IGNORED

Retro Games That Help With Anxiety

Nintendo64

Id like to add another game to the list. I think that Hot Wheels Extreme Racing for the PS1 is a good game to help relieve some anxiety. I like how you transform from a car to boat, then from a boat to plane while trying to win the race. It is a really fun game to play because you go from the ground, to the sea, then to the air all on the same track. I would definitely recommend this game as for I feel like it helps relieve a little anxiety.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just want to add another game to the list. I think that Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti for the famicom is a great game to help relieve some anxiety. It is a cartoon adaptation of the Splatterhouse series, and it has some very comical aspects to it. It has many portrayals of 70's/80's horror genera, but is very fun to pick up and play. I feel like this is a good game to help relieve some anxiety.

I highly recommend the bit Generations series for GBA for anxiety mitigation, particularly Orbital, Dotstream, and Soundvoyager (an audio only game!): http://michibiku.com/bit-generations-series-import-treasure/

I truly believe Orbital to be in the running for best Game Boy Advance game. Given that the WiiWare version is no longer available through legal means, I think it's fair to call it an exclusive.

Dialhex and Coloris (not at ALL playable for colorblind people) can get kinda frantic, but the music does a tremendous amount to make up for it. Digidrive is stressful at first, but once you understand the loop it can be really effective.

The ArtStyle series for DSiWare (which is still available) reprised Digidrive, and has some really great games, but they tend to be more stressful.

Boundish is variations on a theme of Pong, some pretty good, some pretty not. Interesting but hard to recommend for this topic.

Edited by jgkspsx
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I highly recommend the bit Generations series for GBA for anxiety mitigation, particularly Orbital, Dotstream, and Soundvoyager (an audio only game!): http://michibiku.com/bit-generations-series-import-treasure/

I truly believe Orbital to be in the running for best Game Boy Advance game. Given that the WiiWare version is no longer available through legal means, I think it's fair to call it an exclusive.

Dialhex and Coloris (not at ALL playable for colorblind people) can get kinda frantic, but the music does a tremendous amount to make up for it. Digidrive is stressful at first, but once you understand the loop it can be really effective.

The ArtStyle series for DSiWare (which is still available) reprised Digidrive, and has some really great games, but they tend to be more stressful.

Boundish is variations on a theme of Pong, some pretty good, some pretty not. Interesting but hard to recommend for this topic.

Thanks for your input. This games musical sound is hypnotizing/relaxing. I will definitely look into playing this game, and thanks again for the suggestion.

• Like 2

It's not 'relaxing' (in the traditional sense) but the way I zone out in certain specific types of racing games is difficult to describe, and might be good for anxiety. Well, it is for me, anyway. It feels more like how they describe hypnotism. I set extra laps, stare farther down the road, and just kind of zone out for lengthy periods of time.

Important factors in choosing a zone-out racing game:

• The fewer other cars on track the better, and any AI must move predictably. 
  • No weapons or rubber-banding (intended to keep racing "exciting," but I want predictable)
  • A focus on beating a personal best over racing the other cars.
  • High contrast graphics making it clear where the track goes (as opposed to struggling to see). Futuristic games tend to do especially well for this.
  • Ability to stay on the track for lengthy periods at a go, at least 5min, but I usually like to go 15+ min.
  • Very predictable physics (they don't have to be 'accurate' but just consistent)
  • Most games have time trial/ghost systems, but I usually do stick with the main game modes.
  • Good music without lyrics is welcome.

Then I just zone out and do my laps. When I get to the end I tend to start up exactly the same race and do it all again.

