IGNORED

Best NES 72-Pin Connector Replacement

Tempest

21 hours ago, mikem said:

Back in the late 90s early 00s I called Nintendo and asked if I could buy a replacement 72 pin connector for my console.  They replied no you can’t, but we can ship you one for free!

I managed to get two of them. Installed one in an NES which I still own, and kept the other unused.  Still have the unused one today but won’t be selling it. 

Aside from bragging, my point is you might be able to find a brand new NOS OEM connector if you look hard enough. That would be the absolute best solution. 

They're around I've seen them pop up various times I've searched for NES parts so it's not quite uncommon.  It will cost a bit more than the brittle death grip poor garbage from China but it's worth it.

• 6 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, mikem said:

Aside from bragging, my point is you might be able to find a brand new NOS OEM connector if you look hard enough. That would be the absolute best solution. 

I totally disagree.  The original front-loading mechanism was a poor design at the best of times and the BLW solution corrects this design flaw.  Also in the 34+ years since it's release there has been a lot of time and effort spent on improving the materials and methods of implementing the 72-pin connector.

I understand those that wish to stick to OEM parts would choose to buy the NES OEM connector, but if you are looking for the "absolute best solution" then going after-market is far better.

• 11 months later...

Seriously overrated.  Just get an original.

- Bend pins back towards center one at a time with a clothespin(or similar)

- While doing this fold up some paper towel into the bottom of a pot filled with water and set to BOIL

- Drop pins in when boiling, set 5min timer

- On removal, use a NES cleaning kit, third party, or make your own with a glasses wipe rag over a card -- in and out 10x until clean

- Not clean, repeat the 5min dunk.

The junk that comes off no normal route will do is nasty, gray goop comes off the cleaning kit of choice.

Between the pins, heat, and being aluminum it kind of re-hardens up the grip of the pins quite a lot, burns the crap off to a nice shine, works like a fresh out of the box system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...