IGNORED

JEFF MINTER CLASSICS - LLAMATRON 2112 - SWEARING!

mart

For those of you considering spending $75 + import for this TOP game BE WARNED - as my ten year old son found out while 

playing LLAMATRON - at points when you get zapped the game shouts at you;

OH F~CK

this has ruined it for him (and me).....

Ive messaged ATARI AGE as there is NO Profanity warning etc & thats NOT OK....

Such a shame.....Great game RUINED by swearing......

EMAIL below - no reply received!

Mart 

Hi

Ive recd my games thank you - these are for me & my ten year old son to enjoy together!

Imagine my surprise when LLAMATRON said to him upon getting zapped OH F@CK!!

He was NOT impressed nor am I as there is NO graphic language warning anywhere & now we can't
play it as when he dies the game swears at him....

$75 for a gr8 game RUINED by profanity......

I would like a REFUND please & would suggest you put an 18+ or graphic language warning on the boxes.......

regards
cleardot.gif

detail_1109_Jaguar_Minter_Box_detail.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, you only wrote me yesterday and I'm in the middle of driving 1,000 miles on a road trip, which I why I didn't promptly respond.  Now that you've decided to be impatient and just post here, I'll respond here.  Also, gaztee had nothing to do with this release, so not sure why you tagged him.

I had never heard of this before and did a little bit of research.  After selling the game for over two years, this is the first time anyone has mentioned this.  Here's a page that goes into it in more detail:

https://codetapper.com/amiga/comedy/llamatron/

If you want to send it back, I'd be glad to give you a refund for the game.  I'm sure someone else will enjoy it.

..Al

• Like 5

I've know about this for ages from playing it on the Atari ST, while the game itself doesn't actually say the whole phrase you can make it swear by pressing pause at the right time. I say keep the game and don't let him play it for another 8 years. He'll be old enough then.

I'm not trying to be rude, but speaking as a father I am CERTAIN the child has heard swear words before. It's impossible to protect your children from words. Half of the shows on Netflix are littered with worse language than that. Also I could be mistaken, but I thought when I played the llamatron port on Jaguar it actually DIDN'T say the word, but made a sound effect in the middle of the word.  Regardless, to say that game is ruined just because of that seems a bit extreme to me. It's a good game. I suggest you reconsider returning it.

• Like 4

This thread reminded me that I need to buy a copy soon. Will need to wait at least a paycheck. Maybe I'll end up with it :)

I also thought there were plenty of videos and coverage online about the game's content, and most parents that are worried about such things would play a game, especially one without a rating on it, before letting their child do so. Even with rating systems, the ESRB and MPAA aren't exactly consistent and trustworthy to not miss something - especially if it requires a code etc to be seen. I remember Sega's pre-ESRB self-imposed rating system gave a GA (General Audiences) rating to Silpheed on Sega CD, which contained the line (in audio) "Shit! They got the carrier!".

I think it is safe to say that the vast majority here are adults, and we're getting games from an era before ratings existed - either direct ports, or new games made to seem like they are from that era and run on the hardware. There were plenty of games with some cursing or other mild adult content that didn't mention it on the box. When buying games here, I'd treat it like buying a game in 1985 - read what you can, check it out before letting your kid play if you're worried about such things.

Also, in general, parenting is entirely up to the individual, but I prefer preparing a child to deal with bad things in the world rather than walling them off from the fact that they exist. Make it a learning experience. For me, I could watch R rated movies from any age, but was warned if I used the language or behavior seen in them, that would stop, so I didn't. That's just me personally though, not trying to tell you how to raise a kid, just sharing some personal insight. The access to whatever I could find (including random stuff from BBS systems - my parents had no idea what the computer was doing, and I was running a BBS by 7th grade) - increased my interest in computers and led to my current career. They did set good examples elsewhere in life that I was able to apply to my own decisions when using the computer however, as I respected and valued their insight even when they weren't around.

Overall though, treat it like you're buying a game in 1984 when shopping here - with the added benefit of internet reviews, videos, and documentation to view beforehand. Also, unlike today, and more like 1984, Albert is letting you return an opened and used game, not a common option with games today, in large part due to the fact that so much info is available, as opposed to the early 80's when it was much more of a gamble and box art was about all you had to go on.