My personal 'highway hypnosis' playlist:

• Virtua Racing, especially the (unloved Saturn version) which has longer races. (switch version does okay but races are shorter)
  • San Francisco Rush 2049 (turn sound lower, music up, increase laps, DC version is clearer than N64)
  • Gran Turismo series (the popstar sountrack needs turned off)
  • V-rally 3's GBA port (for relaxation on the go)
  • Riptide GP2 for the android gamer.
Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

On 11/28/2020 at 1:14 PM, Reaperman said:

San Francisco Rush 2049 (turn sound lower, music up, increase laps, DC version is clearer than N64)

This was a very good suggestion. I was able to play it on the Dreamcast and your right it is a relaxing game to play

On 11/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, jgkspsx said:

And of course Electroplankton is essentially a digital anti-anxiety medication:

This looks like a very interesting game to play, and the sounds are relaxing. Thanks for the suggestion, I hopefully cant try that out one day.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

This was a very good suggestion. I was able to play it on the Dreamcast and your right it is a relaxing game to play

Yeah, and you wouldn't think, right? Earlier today I spent nearly 2 hrs doing 8-lap races in it. I think that one has to be my absolute favorite of the zone-out titles because of the Barry Leitch soundtrack and the moon-like jump physics. But a couple of the tracks/cars are considerably less relaxing ;)

There is a bit of a difficulty cliff as far as learning how not-to explode, which is where I think a lot of people give up on 2049.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

This looks like a very interesting game to play, and the sounds are relaxing. Thanks for the suggestion, I hopefully cant try that out one day.

If you have a 3DS, the individual plankton are up on the eShop. They’re all great, but Volvoice, Rec Rec, and Beatnes are more toys that don’t match the spirit of the enterprise so well. Luminaria, Hanenbow, Sun-Animalcule, Trapy, Lumiloop, and Marine Crystals are my favorites.

Edited by jgkspsx

Some of the recent games posted made me think of this:  0RBITALIS on Steam (steampowered.com) and this: Orbt XL on Steam (steampowered.com).  These are kind of arcade-y and have you chase a score which ends up possibly being less relaxing, but I know there are some over there on Steam that I am forgetting.  I may post more from Steam later.

Floating Point on Steam (steampowered.com)

On 12/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, wongojack said:

Some of the recent games posted made me think of this:  0RBITALIS on Steam (steampowered.com) and this: Orbt XL on Steam (steampowered.com).  These are kind of arcade-y and have you chase a score which ends up possibly being less relaxing, but I know there are some over there on Steam that I am forgetting.  I may post more from Steam later.

Floating Point on Steam (steampowered.com)

I just looked at some videos on youtube, and they all do look like interesting and relaxing games. I don't actually have a steam account because I never really play games on pc unless I'm emulating for older systems. Maybe I can find these games on PS4 though, either way thank you for your suggestions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add another game to the list. I think that Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 is a good game to help relive anxiety, but only if I use allot of save states. If I didn't have save states though, I wouldn't feel that this is an anxiety relieving game, as for I would have to repeat many parts over and over again. Maybe it has something to do with the stealth movements and walking around and exploring in this game, but either way I think this is a good game to help relieve some anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to edit my list entry to the list. I think that Metal Gear Solid is a good game to help relieve some anxiety, but I feel that the volume needs to be turned down for the most part of the game. I think that the volume should be turned up for the cut scenes and on the codec scenes, although it is nice that there is closed caption option if you feel like reading through the story line as well. I feel that the music in this game is anxiety inducing, and it is best to listen to your own personal music collection while playing this game.

Edited by Nintendo64

16 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Have you tried Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei? If you have a Saturn, you should absolutely try both of these games.

I have never tried these games as for I don't have the Saturn. They look like really good games that kind of remind me of Star Fox 64, although I could be wrong. If I ever get the Sega Saturn I will definitely try out these games. Thank you for your suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

Edited by Nintendo64

4 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I have never tried these games as for I don't have the Saturn. They look like really good games that kind of remind me of Star Fox 64, although I could be wrong. If I ever get the Sega Saturn I will definitely try out these games. Thank you for your suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

You absolutely need to try these games. If nothing else, Panzer Dragoon has a Red Book soundtrack (Zwei doesn't, as it uses the Saturn's sound chip for pretty much everything), so put the disc in your computer and listen to the music.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of the best 3D shooting games available. I'm not just making that up, either; it actually says that on the game disc itself, which means it absolutely has to be true.

