IGNORED

Wonder if they'll ever clean up .ini hierarchy in mame?

Keatah

Wonder if they'll ever clean up .ini hierarchy and functionality in mame?

It's over-tedious, doesn't work correctly, and doesn't make sense. And this post just illustrates one of 4 aspects gone wrong. There's more I'm sure - but this is a start. https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/48830-game-settings-wont-save-if-i-use-the-ini-folder/

I've only tried redirecting the roms and ctrlr directories.  The roms folder worked fine.  Changing the ctrlr folder gave me trouble so I left the default location.  I haven't tried moving the ini folder, and that's where the mame.ini file is for me.  Mameui puts some other ini files in the mame root, maybe the guy in that link is mixing them up.  Are you having any specific issue with ini files?

Edited by mr_me

Ohh..simple.. Mame won't save HLSL/GLSL/BGFX slider options to a game-specific .ini file.You have to edit them manually. Tedious. I would think by now they got their act together and completed a save function rather than fucking around with emulating obscure microcontrolles and thermostats. For how long now has mame had effects sliders?

Mame saves game-specific .ini files to the root no matter what inipath is specified in the initial (1st read pass) of mame.ini file. This seems a more pertinent issue to get fixed as opposed to fixing bugs on some ridiculous 1-game handheld fruit machine that's incomplete still.

• Like 1

Yeah, I ran into that issue of having to manually edit the bgfx shader (chains file) because MAME won't save in game.  And also for console games if I switch port device, like emulate a 2600 and switch from joystick to paddle, then going back to joystick the keystrokes revert back to the defaults!

I use the ini for seperate settings for console systems, and also use them to point to .cfg files stored in a seperate subdirectory.  That way I can have a "pause" button on my gamepad for arcade games, but for consoles it's the standard Start button...

• Like 1