IGNORED

JEFF MINTER CLASSICS - LLAMATRON 2112 - SWEARING!

mart

13 hours ago, JagChris said:

Llamatron is a blast. It would be awesome if Minter would even just tweak the source and put in some Jag enhancements, numpad support or dual controller. Tweaked graphics. 

Back in Summer 1992, Jeff was quoted as doing a "Super Llamatron Job" for what sounded like Atari..

He talked of game having 4 guns around the edge of a screen, which could be used to shoot and thus move a puck, puck would kill things when it hit them.

Anyone know what title he was commenting on?

It sounded like souped-up Gridrunner,  but he's described that in past as being influenced by Centipede,  so i am a little confused here.

Edited by Lost Dragon

3 hours ago, Kobra Kai said:

LOL that looks insane! So if you control the 4 guns, I wonder what the control scheme was?

Looks to me like the guns on opposite sides are mirrored. So they move opposite directions.

This means you'd only need left/right for the horizontal guns and up/down for the vertical ones.

I can't believe this is a serious complaint in this day and age.  I can remember back to elementary school where a kid was boasting about how he renamed the drivers in n64 waverace with names like f..khead and all us boys were like "damn how scandalous, that is so cool". This was in a white collar suburb. 

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I can't believe this is a serious complaint in this day and age.  I can remember back to elementary school where a kid was boasting about how he renamed the drivers in n64 waverace with names like f..khead and all us boys were like "damn how scandalous, that is so cool". This was in a white collar suburb. 

First thing we did as kids in every text adventure was type in swear words :-)) 

Tau Ceti killed the game if you typed in a swear word on C64 :-)) 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 11:59 PM, mart said:

For those of you considering spending $75 + import for this TOP game BE WARNED - as my ten year old son found out while 

playing LLAMATRON - at points when you get zapped the game shouts at you;

OH F~CK

this has ruined it for him (and me).....

To reiterate what's already been said in this thread and to offer some clarification:

• It's not a complete swear word and Jeff intentionally stopped it with the explosion sound.
  • There's a version called 'Rude Llamatron' where this sweary (and others?) play in full. This acknowledges that the original version of the game is self-censored.
  • The above can be verified in online videos and historical reviews of the game from back in the day.
  • If your kid recognises a shortened / edited version of a swear word, then I'm sure he's heard the full word in the playground or at home...I'm a school teacher, they know the words at a young age...it's knowing when it's appropriate (or not) to use said words that's important. I swear like a trooper IRL, but never in the classrooms where I teach for seven hours a day. Go figure...
  • Volume control, checking a game out by doing parental due diligence beforehand etc.
  • All that aside, it's an immensely playable game, you're doing yourself and your son a disservice in terms of learning gameplay skills and experience one of the best twitch/zone games ever.
Edited by skip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:58 AM, JagChris said:

It does look insane but I don't think it would be that fun to play. I think he outdone himself with the offbeat there.

It's a lot of fun to play, albeit in short demo form with level balance incomplete.

Mouse left/right moves one of the top/bottom guns left and the other right. Mouse up/down moves one of the side guns up and the other down. It's wonderfully intuitive, smooth as silk (at least on an Atari TT030 ;) ), and requires the user to keep an eye on the whole screen. It could've been a great zone game had it been completed...

As an aside: I made a demo game for my students years ago having the left / bottom 'guns' move in a similar fashion. I never got around to doing the top / right aspects like Jeff did (or maybe I did, but disabled it, it was a copy / paste / minor edit job). Now that I don't use that language or IDE, but will have to learn a few new ones this year, I may go back to making something similar in a tutorial for them (and me as I learn new languages).

• Like 1

I understand the OP's concern. I would have been disappointed if I purchased this to play with my son also. I totally get that he's heard all of those words on a regular basis and it's not that big of deal (to hear). However, that doesn't mean that I don't care what language and/or graphic content is in a game (or song, etc) just because he's been exposed to it before, especially if he's only 10 years old. I can understand asking for a refund or an exchange for another game. It did ruin it for them, even if it's not a big deal in most other contexts. I would have waited longer for a response from Al but I've been around for a bunch of years. Seems like it's resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

• Like 3

I guess I do understand the OPs concern. And it is good that the issue is getting resolved. I just wish he would give the game another chance as out of all of those ST ports that one happens to be one of my favorites. It really is a good game, and until now I hadn't even noticed the oh "F$#k!" to be honest. With that said, fatherhood is really REALLY hard sometimes, and if he has a son who actually takes issue with such a thing, then it seems like hes doing a pretty good job afterall! Kudos to Mart!

Just my humble opinion, but through his life the boy is going to hear plenty of blue language coming from other people, movies, TV etc.

If he is truly offended by hearing "Oh, F-(Ka-boom)" then it might be a wise idea to educate him and help him learn how to cope with his shocked eardrums.

What will he do if he watches a Quentin Tarentino movie?  Pass out from the overwhelming shock of all the swearing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, ls650 said:

What will he do if he watches a Quentin Tarentino movie? 

Might just ask... ?

Why the f#ck can't this f#cking guy produce a f#cking movie that doesn't f#ck with the f#cking order of the f#cking scenes in relation to their f#cking timelines?!  

• Haha 2