external-content.duckduckgo_com.thumb.jpg.e84eea338fde9b42aaec42e3bba66775.jpg

I'm not sure what (if any) modern systems you have, but Panzer Dragoon has a fairly decent remake on PC, Switch, PS4, and I think Xbox One. Zwei's remake is in development right now with no information on it other than an announcement saying that they are working on it. I can't really explain it properly, but the remake isn't as good as the original game. The game unfortunately doesn't play as well as the original version does because the remake's targeting system isn't as responsive as it is in the original version, but it should still be a decent substitute until you can play the real thing, although I'm not sure if the remake would have the same sort of impact if you've not played the original version first.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

18 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You absolutely need to try these games. If nothing else, Panzer Dragoon has a Red Book soundtrack (Zwei doesn't, as it uses the Saturn's sound chip for pretty much everything), so put the disc in your computer and listen to the music.

Thank you so much for that information. If I don't get to play this game in the near future, I will definitely listen to the soundtrack. Hopefully one day I will be able to play the original game, as for like you said it is more has more responsive controls. Thanks again and I will let you know when I get a chance to listen to the music.

Edited by Nintendo64

• 3 weeks later...

Got a call in the middle of the work day that a close family member was terminally ill.  Couldn't skip out of work.   The only thing that kept me level headed was the music from James Pond 2.

Nothing can stop the happy vibes from that soundtrack.  I hope others find their "happy tunes" and use it as a tool for bummer times.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 4:44 PM, mbd30 said:

Battletoads will help with a lack of anxiety.

I will need to try that game out. I really haven't put in that much time over the years into Battletoads, but I will give it a shot. Thank you for your suggestion for games that might help relieve some anxiety.

On 1/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, Gemintronic said:

Got a call in the middle of the work day that a close family member was terminally ill.  Couldn't skip out of work.   The only thing that kept me level headed was the music from James Pond 2.

Nothing can stop the happy vibes from that soundtrack.  I hope others find their "happy tunes" and use it as a tool for bummer times.

I'm sorry to hear about the tough times you are going through. It is always difficult to deal with someone close to you that is very sick, and it is a sad/anxiety inducing time. I really need to try that game out, as for I have the sega genesis version. Is that the game your talking about?

Again I'm sorry to hear about your family member.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I will need to try that game out. I really haven't put in that much time over the years into Battletoads, but I will give it a shot. Thank you for your suggestion for games that might help relieve some anxiety.

I'm sorry to hear about the tough times you are going through. It is always difficult to deal with someone close to you that is very sick, and it is a sad/anxiety inducing time. I really need to try that game out, as for I have the sega genesis version. Is that the game your talking about?

Again I'm sorry to hear about your family member.

I appreciate the thoughts.  It was actually many years ago.  That event - thankfully buffered by James Pond 2 - prepared me for further situations down the road.  So, came out stronger.

James Pond 2 is kind of little a recognized sleeper hit that exists on tons of platforms.  PC, GBA, GB, C64, PSX, Playstation 2 and more!  The particular soundtrack mentioned was from the Amiga version.  My go to version is on the genesis though the SNES arguably is better.  The Playstation 2 version is growing on me.

18 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

I appreciate the thoughts.  It was actually many years ago.  That event - thankfully buffered by James Pond 2 - prepared me for further situations down the road.  So, came out stronger.

My go to version is on the genesis though the SNES arguably is better. 

I am really glad to hear that you became a stronger person in the long run of life, I think that is something that people with anxiety all seem to strive for.

I have just played a little of James Pond 2 and James Pond 3 for the sega genesis and they both seem like fun games. Your right about the music in James Pond 2 being really uplifting. James Pond 3, although I only played it for a little while reminded me of Sonic due to the speed of the character. Thank you so much for your suggestions, I hope they will help people relieve some anxiety, even if it is just a little bit.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 4:44 PM, mbd30 said:

Battletoads will help with a lack of anxiety.

Ahh I just saw the word "lack", lol. Its funny though, you'd be surprised that sometimes difficult games can help relieve some anxiety because it you can get more submersed in the game. The trick, at least for me, is is to use allot of save states in those very difficult games.