IGNORED

FTP To Original Xbox?

Tempest

I have a soft modded Xbox running XBMC that I'd like to add some stuff to.  However I can't remember how to set it up so I can FTP over to it.  Currently I have the Xbox connected to my router via a regular ethernet cable.  I set the IP address to 192.168.0.15, mask to 255.255.255.0, gateway to 192.168.0.1 and DNS to 192.168.0.1.  However when I try to ping the IP it fails and FTP via Filezilla also fails (I believe the port is 21 and there's no user name (I set the password)).

Any ideas?  All the guides I can find seem to either be for a different dashboard to say use a crossover cable which I know you don't have to do.  I did this before and it worked but I'm fuzzy on the details.

Yes I'm in the network section of the dashboard.  I'm not sure if I need to set it to dhcp or give it a static ip.  If it's anything like ADTPro on my Apple II then I need to give it an ip.  If I hook it up directly to my pc how would I configure it?

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Was that a regular cable or a crossover cable when you hooked it to you PC directly?

That's probably the simplest way to do it -- manually set your PC to 192.168.0.1 after you disconnect it from the LAN. A regular cable would work then, not a crossover. 

Alternatively I guess you could scan your network and see if the xbox is on there? It's been a very long time since I had to do this but as I recall, the network part was pretty simple. It was getting the exploits installed and the new drive paired that was a bit of a hassle. 

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

That's probably the simplest way to do it -- manually set your PC to 192.168.0.1 after you disconnect it from the LAN. A regular cable would work then, not a crossover. 

Alternatively I guess you could scan your network and see if the xbox is on there? It's been a very long time since I had to do this but as I recall, the network part was pretty simple. It was getting the exploits installed and the new drive paired that was a bit of a hassle. 

So if I just plugged the Xbox into my PC directly and set the IP of the Xbox to 192.168.0.1 I should be able to ftp into it?  Or do I have to set the IP of my PC to that address also?

They need to be on the same subnet with the same mask. DNS and gateway don't matter because you're going peer to peer. 

keep the Xbox on 0.15

set your PC to 0.1

they can't have the same IP or it won't work, but if they're on the same subnet it should. 

Filezilla is good, port 21 is standard FTP, and you could set it to open/anonymous if you're not putting it online. 

What are you loading into it? Emulators? I should haul out my modbox, it was a slick thing. At least I remember it that way. Maybe it seems slow and janky now!

33 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

They need to be on the same subnet with the same mask. DNS and gateway don't matter because you're going peer to peer. 

keep the Xbox on 0.15

set your PC to 0.1

they can't have the same IP or it won't work, but if they're on the same subnet it should. 

Filezilla is good, port 21 is standard FTP, and you could set it to open/anonymous if you're not putting it online. 

What are you loading into it? Emulators? I should haul out my modbox, it was a slick thing. At least I remember it that way. Maybe it seems slow and janky now!

Yeah the latest version if Coinops, a Mame like emulator.  That's pretty much all I use it for.

• Like 1

Hi Tempest.

I think I might have your answer, especially if you're using UnleashX for the FTP. Make sure your are set to DHCP rather than Static IP. The IP you see in the bottom-right corner of the UnleashX dash will change from a 192.160.0.something to 10.0.1.something. Then you'll be able to FTP in under user ID xbox and password xbox, all in lowercase, with port 21. Also, set your Max Number of Connections to between 5-10. I'm using 10, and I set my Filezilla max to 9 to prevent jamming it up.

I've also got a video on how to get it all done and I demo moving over an "HDD Ready" game or two. In fact, I'm actually FTPing (not a real verb) to my OG right this moment. :) 

Here's the vid. Hope all of this gets you up and running. Drop me a line if I can be of any help along the way.

- Blaine

I think I'm going to upgrade the softmod first as there's a new one that's still being updated.  After that I can put UnleashX on it and try this FTP method.  Right now I've got XBMC and that old Blades skin (like the original 360 had), but I'm not adverse to a different dashboard.

I put UnleashX on it last night using the new softmod technique and all went well.  I'm not sure I care for the look of UnleashX though (it's alright), what other dashboards or skins are recommended?

I solved my FTP problem by plugging my Xbox directly into my router rather than through my hub.  I repurposed an old Linksys router into a hub running openwrt and it works just fine with my other systems, but the Xbox didn't like it for some reason.  The second I plugged it into my router instead it got an IP instantly and I can FTP into it.  Strange.

Jumping in late.. but just to say, if you're really using a HUB (as opposed to a switch) it's time to dump that thing in the trash. There is zero reason to torture your network with one of those anymore when there's cheap switches for 10-20 bucks or something,.. just saying :)    Do they even still sell hubs anymore???

'Course most home consumer routers have a built in switches (usually at least 4 ports) as you now noticed when you plugged in your xbox to it. As you figured out, you shouldn't need to do anything but plug your Xbox into your network and set it to DHCP. As long as you get an IP from your network and all your stuff are in the same local subnet (as they normally should be) then you should be able to ftp directly to it. 

29 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Jumping in late.. but just to say, if you're really using a HUB (as opposed to a switch) it's time to dump that thing in the trash. There is zero reason to torture your network with one of those anymore when there's cheap switches for 10-20 bucks or something,.. just saying :)    Do they even still sell hubs anymore??

I misspoke, it's a switch. It's actually an old router I turned into a switch.

I'm sure the old skins are laying around somewhere online.  I'm currently debating whether to upgrade CoinOps on my Xbox.  I've got 5 but they're up to 8 with a lot of bug fixes.  However, the v8 "Massive" is like 60 GB to download.  Granted my v5 is over 66GB but that's already downloaded.  I'm not sure if I can just DL config files without just getting all the games essentially for a 2nd time.