IGNORED

Atari Wifi Modem

AtariGeezer

This is the latest project for the Atari that I've Been working on.

The Atari Wifi Modem (or #AtaWiModem for short).

Currently supports Full 850 Emulation with internal Booter and Handler code.

Works with many terminal programs such as Amodem, BobTerm and the Express! Cart
 (Which I highly recommend).  The Express! Cart can handle 9600 Baud rather reliably
where other terminal programs can not do.

After booting the Fuji Board, press <Return> and you'll be shown a "->" Prompt.
From here you can type "HELP" or "AT?" (Without Quotes) to display two different menus.

The "SCAN" command will show you a list of nearby WiFi Access Points,  this list will
show you the [Channel], (Signal Level), SSID and either an asterisk "*" if the connection
is Secure or "!" if it is Open.

You can then type "NET# (Number on List)" followed by an <optional> Password depending upon
the AP having a Secure or Open connection.  You can also just type "PASS (Your Password) to
store the Password temporarily.

#AtaWiModem also has a PhoneBook to store your favorite BBS #'s that can be displayed by
the "ATL" command.

As shown in the pictures below, you can see some of the screens that are used.

For the 850 Emulation, the next thing I'll be testing is File Transfers and then Add and Test
BBS Support from AMIS, Express, Express Pro, FoReM and FoReM XEP.  This should cover most
types of BBS's used on the Atari 8-Bits.

After the 850 Emulation is fully tested,  I'll finish the Client side of TNFS.

One feature I'll be adding soon is #IRC Chat ?

Other protocols that can be easily added would be POP3, IMAP and SMTP email support.
(I already have these coded on Windows using the WinSock API's...)

Jay

AtaWiModem0.jpg

AtaWiModem0a.jpg

AtaWiModem1.jpg

AtaWiModem2.jpg

AtaWiModem3.jpg

AtaWiModem.ino.esp32.bin AtaWiModem.ino.esp32thing.bin

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 12

I've already beaten that horse to death in this thread and the other about the talking points.

Let's just move forward on this :)

Two things I haven't mentioned is that while connected to a BBS, you can go back into command mode by temporarily pressing the Flash/Program Button. The Blue LED will indicate this :)

Also in the works is accessing a WiFi Enabled Printer ;)

• Like 1

Do I understand correctly, that all I need is an ESPxx connected to the SIO support and your software? That´ll be cool, as this would be a very simple and inexpensive solution.

I´m already testing my ESP with Mr. Atari´s LiteDos, which in general works, but I need to make a better SIO-plug for it. Right now I´ve just loosely soldered four wires directly to the SIO-port... ;)

45 minutes ago, skr said:

Do I understand correctly, that all I need is an ESPxx connected to the SIO support and your software? That´ll be cool, as this would be a very simple and inexpensive solution.

I´m already testing my ESP with Mr. Atari´s LiteDos, which in general works, but I need to make a better SIO-plug for it. Right now I´ve just loosely soldered four wires directly to the SIO-port... ;)

I think this is the latest diagram for the Esp32.

AtariWiFi GPIO Table - ESP32.pdf

Good news :)

Tonight I'll be testing the APE Time code I've added a few days ago, the Server code is ready for testing a BBS and in a couple of days I'll have a companion ready for a BBS Server / TNFS Server or what have you.  It's using the onboard SD Card as a SIO2SD device that will have 9 virtual drives and can use the Flash / Boot Button to rotate drives :)

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, AtariGeezer said:

This is the latest project for the Atari that I've Been working on.

The Atari Wifi Modem (or #AtaWiModem for short).

Currently supports Full 850 Emulation with internal Booter and Handler code.

Works with many terminal programs such as Amodem, BobTerm and the Express! Cart
 (Which I highly recommend).  The Express! Cart can handle 9600 Baud rather reliably
where other terminal programs can not do.

I actually found that the latest version of BobTerm performs the best of the bunch at 9600 baud. When I used the Express Cart! to connect to Part-Time BBS and the Basement BBS, I noticed some buffer overloads with some of the ATASCII screens/movies. Another good test is the 'W'ho's called command (which dumps the last 50 callers to the BBS). 

