if I remember correctly.

You have to do your research and know what you have. Of course, knowing what you have can work to your advantage, and not, sometimes...

I agree, this price seems insane, and it seems like the person trying to sell it has likely done no research at all.

8 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Yeah, people ask really out of this world prices for some things, and I'm often left wondering what they base it on.

I got into a big argument on ebay because someone thought I should accept their low-ball offer for my Jaguar last spring. Basically, they offered me my starting bid price the very first day of my auction and couldn't believe that I didn't fall all over myself to stop the auction and sell it to them. I'd done my research and knew what many were going for and I knew the condition of my unit. I felt a starting bid of $300 was fair for what I had, so I ignored the person making the offer and let the auction go the full ten days. I wound up selling it for $425 if I remember correctly.

You have to do your research and know what you have. Of course, knowing what you have can work to your advantage, and not, sometimes...

I agree, this price seems insane, and it seems like the person trying to sell it has likely done no research at all.

Think I sold my boxed Jag for about £30 on eBay 10/11 years ago. ?  Kept my Tempest 2000 in case I ever bought another one. Looks like I won't be buying one after all.

UK prices do tend to be a bit nuts. Arcade machines cost as much as ten times as more than they do in the US. I've seen arcade systems go for as little as $250-$300 in the US. Here, you're typically asking around £1500 to £3000 for one. Missed out on a bargain basement Vectrex for £100 back in October because it was the other end of Wales. Daughter was visiting her grandmother in Cardiff but not until a month after the FB listing first appeared. But I've seen prices over well over £1000 on eBay UK. The 800 is always quite expensive over here but this is insane. Problem is that others are going to list theirs at stupid prices now they've seen this.

Must say that I still think the colour is way wrong, i'd hate to think there's a yellow 800 under that.

And yeah, silly prices here in the UK and worse thill many listed as 'sold as seen' which at that price I want to know the damn thing works. I also think people get mixed up with their market places, on the Facebook Market its normal to see fantastical numbers as the price but its actually what you offer the seller that matters, it seems that some think the same applies and of course there's always the hopeful person that thinks they will make a killing if its placed high (so must be special).

Me. I buy almost exclusively from 'buy it now' on ebay, just brought a SNES USA Star Fox for 7.00 quid and a Pilot Wings Japan for 4.50, no messing about with haggling and the price IS fair..

Only failure so far was what was meant to be a GDemu for the Dreamcast and what arrived was 10 pink boxes, the price I admit was too good to be true but at 2.50 I risked and lost.....My daughter loves the little Chinese boxes though :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Think I sold my boxed Jag for about £30 on eBay 10/11 years ago. ?  Kept my Tempest 2000 in case I ever bought another one. Looks like I won't be buying one after all.

UK prices do tend to be a bit nuts. Arcade machines cost as much as ten times as more than they do in the US. I've seen arcade systems go for as little as $250-$300 in the US. Here, you're typically asking around £1500 to £3000 for one. Missed out on a bargain basement Vectrex for £100 back in October because it was the other end of Wales. Daughter was visiting her grandmother in Cardiff but not until a month after the FB listing first appeared. But I've seen prices over well over £1000 on eBay UK. The 800 is always quite expensive over here but this is insane. Problem is that others are going to list theirs at stupid prices now they've seen this.

I bought a NIB Jaguar about 7 years ago for £35!, I did sell it and make a bit but prices are stupid now, I'll never buy another one just to play T2K, the only game that I actually enjoyed on the system.
Everything 8bit Atari has gone crazy, £20+ for a common cart game, similar for some cassette games.
I'm kind of resigning myself to the fact that I have what I have and won't be buying much if any more. The dilemma now is do I cash in on some of the stuff that I have, or will I regret it?

I was looking at the pics close-up (zoomed in) and it definitely hasn't been painted, I've lots of experience with painting my own equipment. The plastic texture is too well defined to have been painted over. It's just the lighting or post-production tricks. I have about a dozen old 800 ads I use as PC wallpaper and the range of colors in those ads is from pure white looking to orange.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Must say that I still think the colour is way wrong, i'd hate to think there's a yellow 800 under that.

I admit this was my first reaction to the pictures as well.  Something extra has been done to get that unit so white whether he did a famous job of retrobrighting or he painted it.  That fact alone steers me far away from any thoughts of purchase since there should have been some kind of declaration in the description regarding it, imo.  And if it is as Gunstar mentioned a lighting trick, then all the more wariness should be employed, lol!

Edited by Trellot

1 hour ago, EpikalPuppy said:

Nobody's mentioned that the top half of the shell is a completely different color than the bottom.

You are right, I was so focused on the texture I didn't notice before. So it isn't really "mint" and he didn't retro-bright the bottom too in the refurbishment, so it can't even be called "restored to mint-like," which would be truthful, if the retro-brighting was done right, but definitely not as it is.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I think the only outrage is about the price, the rumblings about the colour is purely about the use of 'mint', mint in the comic collectors world is "as close to its day 1 sales condition as possible", so saying it was refurbed sort of negates that..

However, its all moot as its unlikely to sell at that price..

Anyway, blame the seller, they started it :)

We were just drawn in like flies to a turd!

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Prices of Atari hardware are high, but software is on another level. Cartridge with tape copier for $13,000

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F164012137459

Meth is a terrible drug kids...........

I think that is a typo - I bet he meant $59.89 as all his other auctions are so ridiculous off the charts

• Haha 2

Yes it's not mint. Seller is misusing the term here in a dishonest/misleading way.   It's been modded!  If the keyboard plungers are cracked that also isn't mint. Looks retrobrighted or the top half might have been replaced with one of the recent NOS reject top cases from myatari.  It could go for $200-$400 USD is my guesstimate. The box looks very nice.

From what I can tell, the keyboard looks to be used a good amount, also precluding it from mint cond.

Actual mint machines are rare on ebay.

Edited by Sugarland

On 1/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, Tickled_Pink said:

I got my second 800 (with a defective Mitsumi keyboard but otherwise working fine) from the UK for 115 quid plus very reasonable shipping and with a 410 and 1010 thrown in and thought it was a much better bargain than continental European prices. That was a bit more than two years ago.

A few months later I got a chance offer for a very nice PAL Jaguar plus European PSU for 130 USD shipped from an AA member who had originally offered Vectrex controllers. 

The general trend still seems to be upward but there are occasional bargains if you keep looking, like some not too bad looking Indus GTs from the UK a few weeks ago (which I did not buy). 

About that Vectrex, it's vexing if people sell nice stuff for low prices but only if you pick them up somewhere in the sticks. 

With Arcade machines (and Vectrexes) the main reason for high prices ein Europe must be scarcity. I think that even the UK and certainly the rest of Europe had significantly fewer arcades in the 80s per capita than the US and with houses / apartments that are smaller on average than in the US, less machines were kept in homes than survived in US garages. There used to be a German company selling used pinball machines with high-gloss catalogs well into the 90s but they never offered used Arcade games. Having a pinball machine in your office/living room was hip, Arcade machines probably less so. I assume most were dumped/recycled before the 80s teens that loved them had enough money and space to hoard them.

I have an 800 with Omnimon... I'd sell it for $1000 without hesitation ? (at that price).  Doubt we'll see these sell for that...  Sellers can ask whatever they want.... Doesn't mean they'll get it.

I am amazed how prices have gone up on this stuff.  I like picking up a bargain and fixing it though.  That's how I got my 1200xl, xegs, and 600xl.  Bargains are out there, but getting harder and harder to find.  Patience and diligence are key.

-- Curt

• Like 1