Rev

Super Mario Bros on Intellivision

Since SMB was ported to the Atari 2600 (Princess Rescue), of course it can be done even better on the Intellivision. Very nice.

Straight up ridiculous. Wow. If you’re not excited about the upcoming games for the Inty you’re not paying attention. Get your sh*t together kids. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

Get your sh*t together kids.

Is that also aimed at other IntyBASIC developers who aren't nearly as talented as this guy proves time after another? 😛

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Is that also aimed at other IntyBASIC developers who aren't nearly as talented as this guy proves time after another? 😛

Lol! Just to be clear, I'm celebrating all the programmers and asking the fans who may have missed what's going on with the Inty to give all of you talented folks props for the cool things you're creating for our favourite system. 👍🏻😎

• Like 6

I wonder what amazing things could happen if he took an outrageous project like say, “Shadow of the Beast” and took a stab at it 🙂

• Like 1

While I have to admit that I have never been interested in the Super Mario Bros. games (so sue me...), I certainly am blown away by the skill it took to produce this, and will buy a copy just to bask in the display of talent. Outstanding!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I wonder what amazing things could happen if he took an outrageous project like say, “Shadow of the Beast” and took a stab at it 🙂

Shadow of the beast I think it quite a ways out of the realm of what's possible on the Intellivision.   Fake parallax effects can certainly be done, but getting around those gigantic sprites is a whole other story.   The Master System surprisingly had a pretty faithful looking port for an 8-bit version on older hardware.   As far as Amiga games go, I was tempted to try mocking up Flashback.  Cutscenes aside, the core gameplay seems like a good fit for the Intellivision.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Loafer said:

What other games have been made by this dev?

I am the one that is working on this.   So far I haven't made many actual games yet besides some various proof of concepts that you can see in the other videos.   My biggest project is Intellivania, which is now "finished" , however I still am still testing the game and making slight adjustments.   In the programming forum, I have uploaded a few simple game demos and some source code that can be downloaded and played on an LTO flash or emulator.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Absolutely incredible! 😮 Hope this Quietly gets released somehow.

Nintendo certainly has a reputation for C&D's on every homage to a Nintendo IP.

Maybe they won't notice if the game is released under a completely original name.  "Outstanding Italian Siblings" , and "Super Intelligent Bros" should slip right past Nintendo's legal team LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, skywaffle said:

My biggest project is Intellivania, which is now "finished" , however I still am still testing the game and making slight adjustments.

Look forward to Intellivania finished and available (on sale). Great game!

2 hours ago, skywaffle said:

I am the one that is working on this.   So far I haven't made many actual games yet besides some various proof of concepts that you can see in the other videos.   My biggest project is Intellivania, which is now "finished" , however I still am still testing the game and making slight adjustments.   In the programming forum, I have uploaded a few simple game demos and some source code that can be downloaded and played on an LTO flash or emulator.

Well color me Impressed, I’ll have to hunt down those videos/etc. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Cafeman said:

Wow. What ROM size?   I've read the NES version was under 40k. 

The NES game was very clever in design.   My object code currently uses 4 bytes per object in comparison to 2 bytes per object on the NES.  The NES also can draw objects with width, I believe up to one screen wide, off screen.  In my engine, each "object" is only 1 gram wide, so it becomes wasteful with repeating strips of blocks.  It is not nearly as compact as the NES game, and currently weighs 30kb as is, with 5 stages, and two songs, and lots missing.   I may be able to condense things more, however I don't want to impact performance too much from decoding values.   I also am trying to keep level design somewhat easy to achieve without a real level editor.

• Like 10