-JP

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 2:40 PM, JohnPolka said:

I actually found that the latest version of BobTerm performs the best of the bunch at 9600 baud. When I used the Express Cart! to connect to Part-Time BBS and the Basement BBS, I noticed some buffer overloads with some of the ATASCII screens/movies. Another good test is the 'W'ho's called command (which dumps the last 50 callers to the BBS). 

-JP

I get complete dropouts with bobterm above 2400, which version are you using?

On call logs, don't all callers show a connection at 9600 baud when using the lantronix devices on the BBS???

19 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

I get complete dropouts with bobterm above 2400, which version are you using?

On call logs, don't all callers show a connection at 9600 baud when using the lantronix devices on the BBS???

The call logs for BBS Express Pro! when it's connected to the Internet, show the baud rate on the BBS side. So, if the BBS' Internet device is locked at 9600, the call log will show every caller connecting at 9600. Incidentally, Alcatraz BBS is locked at 4800 baud. So, it appears everyone who connects to Alcatraz are connecting at 4800 baud.

As for the BobTerm test...

I just tried it again....So, I used version 1.20 of BobTerm (I think the last version was 1.21 -- but I could only find 1.20 for this test).

I connected to Part-Time BBS and first tried the 'W'hos called list. I also tried the "Jazz (Basement Cat)" ATASCII slide show. The Express Cart gets buffer overflows on both of these two BBS features.

With BobTerm, I get a perfect display when I use a P:R: Connection connected to the Lantronx or when I use an MIO connected to the Lantronix.

When I use an 850, I experience some buffer overflowing on the ATASCII slide show. However, it was pretty minor compared to the Express Cart. When I ran the ATASCII slide show, I could still make most of it out. With the Express Cart, you could not make out big portions of the ATASCII slide show. I did not get any buffer overflows on the 'W'hos called list with the 850 and BobTerm.

In summary, it looks like BobTerm works best with a P:R: Connection or with an MIO. Despite the Express Cart's shortcomings, I still like its ease of use and convenience of being on a cartridge. It still does a great job for most BBS sessions.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

44 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello John

Lastest version of BobTerm is 1.23, but on a real Atari, 1.22 works best.

Sincerely

Mathy

Thanks...I found version 1.21 and saw the same results as version 1.20. What is the difference between version 1.22 and 1.23?

48 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

Thanks...I found version 1.21 and saw the same results as version 1.20. What is the difference between version 1.22 and 1.23?

Not sure of the details, but IIRC, 1.23 is said to work better on an emulated Atari. Use 1.22 on the real thing.

What we need to have fixed is CP.BTM module for the latest SDX. It was hard coded for an old (4.2x) version of SDX.

Command prompt in BobTerm no longer works with recent SDX versions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Atari WiFi Modem v0.3 update.

This update includes support for SIO2SD, plus more Hayes AT Commands that allow comm programs such as FoReM XE BBS that test each AT command for a valid response in text or numeric format depending on V0 or V1 settings.

To configure the SIO2SD, you'll need to place the CnfgTool.atr in the SD Card's Root Directory.  Then when you power up the fujinet board, you'll see the blue LED light up for a few seconds before it goes out. You have to press the Program/Flash Button before it goes out to boot the cnfgtool.atr.

When the Atari WiFi Modem has completed it's Initialization, the blue LED will blink twice...

After booting up your Atari, you can press the Program/Flash Button to rotate Drives 1 to 4.  The blue LED will blink indicating which emulated Drive is in Slot #1.  So the first time you press it, it will blink twice indicating D2: is now in D1: ...

The SIO2SD supports up to 8 ATR / XFD  images that can be configured using the CnfgTool.atr.  After DOS loads, press L to load a binary file, then SIOV20.XEX...

Today I connected to Kyle's BBS using Bobterm 1.22 and was able to download a 16k cart file @ 19.2k successfully :)

Jay
  • Like 4