IGNORED

Boom Bang (HES) Mystery

Thomas Jentzsch

The known ROM of Boom Bang (HES) clearly contains Motocross too. But there is no way to get Motocross running (without altering the ROM that is). There is some bank switch code inside, but this code cannot work. For other, similar HES multicarts they changed the code.

However there are reports (see comments in the link) that people were able to start Motocross. So I am almost 100% sure there must be a 2nd, different ROM existing which has not been dumped yet. 

So if you have this cart (not the one with the menu) in your collection, please check if you can start Motocross using the right difficulty switch or not and report your results here. 

Using the switches won't work...the code at $FFF6 to $FFF8 (in both banks) reads BIT.w $00F6 (2C F6 00) instead of what I suspect was supposed to be JMP $F000 (4C 00 F0).  Then both games are accessible based on the position of the difficulty switch when powering up the cartridge.

Couldn't you get there via "frying"?  That ought to lead to a random address in a random bank, right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nukey Shay said:

Using the switches won't work...the code at $FFF6 to $FFF8 (in both banks) reads BIT.w $00F6 (2C F6 00) instead of what I suspect was supposed to be JMP $F000 (4C 00 F0).  Then both games are accessible based on the position of the difficulty switch when powering up the cartridge.

Couldn't you get there via "frying"?  That ought to lead to a random address in a random bank, right?

Yes, I know the code doesn't work (BTW: Fractions of the code can be found at the same place in the menu cart too). But there have been reports that some carts allowed playing Motocross. Frying might be one possibility, a fixed ROM would be the other one. 

And yes, the multicard with a menu works perfectly, but that one is using completely different code.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to check the code again. It could depend on the hardware used. Some regular carts always start always in the same and some in a random bank.

Edit: Nope, the dumped ROM will always jump to Boom Bang.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 9:50 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I have to check the code again. It could depend on the hardware used. Some regular carts always start always in the same and some in a random bank.

Edit: Nope, the dumped ROM will always jump to Boom Bang.

Ok, I'm going to change the notes of these HES games.

Can any of them startup with the UNadvertised game on real hardware?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter