• sears tele-games black boxes
    • intellivision's genre coded boxes
    • Bally astrocade's blister packs
    • Odyssey 2
    • sears telegames intellivision red boxes
    • Odyssey
    • Telstar arcade

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

"Bally astrocade's blister packs" ??? What the @!#$%?  Why use the the original Bally (Bally, not Astrovision) example and not the beautiful gold boxes they changed over to?  Hands down best packaging: metallic gold coloring, beautiful artwork on the game manual which also doubled as the box cover & artwork, and it opened from the rear without having to damage the box top (course it could have used some velcro on the back to keep the boxed closed...).

No option to select the Odyssey wideboxes? Hrrmph.

Well, I picked the Studio II boxes. Not just because I'm partial to the system, but because they're the best of those listed. They have the thickest and sturdiest cardboard, they fit the cartridges perfectly without wasting space, they're very durable, they're properly color coded by genre, easy to replace if necessary, and there really isn't anything bad to be said about them. The game boxes also have a distinct, consistent, and classic visual look that allows them to be readily identifiable at a distance.

Of those listed above, the gold Bally boxes are by far the worst. They didn't even bother making proper boxes- they all have a big hole in front. The manual doubles as part of the box. CHEAP!!!

VGCL had an excellent overview of this exact subject some time ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111221214029/http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/art-box-NA.htm

17 minutes ago, Blazing Lazers said:

No option to select the Odyssey wideboxes? Hrrmph.

Well, I picked the Studio II boxes. Not just because I'm partial to the system, but because they're the best of those listed. They have the thickest and sturdiest cardboard, they fit the cartridges perfectly without wasting space, they're very durable, they're properly color coded by genre, easy to replace if necessary, and there really isn't anything bad to be said about them. The game boxes also have a distinct, consistent, and classic visual look that allows them to be readily identifiable at a distance.

Of those listed above, the gold Bally boxes are by far the worst. They didn't even bother making proper boxes- they all have a big hole in front. The manual doubles as part of the box. CHEAP!!!

VGCL had an excellent overview of this exact subject some time ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111221214029/http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/art-box-NA.htm

Yeah, but some of the boxes really don’t fit the manual very well at all.

Mattel Intellivision boxes are my favorite, but Odyssey2 are objectively the best overall. Especially when it comes to build quality and overall structural design. None of my O2 boxes has flattened abd they can stand uo certically without support. The artwork is not only consistently high quality, the stylized designs have become timeless.

• Like 1

It's really hard to beat the overall look of the Odyssey 2. As far as pre1980 systems go the Odyssey 2 looks the most impressive (not just the boxes and artwork but even the look of the console). Heck, even the carts had a very aesthetically pleasing look to them. Very futuristic look for the time.

• Like 2

I regret that the Videopac version only for those bland, non-glossy labels. The artwork tho is very cool in that "hyper-realist" style, unlike the US type (which is really great too).

Philips console boxes were bland but Radiola (French brand that actually made Videopac) had more colorful boxes, not unlike US ones.

s-l1600.jpg

Catapulte.jpg

24.jpg

I voted Odyssey 2. Glossy boxes, full color inside and out, consistent art style. Plus you could tell when someone looked at the game manual because they'd leave fingerprints all over it. 

That said, there's something charming about the variety and heterogeneity of Atari 2600 games once you have a bunch of third party games. 

I kept all my boxes until threw them all away to save space. Kept manuals and cartridges. Choose my punishment. 

I voted for Intellivision because of the overall quality of its packaging--the gatefold box, the pocket for overlays and manual, and the white plastic tray for the cart. BITD, it gave off a mature "deluxe" vibe that escaped 2600 games and only seemed passe with the advent of the wonderful, audacious Colecovision game boxes.

But I wanted to vote for Channel F and its absolutely 70s retro Peter Max artwork vibe. My friend had a Channel F, and the chunky, colorful carts made it more fun to play the games (or at least anticipate playing them).

21 hours ago, boxpressed said:

But I wanted to vote for Channel F and its absolutely 70s retro Peter Max artwork vibe. My friend had a Channel F, and the chunky, colorful carts made it more fun to play the games (or at least anticipate playing them).

Channel F boxes artistically remind me of that kids '70s program Electric Company.

• Like 2