IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Paddle-Support

I just acquired an Atari Flashback X console, and I tried out some paddle games using standard Atari paddle controls. I noticed some lag. It's not quite as bad as the lag on the Flashback 8, but it's definitely noticeable. I thought the Flashback X was supposed to the use the Stella emulator like the Flashback 9 and lag wasn't supposed to be an issue.

Has anybody else noticed this lag?

19 hours ago, ft55555 said:

I just acquired an Atari Flashback X console, and I tried out some paddle games using standard Atari paddle controls. I noticed some lag. It's not quite as bad as the lag on the Flashback 8, but it's definitely noticeable. I thought the Flashback X was supposed to the use the Stella emulator like the Flashback 9 and lag wasn't supposed to be an issue.

Has anybody else noticed this lag?

Could be the Stella version. I’d check the R77 thread in the 2600 section to see if there was a paddle lag change from Stella 3 to Stella 5. Also, I wonder why TIJH couldn’t get his paddles to work. Maybe he was using the Flashback 9 modded ones by mistake. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, rennervision said:

I'm thinking about getting the FBX.  (My first Flashback!)  Has anyone tried it with driving controllers?

I am going to test the driving controller, keypad and trak-ball as soon as my replacement fbx comes in. I static shocked it touching the switches and now the otg and pc syncing no longer works so i cant test games on my hdd. So i sanded the chrome off of the square part off the switch covers that touch the actual switches and will swap these ones out when the new system arrives. 

Edited by pimpmaul69
Typo

I do not have a paddle yet, but I tried another joystick I bought from Ebay. This one.

It works partially. The fire buttons work, but when using this controller FB X warned me that "wireless controllers are not supported with paddle plugged in" or something like that.

So it knows it is not an original FBX controller and it is acting strange.

Seems like it constantly changes the directions from left to right, but up and down direction works (in game, tried Strategy X)

Also, the menu movement works fine, without issues.

I tried that joystick also on my Rambo clone console and it works fine there, without issue. So this joystick is not very suitable for FB X, in my opinion.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Wizzard

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, Wizzard said:

I do not have a paddle yet, but I tried another joystick I bought from Ebay. This one.

It works partially. The fire buttons work, but when using this controller FB X warned me that "wireless controllers are not supported with paddle plugged in" or something like that.

So it knows it is not an original FBX controller and it is acting strange.

Seems like it constantly changes the directions from left to right, but up and down direction works (in game, tried Strategy X)

Also, the menu movement works fine, without issues.

I tried that joystick also on my Rambo clone console and it works fine there, without issue. So this joystick is not very suitable for FB X, in my opinion.

s-l1600.jpg

That is an atari 7800 controller. Not compatible with a 2600 except running 2600 on a 7800. 

11 hours ago, Wizzard said:

according to that ebay listing it is official pro line joystick compatible with Atari 2600, Atari 7800

That's correct: the prolines are compatible with a standard 2600. They were specifically designed to provide 2 independent buttons for 7800 games, while both buttons behave like the single button of a standard atari joystick when connected to a 2600 (or in a 7800 when running a 2600 game).
The prolines and also the later cx78 gamepads (which are electrically the same), came packed in with Atari 2600 juniors sold in Europe.

01b.jpg.670868e0659983402265027c19811cb9.jpg

01.jpg.ccdf7760e39c0bceded42c8ce22e0d9b.jpg

02.jpg.468d29d5dec3520f072524ec70389592.jpg

04.jpg.1150dbf84ab1632aee3078493b555df8.jpg

06.jpg.0a9b0842a30fbc3c66fb7a32cda4a4a0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How did you do that? I just got the paddles from ebay (it should be fully tested) and they do not work. I tried left and right port, but nothing. Tried paddle games only.

Can it be faulty paddle? I cannot test it, cause I only have Flashback X and Retron 77, with neither of it paddles work.

Edited by Wizzard

Hi everyone, been on the fence on whether or not to buy the X.  New member, so just getting up to speed on everything Atari, and it's been a blast so far.

1.  Did we come to consensus on whether or not the paddles are playable?  I don't have paddles, but can start to look around to find some.

2.  I have the original flashback, which I've gathered is worth about a $1.50, so the X will be a nice big upgrade, especially with the mods.  However, I can't help but wonder if XI is around the corner with a stella update and a paddle fix.  Has the pattern been a new AFB model every year?

3.  Is the firmware on the X on a single chip that could be potentially be upgraded?  I ask because both my sons are EE majors, so we could look into some sort of chip upgrade if it's possible.  I have no experience here, just talking out loud out of curiosity.  

My family likes to play Breakout, and on the AFB it's not really easy with that jittery mini 7800 controller.  Thanks for any advice guys, appreciate it.  Everything I'm asking about I've learned in cramming the forums over the last few days, so hopefully not stupid questions.

2 minutes ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Yes they do but it's not 100% accurate

I saw that vid, doesn't seem like much of an improvement over what I have now.  I guess it comes down to, is it the stella version or is it the hardware of the AFBX?  Appreciate the reply, I understand that there may not be an answer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 12:15 PM, Bachelor boB said:

Do original Atari 2600 paddles jitter on the AFBX because of the AFBX or the condition of the paddles?  Unless the paddles are new/unused (old stock), it could just be the condition of the old controllers.

My classic paddles do jitter just from age however I find after I've played with them for ten minutes or so they respond great. But even after that much time, there's still the ever so slight lag I mention in my video with the FBX. It's not that bad though. Kaboom is tricky but other stuff like Breakout would be fine. They run pretty decently.