Been wondering why I was notified of this post but just saw it got moved - that makes a lot more sense, but yeah, no idea why this would be related to the Game Drive, which only a couple hundred people even have right now at most.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hastor said:

This thread reminded me that I need to buy a copy soon. Will need to wait at least a paycheck. Maybe I'll end up with it :)

I also thought there were plenty of videos and coverage online about the game's content, and most parents that are worried about such things would play a game, especially one without a rating on it, before letting their child do so. Even with rating systems, the ESRB and MPAA aren't exactly consistent and trustworthy to not miss something - especially if it requires a code etc to be seen. I remember Sega's pre-ESRB self-imposed rating system gave a GA (General Audiences) rating to Silpheed on Sega CD, which contained the line (in audio) "Shit! They got the carrier!".

I think it is safe to say that the vast majority here are adults, and we're getting games from an era before ratings existed - either direct ports, or new games made to seem like they are from that era and run on the hardware. There were plenty of games with some cursing or other mild adult content that didn't mention it on the box. When buying games here, I'd treat it like buying a game in 1985 - read what you can, check it out before letting your kid play if you're worried about such things.

Also, in general, parenting is entirely up to the individual, but I prefer preparing a child to deal with bad things in the world rather than walling them off from the fact that they exist. Make it a learning experience. For me, I could watch R rated movies from any age, but was warned if I used the language or behavior seen in them, that would stop, so I didn't. That's just me personally though, not trying to tell you how to raise a kid, just sharing some personal insight. The access to whatever I could find (including random stuff from BBS systems - my parents had no idea what the computer was doing, and I was running a BBS by 7th grade) - increased my interest in computers and led to my current career. They did set good examples elsewhere in life that I was able to apply to my own decisions when using the computer however, as I respected and valued their insight even when they weren't around.

Overall though, treat it like you're buying a game in 1984 when shopping here - with the added benefit of internet reviews, videos, and documentation to view beforehand. Also, unlike today, and more like 1984, Albert is letting you return an opened and used game, not a common option with games today, in large part due to the fact that so much info is available, as opposed to the early 80's when it was much more of a gamble and box art was about all you had to go on.

Been wondering why I was notified of this post but just saw it got moved - that makes a lot more sense, but yeah, no idea why this would be related to the Game Drive, which only a couple hundred people even have right now at most.

This complaint is like a first, period, for a Jag game. A gold star to the OP for managing to come up with an original kvetch about a Jaguar product in 2020! I think the rating suggestion is hilarious, and that new copies of the game should be made with it. I’d buy a copy, and the shirt too!

Note to Al:  We also need one for T2K (“yes, yes, YES!” is mighty suggestive) and Cybermorph (general unwarranted bitchiness). Protect the children!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Kobra Kai said:

Real life is R-rated. 

I don’t know what kind of boring “Real Life” you’re living in ;), but it’s definitely X-rated from where I sit. Or stand. Or... ok, I’ll stop lol 

Which reminds me, I haven’t worn my letter “R” (boxed) t-shirt to warn others to stay away lately. This must change starting immediately. I can’t even begin to count the number of F words that have already emitted from my mouth this year. Ok, I’ll make a guess.... probably 163, but that may be on the low side. This is a result of playing multiplayer war games however. Anger management is important in real life. 

• Like 1

It's actually Oh F*EXPLOSION* and not "Oh Fuck" -  There are worse things on the news, or said during an IKEA furnature assembly.

Unless, of course, you activate it by typing a name containging 'fuck' into the high score table.

Also, there are two other games on that cart that can be played.  However, please be advised that in order to get very far in them you have to shoot and murder innocent sprites, literally by the thousands. It's genocide in there. But then, Jeff's games have always been mind-altering. They are coming up on 30 years old now, so check out some reviews.

• Like 10

Most TVs have a volume or mute button....

Words don't get "my panties" in a bunch too often cuz they are just curse words. Use it as a teaching opportunity.

Another teaching opportunity is how to handle problems appropriately and not get "said panties" in a bunch over every little thing.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jeff Minter simply makes the games HE wants to play and are takes on games He has loved ( Tempest, Defender/Stargate, Robotron,Sinistar, Centipede etc) and he puts his unique personality into them.

When Unity ( Game Cube)  was being worked on, preview screens had floating messages with phrases like "Otter Spunk"  and the like.

Jeff has been doing his thing since day dot and your not talking a Sega or Nintendo type standard title..

As others have said,Llamatron has been a pretty established title from Jeff to be honest and there exists plenty of discussion on it and YT has plenty of footage of it, so any potential customer can get a sound idea of if it is for them and suitable for to be played with or by their kids.

Any child is going to hear an awful lot worse walking past building sites or roadworks etc.

It's simply part of everyday life.

Is this post a joke? It reads like a parody complaint letter to a newspaper about a video nasty via 1984. 
Your experience has been ruined by one swear word? Give me strength! You need to get a life and join the real world.

I cannot believe Albert is being gracious enough to refund you because of this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2